Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4521205 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #10530 on: November 17, 2013, 08:01:13 pm »
I've had front loaders for over 18 years and have just bought a new Samsung. I haven't noticed much of a difference in wash quality but it has of lot more cycle choices than my last one and you can choose quick washes in 15 min increments if you just want to wash a few things which I'm loving for all the cleaning clothes which I've always hated washing with our clothes but couldn't bring myself to use a whole cycle just for them. I got the Samsung for a great price delivered, installed and removal of my old broken machine for cheaper than The Good a Guys wanted just for the washer.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #10531 on: November 17, 2013, 08:42:56 pm »
Wonder it sounds like your samsung is similar to mine. I have used the quick wash a couple times but I use daily wash for most other washes.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:30 pm »
I also have the Samsung front loader 10Kg, I was always a top loader user but I do love the front loader. I also use the daily wash for most of my washes. Wonder I have used the 15 min quick wash but find they are still quite wet. Do you spin them after that or just hang them out?

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: November 17, 2013, 10:07:18 pm »
I have always had front loaders, they are much more gentle on clothes :) i had never seen a top loader until I came to Aus.
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: November 17, 2013, 10:13:52 pm »
This talk of front loader vs top loader interests me greatly.  :)
ATM I have a top loader, and used to love it but lately it has not been washing things as clean, and I have only heard mixed reviews on front loaders (hated them with a passion til a SIL got one about 3 months ago, and hers is good, but 2 other SILs have them and their clothes [especially whites] never looked clean.  ??? )
So am trying to decide which way to jump when I get to replacing it  ???  :)
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: November 17, 2013, 10:20:11 pm »
I have a speed queen top loader, love it
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: November 17, 2013, 10:24:28 pm »
I have found with the quick wash that I need to spin the items before hanging or if I'm hanging them outside (melbourne weather has been bad and our line is totally in the shade so tend to dry over our heater), I'll just leave them wetter - it does depend what I've quick washed. I use the daily wash for most washes but also use the dark wash and cotton depending on what I'm washing and how big the load is. All cycles on my old washing machine were over 2hrs long so it's great having more flexibility with the timing.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #10537 on: November 17, 2013, 10:39:35 pm »
I have also found the clothes to be dryer than from my top loader. The new front loader spins 1400 turns per minute (depending what cycle I use) but I can adjust the spin speed to what ever suits.
The biggest issue I have with mine is I wish the door opened the other way as mine is located in a corner of the laundry and the door opens the wrong way to make access easy. But a stand would make it easier.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: November 17, 2013, 11:37:37 pm »
Thanks Wonder  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: November 18, 2013, 01:24:28 am »
I've had a front loader before, but changed back to a top loader. I reckon i can load abit more into it, and it's good to be able to just open the lid and add something you've forgotten.  In the front loader, it locks and so you can't do that.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: November 18, 2013, 01:38:17 am »
My front loader has a slight delay so you can add things if you have missed them.

Top loaders would hold more, but i think they tangle  the clothes. I have been told that clothes last longer washed in a front loader.
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: November 18, 2013, 01:43:57 am »
I chose a front loader for several reasons.
They use less water than top loaders. They are much gentler on the clothes and clothes don't get tangled. They need less detergent and I don't use fabric softener. Also these days there is much more choice in load type. Mine does a "hand wash"
which is very useful and works for very delicate items. You can choose temperature on most cycles and range is cold to 95 degrees which I only use for cleaning the machine. I can open the door during most cycles so easy if I forget something.
I am a high achiever in the laundry and I can wash almost any thing in my front loading machine!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: November 18, 2013, 01:56:49 am »
forgot my new Samsung has a handwash cycle and it's great. We have a very small laundry and there is a bench over the machine so it would be impossible for me to change to a top loader. I've never found it doesn't fit enough but we are only a family of four and I seperate colours.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: November 18, 2013, 02:34:27 am »
I am currently investigating washing machines. Just the two of us and I love my top loader. Saw a larger one without an agitator. Interesting. It has been years and years since I have looked. I do not want any electronic stuff just a dial as I know critters like geckos love to chew up the mother boards and cause trauma to the entire family when the washing machine dies not to mention the geckos.

Having said that I am opened minded to having a new gadget to play with and will explore every option. I never use hot water and don't even have it connected to my washing machine. I never separate whites and coloureds. I thought it was illegal anyway. If I bought a front loader I would then have to have a laundry basket which is another bit of stress as I have never owned one and wouldn't have a clue what to buy as there are sooooooo many options.

I thought all washing machines you could just shorten the cycle by turning the dial further around to start them. That is how stupid I am. I guess you could not do that with electronic controls so a short cycle would be handy with that machine. If you use the delicate cycle it is short and sweet but does not spin as long and hard. But I conquer the beast by putting the good old spin on again.

Life is too short to worry about the washing. When the machine is full I turn it on. When it is done I toss everything in the dryer.  I don't want to spend precious hours hanging washing . Not at all PC but I don't care so I won't complain about the cost of the electricity  . Worth every penny and saves ironing not that I ever do that anyway.

Here is a tip have mentioned before. 12 years ago I bought a five litre container of  fabric softener. I pour a small amount on a washcloth and toss it Into the dryer with the clothes. It keeps the towels soft and  stops clinging. I use the same wash cloth over and over maybe 5 times before adding another wee bit of fabric softener to it.  I still have 1.5 litres after all this time.

I will watch this thread with interest to see if I really really want a new washing machine. It interests me how people wash and how passionate you are about your machines. I am not in love with mine but it has been a dear friend.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10544 on: November 18, 2013, 02:40:25 am »
I have a Samsung top loader with no agitator. I love it. With a family I need it to hold a lot of clothes.

Interesting tip Gert. I wash in cold. Everything goes in together and I don't use fabric softener.