Author Topic: Stain on TM Lid  (Read 8702 times)

Offline Patzee

• View Profile
Stain on TM Lid
« on: June 16, 2012, 02:25:08 pm »
Hi, I cooked some tomato sauce and added some fresh chillis.  I didnt clean for about two hours now find that there are dark red stains on the top of the lid that I cannot clean.  Can someone offer some suggestions as to how to clean these stains.  Many thanks

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Stain on TM Lid
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:49:40 pm »
Patzee the stain should disappear in time each time you give it a wash. I have never had the lid stain before, but I have with the MC and seal on the lid,
and they are not stained now. :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 09:21:48 pm »
Mine stained the first time I made tomato ketchup, it disappeared after a couple of washes.  Now I spray the lid top and bottom with cooking spray when making ketchup and it doesn't stain.

Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 11:27:39 pm »
That's a good tip, Knittercook, it would work with most strong coloured recipes.  Thanks.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:33:48 pm »
I'd like to say thanks for that tip too, knittercook.  Inspired!
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 12:11:26 am »
Good idea. Will have to try that. Especially with curries and some sauces :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 12:41:14 am »
Patzee, if you can't wash your bowl etc immediately, at least soak it until you can get back to it (by that I mean fill the bowl with water, not immerse the whole bowl in water).  It makes it so much easier to clean the bowl if you do this.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 02:13:14 am »
Don't worry about the stains  :) :) it just proves that you use it!!! My kettle, toaster and coffee machine all look well used and loved too ... because they are!!!  ;D ;D ;D (oh and yes they will disappear after a while  ;))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Patzee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 12:39:18 pm »
Thanks everyone for your adivice and suggestions.  Much appreciated.  Will keep washing the lid until the stain disappears, but will definately clean it immediately next time.     ;D

Offline Curry Diva

• My spinach curry will put hairs on your chest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:23:34 am »
Good thread. This happened to me 2 days ago. I thought it was predominantly the 2 red capsicums I put in the recipe but the 2nd batch, minus caps, stained terribly as well. I was worried when the miracle spray didnt remove it. Nor a soak in vinegar/bicarb overnight. B4 I found this thread I whipped out the euki oil (neat). Viola - the red on the lid and white casing lifted effortlessly. I'll be employing the oil spray trick next time. Thanks for the advice forum, even if it was typed b4 I owned my TMX. Happy saucing.
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:46:53 am »
I recently did a demo for a lady who asked whether TMX would be able to grind Achiote as she had difficulty grinding it in a pestle and mortar. So we tried it out. The TMX ground the Achiote perfectly but I did notice that the lid and especially the gasket were quite stained. The stain was particularly difficult to shift and so I eventually resorted to using bleach which got rid of 90% of the stain. Hopefully the rest will fade with use  :-\.

A tip I heard about also is to stretch a sheet of clingfilm over the bowl before putting the lid on - that stops powder caking on the underside of the lid and could also help to prevent staining. Will have to try that next time.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:18:38 am »
Achiote? I had to,look that one up, interesting never heard of to before.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 10:20:28 am »
Achiote? I had to,look that one up, interesting never heard of to before.
Me to AB.I have never seen it for sale either.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 11:43:40 am »
You didn't give any clues so I had to go and check it out too.  ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 02:53:00 pm »
I often use Achiote (also called Annatto) to colour/flavour rice when making yellow rice with raisins (a classic South African dish that accompanies Bobotie) instead of using turmeric. The seeds are VERY hard and notoriously difficult to grind to a fine powder. For those who might be interested, I copied the following from about.com:

Traditional Uses for Achiote/Annatto:

Annatto was, and still is, used as a culinary spice, food colorant, commercial dye, and for medicinal purposes. Caribbean natives were adding achiote to their dishes for flavour and colour long before Europeans arrived. However, they also used it as cosmetics, fabric dye, body paint, sunscreen, insect repellent, and as medicine. Some historians theorize that the term "red-skins" comes from the use of achiote as body paint, because it is a natural dye and turns the skin a reddish colour. (Wolfe, 1985) Also, the “Aztecs used annatto seeds to intensify the colour of their chocolate drink.” (Raghavan, 2006)

Culinary Uses:

Commercially, annatto is used to add yellow colour to chorizo, butter and margarine, cheese, and smoked fish. On the Spanish speaking Caribbean islands it’s used to make yellow rice and sometimes added to sofrito. In the French Caribbean it’s used to make blaff recipes. (Houston, 2005).
Achiote powder mixed with other spices and herbs can be turned into a paste to marinate and give a smoky flavour to meats, fish and poultry. A popular product made with ground achiote is sázon, available in small foil packets ready to use in your recipe. Most sázon brands contain MSG, but Badia does not.

Achiote seeds are steeped in cooking oil (achiote oil) or lard (achiotina), infusing them with colour and flavour. Sautéing in or cooking with the oil or lard colours the rice, paella, meats, soups, stews, fish, and sometimes yuca dishes.

Taste and Aroma:

When used in small amounts primarily as a food colorant, annatto has no discernible flavour. However, when used in larger amounts to add flavour, it imparts an earthy, peppery flavour with a hint of bitterness. Achiote seeds give off a slightly floral or peppermint scent.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.