Author Topic: Bourke street bakery green olive bread  (Read 6166 times)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
Bourke street bakery green olive bread
« on: November 03, 2012, 02:43:14 am »
Does anyone have the recipe for the soft green olive bread that is sold by Burke street bakery? The bread's texture is similar to chookie's Turkish bread.

stacelee

Re: Bourke street bakery green olive bread
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:16:04 am »
If it is a flatbread...it might be the one that is in their cookbook.  It uses their olive oil dough recipe, and has a topping of olive oil, rosemary leaves and chopped black olives (I assume that you would just substitute green ones).  I can type out the instructions if you like.  I use the olive oil dough recipe all of the time and my family really like it...I have made flatbread with it quite a few times.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 04:39:55 am »
Ohhhhhh, yes pretty please! It was scrummy and well worth replicating at home. Thank you!

stacelee

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 02:10:37 am »
Olive Oil Dough
600g strong flour
13g fresh yeast
400ml water
20ml extra virgin olive oil
20ml milk
15g sea salt

Method using normal mixer
put all ingredients into bowl of mixer fitted with dough hook.  Mix on low speed for 2 minutes, then increase the speed to high and continue mixing for 5 minutes.
Place the dough in a container that has been sprayed with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to bulk prove for 1 1/2 hours.  Knock back dough every 30 minutes during the bulk prove.
Once the dough has finished proving, it is ready to be divided and shaped.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Press the dough evenly into a 20cm square block.  Use a divider or blunt knife to cut the dough into even halves.  Trim both halves into oblongs.  They should weigh 500g each. Place the loves on baking trays lined with baking paper.  dust with a little flour and set aside in a warm humid place to prove for about 40 minutes.  The loves should have risen by two thirds and should bounce back when pushed.
Preheat the oven to its highest temperature.  Place the loaves in the oven and spray the oven with water.  Bake for 20 minutes then turn the loaves around and bake for a further 10 minutes, watching carefully to make sure that the loaves do not burn.  Tap the base of the loaves with your fingers and listen - if they sound hollow, the loaves are ready.  Baking should not take longer than 40 minutes in total.

Flatbreads.
Once the dough has finished its bulk prove, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and press down evenly with your hands until it is a rectangle about 25 x 10cm and about 2cm high.  Divide the dough into two even size portions about 500g each trimming each flatbread to create a 25 x 5cm rectangular shape.
Place each flatbread on a baking tray lined with baking paper and use your fingers to press down into the dough and create shallow indents over the surface.  Set aside in a warm place to prove for 15 minutes.
Add the topping of your choice and set aside to prove for a further 15-20 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 180C.  Place in the oven and spray the oven with water.  Bake for 25-30 minutes turning the flatbread around after 15 minutes.  Remove form the oven and leave to cool until you can safely eat it.

Rosemary and olive topping
20ml extra virgin olive oil
2 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
100g roughly chopped pitted black olives (or green???)

Brush each flatbread with the extra virgin olive oil.  Scatter half the olives down each flatbread and sprinkle half the rosemary over each.  Sprinkle with some freshly ground black pepper.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:58:50 am »
Thank you so much stacelee!  This sounds absolutely wonderful!  Have copied it and will be trying it shortly.  Do you know if you can successfully use dry yeast instead of the fresh?

If anyone is looking to buy the book, you can try here  . . .
http://www.fishpond.com.au/advanced_search_result.php?rid=1317653715&keywords=bourke%20street%20bakery

$33.21 and free shipping!!

Offline blackwood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 05:46:10 am »
Wow Goldfish, that's a bargain! I've got that book and I paid a lot more than that!!! It's a great cookbook though...I get hungry everytime I open it up...great recipes, gorgeous photos!

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:07:09 am »
Thank you so so much stacelee for writing out the recipe. You are a gem. Can't wait to try it.  :) :) :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 02:11:32 am »
Yummy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:25:52 am »
I love this book but haven't made anything from it. I will have to try this.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/