Author Topic: What are your favourite "healthy" or relatively low calorie cakes and biscuits?  (Read 4655 times)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
I have made the pear and walnut cake from this forum ( yummy) and very low calorie but I am looking for other yummy (but relatively low calorie ) biscuits and cakes. What are your favourites?

Offline obbie

• View Profile
apple tea cake..    maybe
what about a basic recipe, and reduce sugar, and use a fruit puree sometimes
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Good thread choice. I will watch replies with interest.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
I love the pear and walnut cake since it used only 2 tab of butter and 1/3 cup sugar but was TASTY...did not taste low fat!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I try to make a lot of biscuits that have dried fruit and rolled oats in. The mob get a bit sick of them sometimes though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
I usually just pick out any recipe I want and then adjust it as I go along to make it healthier. Butter and sugar are the two most obvious components to find substitutes for (or just reduce), but I also find substitutes for coconut since it is high in saturated fat, and replace some of the chocolate in chocolate recipes for nuts or dried fruit.
In terms of fours, you can use half wholemeal, or you could try some other ground grains with added raising agents (I'm still experimenting with this).

Have you seen my chocolate muffin recipe Courton? http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=10457.0

Offline ~[fruity]~

• View Profile
I make a 5 cup loaf (sadly not TMX) that you can easily halve the sugar (I usually double the recipe and make 2 loaves)

1 cup SR flour
1 cup liquid (low fat milk / apricot nectar / coconut milk etc etc)
1 cup dried fruit (I usually use fruit medlay)
1 cup oat bran
1 cup raw sugar

Mix all together, pour into paper lined tin, bake 1 hour at 180. Yum~!~
A day without laughter is a day wasted

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Courton, have you tried any of the recipes from Qouirky Jo, Teresa Cutter, Sarah Wilson, Cyndi O'Meara  or My New Roots? Google any of them - plenty of healthy blog sites.

There is much debate about what constitutes healthy eating. I personally eat good fats, including coconut, minimal or no added sugars, gluten free, full cream milks and as low additives, preservatives as possible. Also minimal white foods. Add nuts to everything., and my new favourite is raw cocoa powder.  I do have a packet of stevia - have used once.

I substitute pears, apples , bananas (not always made into a sauce) for sugars, or I may add some dates or a small amount of honey.
I may grind dried chick peas, brown rice or oats (or a combination) instead of flour.  Also I sometimes  add a can of drained legumes instead of flour. Sometimes add chia gel (1 tabs chia with 3 tabs water, soaked until gel consistency) to the mix to bind together or use instead of eggs.

As I freeze any leftovers immediately, I have no problems with cakes or biscuits becoming stale.

Goo luck with the cooking and have fun  ;D

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
Thank you cookie, Amy, fruity and Elle...lots of great ideas!