Author Topic: Do you think the flexible bakeware is dodgy??  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Renlor

• View Profile
Do you think the flexible bakeware is dodgy??
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:27:02 pm »
Just a quick question for you all.....

We are all aware of the nasties that are in our foods, but do any of you have an opinion on the kind of cookware that you use, or don't use??  I have often wondered about the health aspects of non stick (but still use it out of laziness!) and after all the BPA plastics in the headlines...do any of you wonder about the safety of flexible bakeware?  I own quite a few pieces of the tupperware range (was a dealer)..but now I'm not so sure.

What's your views on it all?

Cheers,

Renae :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Do you think the flexible bakeware is dodgy??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:47:02 pm »
 I love the silicon flexible ranges of cake pans.

much better than tins.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:56:08 pm »
I havent used them but have friends who just love them.  If you are worried why don't you contact Tupperware and ask them if they contain BPA.  This might put your mind at rest!!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 12:42:58 am »
I used a silicone flexible pan yesterday for the first time - to make a batch of raspberry friands - and I was very unimpressed.  They friands were really stuck in the pan and basically had to be levered out with a knife, leaving half the friand still stuck to the bottom.  I thought they were supposed to be better than that ??  BTW - it was a Tupperware one, so a reputable brand.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 12:45:55 am »
Sorry I just don't trust them, I have tried cheap and nasty and expensive and I don't like the fact that they have a "smell" when they are hot, one of the cheap ones I could also taste in the food. I also won't use non stick pans either. I am not a typically paranoid person and I know they say they are perfectly safe ...but they have said that about lots of things.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 01:01:29 am »
I have quite a few different shapes but the only ones I use are the muffin ones.  I spray them first and the muffins just drop out.
I do prefer metal tins though, so much easier to handle than the flexible ones and if they are lined properly, sticking isn't a problem.  Thanks for this question, talking about it I now realise I should get rid of all the flexible ones seeing as they are just taking room up in the top cupboard.  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Renlor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 04:11:32 am »
Tupperware won't tell you... when we used to ask on behalf of our customers, our distributor would just tell us that they have the food standard symbol on the bottom (cup & fork I think) that indicates it is up to the standards for eating from.  I had to google and find out that the microwave rock n serves and also the red cookware (hard, clear plastic) contain bpa. I know it's probably only paranoia, but they have said loads of other stuff has been safe in the past....like our babies bottles, and now after years of use (and exposure) it isn't.  I haven't used my oven ware for ages which is a shame because it cost me crap loads!  And those microwave containers are just so darn handy  ???

Offline Renlor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 04:20:45 am »
Let me rephrase that last post....it should read "my distributorship wouldn't inform me" (not Tupperware) ...I have just looked in the FAQ on the tupperware website and it contains a downloadable file which lists all the products and what plastics are used in each.  I should've looked there first donkeys ago when customers were asking, instead of trusting my distributor.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 06:09:37 am »
I must admit I haven't really tried them. I wanted to buy some but DD asked me not too-she is into chemistry and like stuff. I didn't bother to ask why, I just believed her and haven't bought any. To be honest I don't like the idea very much.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:13:13 am »
Oh, that's disappointing that the T'ware red microwave containers have BPA in them! I have a couple and I really like them. I mostly use pyrex in the microwave, but these are easier and lighter to use.

I only use my two silicone muffin tins, no other flexible stuff. I don't like it as it has to be on a tray in the oven and is difficult to handle when removing the cooked cakes.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand