Author Topic: Apple & Lemon Zest Sorbet  (Read 16118 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Apple & Lemon Zest Sorbet
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:28:38 pm »
Name of Recipe: Apple & Lemon Zest Sorbet from the Polish cooking class in Adelaide 5/5/10
Number of People: Heaps
Ingredients:
150g sugar
zest of 1 lemon
300g apples, roughly chopped - no need to peel
2 x 350g ice cubes
2 egg whites

Preparation:
Place sugar and lemon zest into TM bowl and mill for 10 seconds on speed 10.
Add the apples, the first 350g of the ice and the egg whites.  Blend briefly for 8-10 seconds on speed 10.
Add remaining ice and whilst using the spatula to assist, continue to blend for approximately 1-2 minutes on speed 10 or until all fruit and ice are incorporated.

Serve immediately.

Members' comments
Ruth - Just eating this. I used green apples.  Its really different and creamy.  We all loved it. It was maybe a bit bitter but I probably got too much pith in my lemon zest.   I just use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin and throw it in in long strips as my zester is useless. Do other people do this or should I buy a decent zester, I was hoping I didn't need one with the TMX.

JD - A zester does a much better job Ruth so if you can, I'd get another one but you can do it without one.  Just make sure you cut off all the white pith with a knife before adding the peel in with the sugar to blitz.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:43:57 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline lucyloo

• View Profile
Re: Apple & Lemon Zest Sorbet
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:23:33 am »
sounds like desert!!! I will let you know how it goes.

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 04:44:38 am »
Hi Judydawn
Just wondering do you peel the apples?? I have also heard of a pear/ginger sorbet recipe that is very seasonal - but now that winter is starting to set in puddings/custards etc are on the menu and sorbets are not so popular. Thanks for this thought I think we will try it out.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:54:45 am »
No need to peel the apples earth mumma.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 03:02:44 am »
Thanks JD.  Yeah, no need to peel the apples.  I love Granny Smiths unpeeled for sorbets.

OK - reminds me that I have a lemon and olive oil sorbet to write up.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline ruth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 01:06:29 pm »
Just eating this. I used green apples.  Its really different and creamy.  We all loved it.

It was maybe a bit bitter but I probably got too much pith in my lemon zest.   I just use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin and throw it in in long strips as my zester is useless. Do other people do this or should I buy a decent zester, I was hoping I didn't need one with the TMX.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 01:33:06 pm »
A zester does a much better job Ruth so if you can, I'd get another one but you can do it without one.  Just make sure you cut off all the white pith with a knife before adding the peel in with the sugar to blitz. I loved it too but the only problem was they gave us little wooden spoons to eat it with at the class and I can't stand wood in my mouth (maybe I'm strange).  A plastic spoon would have been so much better.

Offline ruth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:29:34 pm »
Thanks Judy dawn.  I will have a look at zester's then, its good to know what other people use and I love gadgets ;-).  Yes I don't like icypole sticks so I know what you mean.  Its a great sorbet for this time of year.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 03:01:32 pm »
Yes I don't like icypole sticks so I know what you mean. 
Thank you Ruth. For years I've thought I was the only person who hated pop sticks.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 11:05:29 am »
Mmmmm  JD.  I found this recipe of yours while wearching for Apple, Pear and Ginger sorbet recipe.  Nt what I was looking for, but extremely yummy and one that I will try in the next couple of days.  Thank you to the Polish people who shared it.  Bravo to you for making it accessible to us.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution