Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6117045 times)

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
What have you been doing today?
« Reply #19380 on: February 25, 2016, 05:01:27 am »

I've had a few days off sick with diverticulitis just back from a ultrasound, I had to drink a ltr water and hour before thought I was going to bust, my poor bladder ain't what it use to be. To make things worse they were running late. I survived that traumatic experience.
Next is a colonoscopy. Hopefully not for a little while.
I asked the dr if I should avoid nuts and seeds, he said no. I thought that strange as what I have read said not to have them. I'll ask my real dr when I see him. Had a see another Dr as mine is away.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:16:37 am by jeninwa »
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #19381 on: February 25, 2016, 05:55:54 am »
You poor thing. I remember years ago having an ultrasound and I just couldn't make it. So we called into a service station and I rushed to the toilet. I bought a 1 litre of water and drank that in the 20 minutes or so I had before the ultrasound and they didn't know the difference.
Jenny I've had a few colonoscopies and only once was I asked to not have seeds etc for a week before. Usually you have a bland, white diet for 3 days before and then nothing the 24 hours before and drink the 'yuk.'
Take care and I hope your diverticulitis is improved. Lots of people over 21 seem to have it. Take care.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19382 on: February 25, 2016, 06:10:14 am »
You certainly don't need anymore problems Jenny.  Well done on holding onto that litre of water for an extended period, it's so cruel making you wait extra time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #19383 on: February 25, 2016, 08:33:05 am »
Jeninwa, I have a problem with diverticulitis too and was told to limit the amount of seeds and nuts I eat, as well as corn kernals or anything that can be caught in the pockets in the wall of the bowel.   I also have to have regular colonoscopies.  I'm told that if you sip the prep drink through a straw it's much easier to get through it.   
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19384 on: February 25, 2016, 08:57:51 am »
Margaret I don't think I could sip the prep drink! I swallow it down as quick as I can and hope it stays there. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #19385 on: February 25, 2016, 12:19:02 pm »
I also suffer from diverticulitis. I've tried to narrow down the things that set it off, and corn is the one thing I suspect set off my last bout. We don't often eat corn, but had eaten it twice in the few days leading up to my last bout.
The other suspect is Flax seed ( linseed). I was told that the body does not break down whole flax seeds. To receive the full benefit from them nutritionally, they should be ground. My diverticulitis has played up more in the last 8 months than ever before. I wondered if the Nutty Seed crackers were the culprit as I have been making them a lot in recent times. From now on, I will grind the flax seeds before adding them to the recipe.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19386 on: February 26, 2016, 12:12:00 am »
That's interesting Katj. At least with a thermomix we can grind the seeds down.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #19387 on: February 28, 2016, 10:10:15 am »
I worked with a girl who couldn't eat seeds from tomato for the same reason.

Family here for weekend and I had a sleep when they left and now just cutting out more items for my community sewing; bags, pillowslips, little quits among the list.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #19388 on: February 28, 2016, 10:29:28 am »
Ooh Jen I know exactly how you feel. I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago. Drank the 1 litre of water and was in so much pain I went to the toilet a little before I left home and then was asked to release some more from my bladder when I got there only to be told that wouldn't work and I should empty and have an internal ultrasound. Complete waste of drinking water!! All the best X

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #19389 on: February 28, 2016, 08:03:46 pm »
Linseeds are hard little seeds so I can see why they say to grind them. The only thing I have linseed in is LSA, which I make myself on a weekly basis and keep in the fridge.  I use golden linseed as I believe it is better than brown and I have also read that cooking (or, more specifically, heating) linseed diminishes it's beneficial attributes (that's not the right word I am looking for, but it seems it is too early for my brain to kick into gear and come up with the appropriate word!).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
« Reply #19390 on: February 29, 2016, 12:38:53 am »
I had the same thing happen to me once, so uncomfortable with a full bladder, and it wasn't necessary!

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #19391 on: February 29, 2016, 10:41:23 am »
Had to take my thermie in today because it was sick; sick of kneading dough I think because the knead button wouldn't work but all the rest was OK. They were very good and looked at it and found the problem right away and the answer was two new blades and it worked. A lot of money but well worth it. I had to buy bread on the weekend which was not good. Katj, I did what you said and waited until Monday so I could use it over the weekend with the family here.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19392 on: February 29, 2016, 10:50:38 am »
That was wise advice from Katj.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #19393 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:20 am »
Glad you got it fixed Troupie. It would have been hard to survive a weekend without your Thermie, especially with GK's sleeping over.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19394 on: February 29, 2016, 11:54:12 am »
That's great Troupie, it's lucky HO are close to you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.