Author Topic: Nigellas Ritzy Chicken Nuggets  (Read 63198 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Nigellas Ritzy Chicken Nuggets
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:10:28 am »
Chicken Nuggets
4 serves/20 nuggets

Ingredients:
2 large skinless chicken breasts
250mls buttermilk
2 cups Savoury crackers, I used jatz but any savoury cracker would work

Preparation

Slice chicken breast into bite size pieces or larger if wanting goujons
Pour buttermilk into a freezer bag, add chicken
Let them stand at room temp for 20 mins

Heat oven to 220oC.

Use TM to turn crackers in to crumbs (not too fine)

Crumb chicken & bake on oiled tray for around 15 mins.  I use glad bake or my French baking mat.

These are delicious, the buttermilk makes the chicken tender & they are a delight in the mouth.

For lunch box & snacks I make nuggets, ds loves them cold too
For dinner I make goujons for the family.

These can be frozen before being cooked & baked from frozen, just allow a longer cooking time. Mine have never made it to the freezer.
I mix mayo & sweet chilli as a dipping sauce.
Enjoy

H :)

members' comments

ES - These are really yummy. I have one of her cookbooks with this recipe and I've made it quite a few times. I use chicken thigh fillets and the low fat Jatz or Ritz crackers.

mcmich - I made these for my 22 yr old and his mates and they loved them.

Merlin -  I have been making these with gluten free crackers but prior to my TM I used to crush the crackers in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. Now I do them in the TM and the whole process is much easier. The buttermilk is crucial to the entire recipe, it seems to elevate the taste of the chicken to another level entirely. Great recipe!

Bedlam - so quick and delicious. Thanks for posting Hally.

thermo18 - A big hit in our house Hally so thank you.

medusa - You could also use crushed cornflakes.  I remember seeing a recipe years ago from those four ingredient books that used chicken breast, mayo, crushed cornflakes and melted  butter (cooked in the oven).  I might try them with buttermilk and crushed cornflake crumbs.

JD - We had these for a light tea and as home made buttermilk is so runny, I added a few tablespoons of leftover mashed potato to thicken it so that it would cling to the chicken pieces better.  (got the idea from Uni for thickening dips). It worked and these were delicious.  I got 24 pieces from one very large chicken breast so there is enough leftover for tomorrow's lunch.  Thanks Hally, this is a nice one to keep in mind for the grand-kids.

CarolineW - I took this idea and crossed it with a bit of a KFC thing - crackers blitzed with herbs and cornflakes and gram flour, then coated chicken drumsticks with the mix. I didn't have buttermilk so I added lemon juice to milk and used that. I would usually use mayo to get the coating to stick and I think I'd do that next time. But the marinade time in the 'buttermilk' made them beautifully moist and tender, so I wouldn't skip that bit - I'd do both. They were a hit with all the family.

Bubbles - they were delicious. I just used milk with lemon juice and it worked really well - will definitely make these again. I can't believe how easy they were. Thanks a lot.

DG - they are delish. DH and I even like them and we hate chicken nuggets. These are just like crumbed chicken.... YUM YUM YUM
First time I made them with crushed Ritz biscuits. Second time with cornflakes crumbs. Have to say the cornflake crumbs went crispier and golden. Also added some dried mixed herbs and a sprinkling of onion flakes to the crumbs.

Brumington - they were a real hit with the kids.  Only trouble was my crumbs got a bit soggy towards the end and tended not to stick too well.  I might try the mash potato trick next time.  Perhaps I needed to let the buttermilk drain off a bit more?  I kind of plopped them straight from the buttermilk into the crumbs so it's no wonder they got a bit soggy! Love meals which I can disguise as a treat for the kids!

sals77 - Thanks for this! I made them with vita wheat nine grains tonight and my family loved them!

DJ - Flattened chicken breasts in between baking paper with a rolling pin. Dipped in flour, dipped beaten egg then dipped in blitzed crackers. Shallow fried and served with carrots & homemade oven chips. Top tip mix mayo and the well known red sauce ( or seeded mustard) together for dip. Delicious.

snappy - they taste fantastic! As always I modified to what I had in the house - so soaked in yoghurt and crumbed in cornflakes blitzed in the thermomix.  The kids often have these with salad for a quick weeknight dinner.

astarra - These are great with chicken crimpy shapes biscuits as the crumb - even more chickeny!! 

Wonder - The kids said they were great but they didn't brown up in the oven and didn't seem to be cooking very well so I popped them in the deep fryer for a few minutes - just enough to brown them.

Jamberie - Great recipe, the buttermilk makes the chicken so tender and succulent. 5/5  I pulsed turbo the crackers about 10 times, checking after each one. I also experimented with cooking them on a wire rack and on a silicone sheet to see which would result in a crispier coating...silicone won (and was less messy). I still need to work on getting a real "crunch" though...maybe more oil & less buttermilk next time.

Hally - Mine are not crispy, I think adding oil or a quick fry off would be the only way.

astarra - I have a dairy intolerant DD, I used soy milk, thickened with a bit of potato flakes. (Not too many tho, I just had some in the pantry so used them up.)

TamG - I make chicken nuggets from Annabel Karmel which is a similar method to this and it always gets great comments when I cook them for kids parties. 
In the Annabel Karmel recipe you marinate the chicken in milk, lemon juice, garlic and thyme for 4 hours or overnight (in the fridge).  The coating uses Rice Krispies (Rice Bubbles) and grated parmesan which would be easy to add into the thermomix.   She suggests adding a teaspoon of oil to the coating mix, then you can oven bake the nuggets (or I shallow fry).
Also can vary marinade to use oregano/thyme and paprika, cayenne or tabasco.  Hope this gives someone ideas of flavour variations.

Amy - These are so yummy, I made them tonight using ryvita crackers. Absolutely delicious, thanks for the recipe Hally.

BZB - Thanks Hally for the recipe. The boys like them.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:52:37 am by judydawn »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nigellas Ritzy Chicken Nuggets
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 05:16:14 am »
I love the idea of jatz for the crackers Hally. I would imagine it gives the chicken a lift.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:54:55 am »
hally,  very simple and yummy.  Will make next time the GC are over.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:08:03 am »
I saw his recipe on her app ... Yum
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:25:47 am »
Yes they are delicious. Jatz work well here. Simple, quick & tasty,

Just bought her app, will check it out, i got them off the web a while back since I couldnt stand those frozen imitation chicken nuggets, godness knows whats in them :o. DS asking for  nuggets and me ignoring, now whenever he wants.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:36:03 am »
These sound lovely  :)
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:31:49 am »
These sound really easy Hally. How many nuggets does it make? (I guess that depends on the size of the breasts. Will give these ago on the weekend and see what the kids think.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:33:41 am »

I couldnt stand those frozen imitation chicken nuggets, godness knows whats in them :o.

Jamie Oliver showed everyone on his programme "Ministry for Food" - and here's what in them
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:05:41 am »
CP, luckily my ipad woukdnt play the video

Dede, I use mt barker free range chicken breasts, they are large, i get about 20 nuggets.

I am sure you kids will love them, a much healthier option to bought ones.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:27:51 am »
I like the sound of this, thanks for posting.  Could you tell me what jaz crackers are like please? Hope I've got the name right as I can't see your post as I type this 😃. Are they salty like ritz crackers, or cheesy? I'm guessing that the aren't plain crackers?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:54:54 am »

I couldnt stand those frozen imitation chicken nuggets, godness knows whats in them :o.

Jamie Oliver showed everyone on his programme "Ministry for Food" - and here's what in them
It nearly made me sick when I watched this on the TV here. :P
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:13:02 am »
Jatz are salty crispy crackers.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 09:37:54 am »
Thanks Hally 😘
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 11:01:49 am »
These are really yummy. I have one of her cookbooks with this recipe and I've made it quite a few times. I use chicken thigh fillets and the low fat Jatz or Ritz crackers. I haven't made them for ages - thanks for posting this recipe. I have some buttermilk in the fridge as I made butter yesterday, so I think we'll have any easy Friday night dinner tomorrow! Yum
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline O4aTimtam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 11:10:33 am »
They sound delish Hally - and healthy!   You could always throw in some of Elizabeth's KFC spice mix for a bit of variety ... http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4364.0.

Timtam
Helen from Willetton, Western Australia   |