Author Topic: Samosa Pastry for baking  (Read 8145 times)

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
Samosa Pastry for baking
« on: May 06, 2012, 05:26:56 am »
Samosa Pastry
Makes 6

Ingredients
125 grams of plain flour
30 grams of butter
2 tablespoons of milk at room temperature

Method
Put flour into TM and blitz on speed 6 for 4 seconds, this is instead of sifting.
Add the butter and blitz again on speed 6 for 4 seconds or until it looks like breadcrumbs.
Add the milk through the hole in the lid knead for 30 seconds or until a dough forms.
Tip out onto lightly floured board or silicone mat
Gently knead then divide dough into 6 potions, form each portion into a ball and roll out to form a 6” (15cm) round.
Rest in the fridge for 30 mins.
Cut each round in half, then divide filling equally between the semicircles of pastry, covering only half of the semicircle.
Dampen the edges with water then fold over and seal to form triangular shaped pasties which will enclose the filling completely.
Bake at 180´ for 20 minutes.

I have been looking for a recipe for baked samosas for some time and came across this in an old book called, “Hot & Spicy” by Louise Steele. The recipe says they can be fried but I prefer to bake them and they are quite nice. I use the samosa filling from the Indian cook book.
Chief cook and bottle washer

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Re: Samosa Pastry for baking
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:55:33 am »
Thanks Lucy Lu

I will try this.  I found the method listed in the Indian cookbook of frying twice quite laborious and oven baking would be healthier too.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Samosa Pastry for baking
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:57:08 am »
DD made these yesterday with a recipe she found. She had to add more liquid to the pastry but they turned out well. I will get the recipe of the filling from her and post it.

.     These were baked.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/