Author Topic: Dinner Spinner - links to reviews  (Read 19281 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Dinner Spinner - reviews & links
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 07:56:20 am »
Well done Judy.

While I'm really enjoying the recipes in dinner spinners I'm very unhappy with the book format, is anyone else having problems? I'm finding the quantities on one side and method on the reverse very annoying and time wasting. More often than not as I'm looking for a recipe the closure falls out and the pages go everywhere. I think I will need to scan the pages and keep a PDF version on my iPad because the book format really turns me off using it and I think it will soon be pushed to the back of the cupboard, DH has already refused to make anything from the book after only 1 try! 

Sorry Tenina I know how much work has gone into the book and the recipes are great, but I just find the format unusable.

I have also found it difficult and have scanned the pages and printed them side by side. If the ingredients and method were on the same side it would be fine, but it's too tricky as is.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 08:34:59 am »
Julie, I can't believe you type up all your recipes - you make so many different recipes it would almost be a full time job typing them up.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 08:59:33 am »
Yep.  When I buy a new book, I start a folder under the book name and go through the book and type up the ones I want to make.  If we like the recipe it gets its own page with a photo (if I've taken one) and then gets 'filed' away in its category. 

The trouble is I can't keep up with the number of recipes I have on my computer to try.   :-))

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:06 am »
You can be sure Tenina will read these comments and take then all on board. I am also sure this little book was just a quickie put out to keep us interested whilst she waits for the big book to be published.  The saving grace for Dinner Spinner is the fact that the recipes are great  ;) 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 09:37:17 am »
Wonder I know its a bit of an extra expense but have you thought about downloading the Dinner Spinner app onto your ipad? I have the book, the app on my iphone and ipad, much prefer to use the app than the book, much better set out than flipping the DS over all the time.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:52 am »
Jeniwa, I have thought about purchasing the app but I refuse to pay twice for the same thing and don't like looking at iPhone apps on the iPad, I find them quite grainy when magnified x 2. Once I've decided which recipes are keepers I'll just type or copy the pages into a format I'm happy with and store them in Evernote.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 02:28:42 pm »
Well done Judy.

While I'm really enjoying the recipes in dinner spinners I'm very unhappy with the book format, is anyone else having problems? I'm finding the quantities on one side and method on the reverse very annoying and time wasting. More often than not as I'm looking for a recipe the closure falls out and the pages go everywhere. I think I will need to scan the pages and keep a PDF version on my iPad because the book format really turns me off using it and I think it will soon be pushed to the back of the cupboard, DH has already refused to make anything from the book after only 1 try! 

Sorry Tenina I know how much work has gone into the book and the recipes are great, but I just find the format unusable.

This is great feedback Wonder…will take it onboard. We had looked at a few formats, wanted a point of difference of course…but this is good to know for future projects…have had a few ideas to enhance this spinner concept…but havent had time to follow up with printers yet…

Talk soon :)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Re: Dinner Spinner - links to reviews
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:41 pm »
Well I ended up buying the app version of this as I am really trying to limit the number of cookbooks I buy due to space and most end up sitting on my shelf unused.

I have to say this is excellent value and I would make most of the recipes on this app, whereas I usually on make a handful from books I buy (if that).

Here is a summary of my thoughts on this (I have made 10 of the recipes - mainly summer ones and I am planning to a few others in the winter months) app:

Positives:
A variety of recipes
Categorised according to type of food - chicken,  pork, vegetarian, etc
Novely of the spinner
Most of the food is quick and simple to make
The recipe ingredients relevant to each step are stated in each step
New recipes will be added for free
Summer and winter recipes
Love that there is a photo with each recipe (although end result does look a little different sometimes)
That the author is reading reviews and taking them on board  ;D
A variety of cuisines are represented eg Asian, etc
It's cheaper than buying the book at the introductory price hehe
The fact that it is available as an app or book

Things to change:
Sometimes I think the serving size stipulated is too generous (but maybe 'cos I have the recipe on its own instead of with salad, etc as suggested.
I think it would be good if there was a 'home' button that takes you straight back to the 'spinner' part instead of having to flick back.
the fact that it didn't come up as an ipad app (only iphone) so i thought it wasn't available to me as an ipad owner when it is and you just have to enlarge it.

Looking forward to trying more of Tenina's recipes and future apps

Well done Tenina

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 02:54:07 pm »
serving sizes are buggers. You really need to make a recipe once to know how much it makes to make a judgement. DD is doing Weight Watchers and is forever asking me "but how many people does it serve!!!" because everyones serve is different.

Does anyone know what is the standard size (rule of thumb) serve of meat, vegetables, starch etc per serve?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »
I have noticed that there is some  kind of recording feature that keeps happening when I try to make a recipe (with the updated app). Does anyone know what this is about??

I'm glad the weather is cooling down so I can make some of the wintry recipes.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 07:47:15 am »
Am just about to make Chicken Pot Pie with Parmesan Shortcrust for dinner tonight. I just popped on to see if there was a review and there wasn't, so maybe its a fairly new one on the app.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand