Author Topic: Breakfast ideas  (Read 6707 times)

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
Breakfast ideas
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:10:25 am »
I'm trying to get away from having cereal for breakfast. I really like the Cyndi O'Meara approach to breakfast. Our kids are 9 and 7 so they quite like the idea of having a varied breakfast.

To help make things easier I've come up with a list so that I don't have to put too much thought into it the night before or in the mornings. I've printed it onto a small card to keep in the kitchen. Many of the ideas came from this forum or from taste.com.au. My approach will be to use natural ingredients. I'd love to hear from anyone else with suggestions.

   Apple crumble
   Bagels
   Baked beans
   Banana bread
   Bircher muesli
   Boiled eggs
   Bread and butter pudding
   Bread with egg in hole
   Breakfast bread
   Breakfast risotto
   Brekky bars
   Brioche
   Croissants
   Current buns
   Damper
   Eggs Benedict
   Eggs Florentine
   French toast
   Frittata
   Fruit
   Fruit – poached
   Fruit bread
   Fruit pizza
   Fruit salad
   Jam
   kedgeree
   Lemon butter
   Marmalade
   Muesli
   Muffins
   Omelette
   Pancakes
   Porridge
   Quiche
   Rosti
   Scrambled eggs
   Scrolls
   Smoothie
   Toast
   Toasted sandwiches
   Tortilla
   Waffles
   Yogurt

Sue from North Queensland

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Breakfast ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:25:16 am »
That's an amazing list, Sue, your children are very lucky to have a mum like you.

I'm afraid I can only just manage my good old favourite, porridge, of a morning.  When we lived in Asia I used to love a mixture of fresh fruit for breakfast, but I had more time then to prepare this each morning.  These days, eggs florentine is my favourite treat.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:56:09 am »
What a fantastic list!!!  Very inspiring.  I will be printing one out an putting it up in my pantry  ;D
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:13:01 am »
We all have the same thing every morning. I often offer to make pancakes or something on the weekend but no one is interested. I don't mind really.
That is an amazing list.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:51:16 am »
Wow can my kids come and live at your place (I've also got a 7 and 9 year old - you might not notice those two, lol).

Options in our house is:
Toast (not sure what dd1 puts on hers - maybe nothing, lol, dd2 has butter, dd3 has jam).
or
Porridge

Oh and I make smoothie most days so they have some of that.

Once a week or so they'll have eggs (usually a weekend but if we have an oversupply of eggs and I have the time maybe once in the week) - so dry fried or scrambled.
A treat is boiled eggs, lol, as they take longer.

Once a fortnight or so they get pancakes. I did make potato cakes/hash brown type things that went down really well the other week so they are also on the a weekend breakfast list.

Oh and they love croissants and (maybe not all of them but at least some) crumpets but rarely get them.

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:01:55 am »
Have you tried the tapioca breakfast pudding in the EDC? It is so yummy. I and the kids love it, it also keeps for ages too.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:04:18 am »
Sue, what a great list you have compiled.  Things are pretty simple around here - DD will have nothing but cereal with cold milk and 2 cups of coffee but I grew on a cooked breakfast so prefer an egg, baked beans, tomato, marmalade or vegemite on toast.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:14:39 am »
How do you stay so slim JD?  I guess there is no bacon on your list!  ;) ;D

We keep it pretty simple here.  During the week we have fruit and chia smoothies and toast or one of Quirky Jo's blender batter muffins.  On Sunday I make pancakes or crepes of some description. :)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 10:19:10 am »
Ha ha Chelsea, not as slim as I would like to be.  Bottom half is where all the extra calories go and the TMX is mostly to blame. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:41:34 am »
Wow Sue!

Have you tried Jo's Breakfast sorbet? Yummy and great for those days that start out hot and just get hotter! Plus Thermomixer's crumpets too.
Kerryn

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 12:08:47 pm »
We follow Cindi O breakfast ideas too. Wonderful.  I reallythink it makes a difference to our lives. I am getting a lovely blue dinner set next week that will be dedicated to breakfast to make the table look nicer too.

We often have smoothies - the full caboodle with maca, spirulina, colloidial minerals etc
muffins
pancake/piklets
fruit
fruit and yogurt and chia seed and mapel syrup
tapioca pud
quinoa pud
apple crumble
toast (biblebread) with avocado and tomato/avo and cheese/avo and hummos/hummus and tomato/egg/banana, tahini,honey and seeds

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:12:12 pm »
With muffins/pikelts/pancakes I vary the grains and the ingrediants and I often do teh mix the night before. I add yogurt so the grains can 'soak' and improve digestibility and also it makes it so quick in the morning. I also make a big batch of muffins, freeze them and put the ones I want in the fridge for the next day then pop them in a 150 oven for 10 mins while I am in the shower to warm up. Easy peasy.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:35:30 pm »
Some more great ideas to go on my list. I'll have to give the tapioca pudding and Jo's fruit sorbet a try. I wasn't brought up on tapioca or quinoa so I've shied away from it. Your recommendation Chrissy and zebraa have prompted me to give it a go. I'll also be adding some more savoury topping for the toast to the list.
Sue from North Queensland