Author Topic: Help ..... broody chooks  (Read 5298 times)

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
Help ..... broody chooks
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:33:05 am »
Have 4 sussex chooks only 12 months old, have been laying for approx 3 months.  3 of them have gone broody. Do I get rid of them and buy isa browns or is there anything I can do? Had the chooks from chickens so cant chop their heads off.

I refuse to buy eggs, store bought yolks are so pale and have had to stop making curd. Thats really sad as I have only 1 bottle left.
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”. - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: Help ..... broody chooks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:38:43 am »
Just take the eggs out from under them....as long as they haven't already been sitting too long....eek...talk about a kinder surprise  then  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:37 am »
That's what I did when one of ours went broody - had to be awfully persistent though . .

... this might help with some other ideas . .  http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com.au/2009/06/how-to-stop-broody-hen-from-staying.html

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 04:04:49 am »
our kids just tickle them, gets the chickens up and going.. ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 04:15:36 am »
Can I borrow your kids Obbie
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter”. - Martin Luther King, Jr

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 04:17:16 am »
sure Suejen, we have 10 chickens, and get heaps of eggs every day. our kids love them, my DS carrys them around.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 06:07:56 am »
Buy some Isa Browns. 
Love the look of light Sussex,  beautiful.   See if you can buy some fertilized  eggs,  or get some from someone with a rooster,  and stick these under the clucky chooks.

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 06:22:43 am »
Can get fertilized eggs but they are the same sussex, so will do that and will just buy some isa browns. Thanks Chookie.

Maddy have been taking eggs out each night so should be OK.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 06:37:02 am »
We've got a flock of 11 hens & one rooster. 
We just take all the eggs every day - that sorts them out eventually.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 10:55:25 am »
I love having chickens,  problem is that 1/2 are usually roosters.  Don't like cutting the heads off.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 12:06:39 pm »
We have 2 clucky chooks at the moment, they are both sitting on 3 fertile eggs each, we only wanted one hen sitting on the 6 eggs but the other one stole 3 eggs and won't give them up lol.
Oh we'll hopefully we get at least 3 hens from the chickens.
I have heard that putting a clucky chook in a cage and hanging it up so the cool breeze blows around them will stop them being clucky.
We usually just keep taking the eggs and wait until they stop being clucky on their own, until this year when we decided to let her sit.
  I love the Isa browns but unfortunately they are only good layers for a short time.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 01:16:30 pm »
Dede,  Our Isa Browns lay an egg a day for 12 months,  and then in the second year 5 out of the 7 we have will lay an egg a day.  In the third year,  we will get 3 eggs a day from our 7 chooks.

Offline SueJen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 01:18:26 pm »
Isa Browns the best way to go I think

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 08:55:45 pm »
Dede,  Our Isa Browns lay an egg a day for 12 months,  and then in the second year 5 out of the 7 we have will lay an egg a day.  In the third year,  we will get 3 eggs a day from our 7 chooks.

We had Isa browns, the kids loved them because they are so easy to pick up because they squat when you go near them. Ours were great layers for the first two years then they slowed down quiet a lot. We have barneveldas now. So far they still lay an egg a day each. One of the clucky chooks is a bantam and the other one I'm not sure.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.