Author Topic: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe  (Read 138630 times)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: Faffa's best yoghurt recipe
« Reply #165 on: September 29, 2012, 07:26:38 am »
GHM - have you seen this method?  This is the one we use atm . .http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2009/3581/thermomix-yogurt-recipe.html

Offline Bec8112

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2012, 01:25:59 pm »
Made yoghurt 3 times and have had no success. :(

Stringy first 2 times and 3rd slightly better but still not 'set' so very runny.

I have tried 2 different pot set natural yoghurt ( Jalna and Paul's ), also bought a milk thermometer to try getting temps exact.
Used thermosaver all 3 times but not with a towel. I pre-warned it the first 2 times but not with the 3rd attempt.

I really want to make it work!!!! Any tips????

I have an easyio thermos which I might try next, do I need to pre-warm it or add boiling water?

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2012, 03:00:36 pm »
Hi Bec. I had my first yoghurt success yesterday. I used Jalna yoghurt as the started. I used hi lo milk and a temp probe. One added I'd placed in pre warmed thermoserver and left on the bench all night untouched. Lovely thick and creamy. I used the method in the post above yours which is Valerie's.

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »
Hi Bec,

I set my yoghurt in the easy yo, as I can then just put the container in the fridge, without having to decant the yoghurt.
As the yoghurt is already luke warm, (not cold like when you use the easy yo sachets), I fill the thermos with warm water.

Hope this helps,
Sue
Beauty is only fur deep.....

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2012, 11:47:05 pm »
Hi Bec, have you thought of purchasing a starter from cheeselinks? The link is on this thread or you can just google it. I've not had any trouble since purchasing the starter and while it seems a little expensive to begin with there's no waste and you are able to extend it by using some of made yoghurt as a starter for subsequent batches although I haven't treid that yet.

Offline Bec8112

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2012, 04:19:33 am »
I used Valerie's recipe the last time which had the most success.

I might order some of the yoghurt starter.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2012, 04:28:02 am »
The yoghurt starter seems expensive to start with but it gives you enough starter for 250 litres of milk or 250kg of yoghurt!!! I have never had a failure with the starter and never have to worry about whether I have enough starter left/saved or if it is still any good.  ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Bec8112

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2012, 10:47:25 am »
Thanks faffa. So you recommend the one in the opening post, can't remember what it's called.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2012, 02:23:13 pm »
I want to make my second batch of yoghurt tomorrow. I froze some of the batch I made last week, if I defrost that will it be OK as starter or will freezing have damaged cultures in any way???

Bonsai

« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2012, 02:39:33 pm »
Not sure GHM suspect freezing might kill yeasts but not necessarily. Nothing to lose, give it a go

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2012, 12:08:22 am »
The cultures in yogurt are inactivated by freezing and often do not work well to make a new culture. 
They will reactivated after being consumed but don't have the strength of yogurt that has never been frozen.

I suspect this may be the reason some of you are having problems developing a good yogurt from the commercial "pot-set" yogurts because they may have been frozen.

Because of some new laws here in the U.S. some states are requiring that yogurts sent across state lines have to be "pasteurized" which essentially kills the cultures, which is no problem for people who are just eating it as food, but for people who want the active cultures, these are useless.

The Cheeselinks cultures are the same as the ones I use here and you can "re-culture" them at least three or four times.  I have one Bulgarian culture that can be re-cultures several more times. 

I've never had a failure using the dried cultures and I have been making yogurt for decades.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2012, 11:37:49 pm »
I'm heating up some milk in the TMX now to make my first batch of yogurt.  I have only used 1 litre of milk as I plan to use the Easiyo to set it as I don't have a Thermoserver.  Should I reduce any of the cooking times as I'm only making a half serve?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2012, 11:55:13 pm »
Vieve, I'm about to make 1/2 batch of this as well so will reduce all times by 20%.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2012, 12:07:06 am »
Thanks Judy.  I'll reduce the cooking time by 20%.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2012, 12:16:15 am »
I normally only make a half amount and just leave the cooking amount the same but that's just because I'm lazy and have the times already programmed into my head and don't want to think about it!!