Author Topic: Chocolate Fudge Cake  (Read 23261 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Chocolate Fudge Cake
« on: June 12, 2010, 01:32:42 pm »
Chocolate Fudge Cake
170g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarb of soda
140g castor sugar
140g oil ( I use rapeseed)
140g milk.
20g cocoa, sieved
60g golden syrup
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

Put all the ingredients into the TM bowl, liquid ones first and mix 30sec/ Speed 4.Pour into greased and lined 18cm sandwich tins (mine are 18cm x 4cm)
Bake @150c 25-30mins fan oven( in my oven it takes 35mins) Allow to cool in cake tins for 5 mins then turnout onto a cooling rack.
Wash and dry the TM bowl.
When cake is cold make Fudge Icing.
60g butter, cubed
2 tbsp water ( 15ml x2)
60g sugar.
Place these into the TM bowl and mix 50c/spoonspeed/1 minute or until the sugar is dissolved .Then add
140g icing sugar
20g cocoa, sieved
Mix  30sec/speed 4, stop, scrape down and mix  20sec/ speed 4
The mixture should be  lovely and glossy.
Spread half for the middle of the cake and with the rest on top. Decorate with chocolate vermicelli, chocolate covered coffee beans or whatever.
You can then fight over the TM bowl!!

I've also made this using "Doves" gluten free plain flour and gluten free baking powder for a friend who is a Coeliac. It worked perfectly.

Member's comments

RoxyS - it is quite rich but oh, so nice. Even with not reading the recipe correctly and having to fix that problem, what a lovely cake - the texture was perfect and the taste wonderful. If I wasn't making it with my children in mind I would have a go at adding some grated orange rind and maybe replacing the water with orange juice in the icing to give it a jaffa type taste.

RoxyS - This time I used 50g of coconut oil and 90g of grapeseed oil in the cake. Blended it on 50C for 1 min then kept the temp at 50C for the rest of the mixing to ensure that the coconut oil didn't re-harden. I cooked it in a bundt tin and it cooked beautifully. The texture was more like what yours looked like Cornish Cream rather than my last effort. I used 20g of coconut oil and 40g of butter in the icing. Didn't want to overpower the taste of the cake. I added hot water from the kettle to soften the coconut oil and proceeded as per the recipe but for slightly longer. Decorated the cake with some shredded coconut.

Thought the cake might be a bit heavier due to the coconut oil but it was beautiful - texture was great, and the cake was light and tasted fantastic - better than my last effort I reckon.
Think this is my all time favourite chocolate cake recipe to date.  I've also made it as little loaf cakes and muffins and they came out so beautifully.

Ceee - It is such a light, fluffy, bouncy cake! Basically fool-proof. The first batch I made I put in the oven, not realising that I was putting it into an oven that was effectively off (DS had switched on the light but not the temperature). I then switched on and it came out lovely! Iced with the mixture as well. It was rather a cold evening so the topping needed some coaxing. Made again two days later and iced with caramel and coffee mock cream and flake sprinkles! Both times this cake has been demolished within a day and a half.

Hally - Have just taken this out of  the oven. Nearly 1 hour cooking time. Cant wait for it to cool so I can ice and eat.

Wonder - I made this in the two 8 inch tins as suggested and there was very little mixture and they only rose to about 1inch each. They look and smell beautiful but none of my TMX cakes seem to rise very much. I've checked my baking powder and bi carb and they are both within there use by. Could the height of the tins make a difference?

CC - Wonder, I use 7 inch cake tins(18cm) and they rise every time. My SIL makes them in 8 inch and they don't rise as  much, so it's not your cake making ability.

Wonder - I think in future if I made 1.5 times the recipe it would be the right amount for the two tins.

VHJ - YUM YUM YUM. This cake is delish. Made 2 mixes yesterday - 1 in a slab tin then cut in half and sandwiched together and the other in my bunt tin. Used the slab tin as I only have 1 x 7" tin. Used the icing mix included with the recipe for the one sandwiched together and the chocolate ganache from the EDC  for the other. I love ILB's Chocolate cake recipe but this on is definitely going to rival it. So light but moist. Thanks CC for a fabulous recipe.

Julie) -  I did as Wonder did and did 1 ½ times the cake amount for my 2 x 20cm tins.  I had to use SR flour as I didn't have enough plain, so left out the baking powder and as you can see the cake rose perfectly and in fact I'll probably just use SR flour next time.
The cake is lovely and moist, my family thought it was wonderful.  I didn't decorate it as such this time but I wanted to show how lovely the cake itself is. Thanks Cornish for a great recipe.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:50:10 am by judydawn »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Chocolate Fugde Cake
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 02:02:20 pm »
mmm looks fabulous Cornish Cream. Have printed the recipe ready to make.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 02:22:51 pm »
Looks absolutely superb - great work  :-* :-* :-* MrsT is very impressed too.  Had to wipe her drool off the keyboard  ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 02:32:24 pm »
All I can say is......
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 03:27:20 pm »
That's a great looking cake Cornish Cream, such great height achieved.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 03:42:24 pm »
Thanks jd.I make this cake very often and it works everytime.Would be interesting to see if it would work in different format ie muffins,traybake or bundt pan.Will play around sometime.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 04:48:09 pm »
*wipes dribble from chin* I have put this straight into the file to try next weekend as we have a couple of special days coming up  :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 12:40:21 am »
Gotta love any recipe that starts with "put all the ingredients into the bowl".
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 03:02:15 am »
Couldn't agree more Cathy79. Will probably make this one in the next couple of days as we are right out of cakes at the moment.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 08:46:40 am »
This looks amazing. I try to make cakes that I may only want one piece-I could eat most of this. I love cake, especially chocolate ones.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 01:57:23 pm »
Well, I did make this this afternoon and Cookie you'd be doing well to eat too much of it, it is quite rich but oh, so nice. Made a slight blue when making it and got it into the tin and into the oven then looked back at the recipe and realised I'd neglected to add the sugar as I hadn't had any blitzed. So, out of the oven it came and back into the TMX bowl it had been mixed in. Blitzed the sugar in my other bowl, (thank goodness for the second bowl) and then back into the oven. As it hadn't looked enough mixture to make two cakes without the sugar I had DD (5 yrs) weigh out more oil and milk into a bowl so was already starting a second one when I realised my mistake with the first. Anyway I made the second mix and it was heaps enough to have made two cakes but I put it in the one tin. With the two cakes cooking at the same time it seemed to take a long time for them to cook. The first cake took almost an hour.

The first cake still ended up smaller than the second one but I joined them together anyway and iced them according to the recipe. What a lovely cake - the texture was perfect and the taste wonderful. If  i wasn't making it with my children in mind I would have a go at adding some grated orange rind and maybe replacing the water with orange juice in the icing to give it a jaffa type taste. My eldest DS said there is no way he wants me to do that with the cake - he likes it just like it is.

Thanks for the recipe CC. Will add a photo of my disproportional cake.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 02:31:40 pm »
Thanks RoxyS for comments and the idea of adding orange to make it a jaffa type cake.Your cake looks wonderful even though you had a mishap in the making of it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 03:13:32 am »
It looks great Roxy. Not mishappen at all. I'm even more tempted to try it now you've said it was rich!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 11:17:16 am »
Good work RoxyS - bet it tasted great.  How much is left  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:27 am »
None. There were fights for the last pieces. Certainly went down a treat. Will have to make another one.