Author Topic: Question for Crio Bru Drinkers...  (Read 12060 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Question for Crio Bru Drinkers...
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:39:20 am »
I was wondering if anyone can tell me why my Crio Bru is oily? Is is supposed to be like that?

Any info would be appreciated :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Question for Crio Bru Drinkers...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:00:18 am »
Sorry Amy, I've still got a full bag of Crio Bru and have no idea what to do with it apart from the panacotta in the christmas ebook.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 11:19:16 am »
Amy it does seem to have a tiny bit of oil/fat or something when you brew it. According to the pack there is no fat in it. If you are concerned you could always ask Tenina on her facebook site.
When you made your concentrate how much water did you use? I have seen variations from 500 ml to 800 ml. I use round 600-700 ml. Then when I make it up I only put in about 1 cm or less.
I've just discovered the new flavour Maracaibo. I love it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:26:08 am »
I thought there might be a trace of some sort of oil Cookie, and from a health perspective it doesn't bother me, but I just find the texture in my mouth very unpleasant :P
I might ask Tenina if she has experienced it and what I could do to prevent it :)
I followed Tenina's recipe of 150g Crio to 500ml water. That was only with Cavalla and I found it very weak, so I might play around with it next time to make it stronger.
I saw your post on another thread about the Maracaibo, so I bought some too ;D I haven't tried it yet but I'm looking forward to it!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 09:48:56 pm »
Cookie, which recipe do you use for the bru? I remember one I looked at had a lot of sugar and turned me off but I'm interested in the health benefits.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 06:00:32 am »
I don't like sugar in my tea or coffee Wonder so I just brew the crio without it. If I am making concentrate I use 150g crio to 500/600 ml water.
Cook for 15 minutes, 90 degrees speed 2. I then let it cool and put it through a fine sieve. I use the concentrate and add boiling water a milk as in coffee. The crio can be dried and then brewed up a second time. Tenina recommends adding vanilla , but I don't do that now.

At first I didn't enjoy the taste but felt I had to use it up. I am now on my third order. I especially love the new Maracaibo (?) flavour. I just enjoy it instead of coffee at least once during the day.

Amy have you tried the Maracaibo yet?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:03:22 am by cookie1 »

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:26:10 am »
I don't put sugar in my Crio either, I like it with just some skim milk :)
I have been using the same method as you Cookie. In fact, I just put another batch of concentrate on using the grounds from my last lot ;)

I haven't tried the Maracaibo yet. I've found I prefer to make the concentrate, because then I can refrigerate it and get the oil off the top. Its much more pleasant to drink that way. I will make a Maracaibo concentrate when I've used up this lot of Cavalla :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:26:32 am »
Thanks Cookie and Amy I might make up some concentrate tonight. DD asked for the crio bru panacotta so I've got the grounds from that to use. Perfect timing.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 07:13:44 pm »
I enjoy the concentrate but not a fan of straight brewed crio but maybe i need to do like cookie snd just keep going lol.. An acquired taste for sure.. I add some form of sweetener to mine... Lately i have stevia drops..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:30:10 pm »
Frozzie, I would definitely say Crio is an aquired taste. I bought my first two bags a few weeks ago, and after drinking the first cup I thought "how am I going to get through all this?" But then a couple of hours later I found wanting another one and now I love it :D

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 11:12:44 pm »
It is an acquired taste but so worth the afford IMO I started drinking it with a little maple syrup now I drink it straight I have one of there travel mugs, so quick and easy in the mornings to take with me.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 01:12:51 am »
If I don't have concentrate made up and I feel like one I use the travel mug. 2 tablespoons makes me 2 brews. Especially of the Maracaibo.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 02:05:08 am »
I made up the concentrate this morning and will try it in place of my coffee this afternoon.  Amy I found the oily/fatty layer offputting so glad you mentioned it.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 02:21:21 am »
I hope you enjoy it Wonder. I'm enjoying mine a lot more now that I make the concentrate and can scoop the oily layer off the top :)

Cookie, before I started making the concentrate I would use about 4 tbsp of Cavalla to get the strength I enjoyed. I would use the grounds over a couple of days and just add a fresh tsp of granules for each brew. Would you say I'd only need half of that for a brew of Maracaibo?

Jenny, I agree, I think its worth it :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 05:29:02 am »
Well I've had my first cup and it reminded me of very weak hot chocolate (made with water and not milk). I'll keep trying some over the next few days as I have a fair amount of the concentrate but I can't see I'll be a big fan. DH made his afternoon smoothie with the granules and really liked it.

How many time do you reuse the granules? I must say I'm a bit skeptical about the amazing properties of the granuales after they have been cooked for 15 minutes and then reused.