Author Topic: Fresh Herbs for the Thermomix??  (Read 15826 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Fresh Herbs for the Thermomix??
« on: January 09, 2011, 03:22:25 am »
Hi everyone, I was just wondering what would be the most common Herbs people use with there TM? I am starting a Herb garden and wondering which herbs people use the most. I have Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, Sage and Chives so far. What else would people recommend?
Thanks heaps in advance.

Mandi
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
Re: Fresh Herbs for the Thermomix??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:27:33 am »
In addition to these I have basil, coriander and lemon grass in mine. I can't get sage, rosemary or chives to grow which is a shame as I love these.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:33:22 am »
We have oregano, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley, basil, Rosemary, coriander and mint ( in a pot cos it will take over your garden).  I'd like to put in some chillies, garlic, spring onions and chives too.
There is nothing more satisfying than getting fresh herbs from your own herb garden.
Good luck and enjoy it.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 03:47:41 am »
I find spring onions, oregano, marjoram, parsley, chives, coriander (if you can get one that doesn't want to bolt to seed), basil, rosemary & sage really useful herbs.  Sue, I have chives coming up everywhere, can't stop it, the sage bush is years old and is a really beautiful shrub when the purple flowers are out and I pulled out all the rosemary bushes when I remodelled the garden because I can always find a shrub in someone's garden to pick off what I need as I don't use it all that often.  Years ago I also bought a bay tree which is in a pot and can supply everyone I know with bay leaves.  I hate it when one of my herbs has gone to seed and I have to buy the packets from the supermarkets - they are so expensive and don't weigh much. I had so much oregano this year that I dried heaps of it and put it in my Christmas hamper for DD2.  A herb garden is such a wonderful thing to have, nothing more satisfying than picking only what you need and having it on tap. However, you must remember to water it  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 03:53:08 am »
JD. I'm soo jealous. I'm not sure if the humidity, heat, our soil or what. The mint loves it. Some things grow great, and others just don't survive. I'm also one to plant and water and not fuss too much with soil chemistry. I have friends in the next suburb and their rosemary is great. My bay tree survived for several years and the we had a very dry, hot year and it didn't make it. Do you do anything special to tend to your herbs.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:56:24 am »
I've put Dill in for the first time this year - I've never really used it much before but it has such a lovely fragrance and I've started experimenting a bit with it - so far I've put (small amounts) of it on just about everything!  I've got oregano growing all over the place as well; once again, it's one I love crushing and smelling and use heaps in cooking.  My bay tree is about 3 metres tall and I think I have driven everyone I know mad - literally giving away branches at a time!!  All the usual suspects are there as well - thyme, rosemary, chives, garlic ... the earwigs have done serious damage to my parsley but I think it will win the battle as there a few plants that look as though they are fighting off the earwig invasion.  I lost my mint in the winter, but one of my neighbours keeps me supplied and I'll plant up more next spring.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:59:05 am »
Nothing special, everything has to be hardy to survive around here  :-))  I water and fertilize regularly and it is essential to pick regularly too to ensure some herbs keep producing.  I set up 2 herb gardens in different houses for DD - she was the one who didn't water them so naturally they fizzled out.  I have more trouble growing mint than anything, some of it (all in a pot) has such a tiny leaf but the other lot this year is looking a bit healthier but just not a lot of it - maybe it needs to come out and be started again with a fresh lot, it is very old.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:14:59 am »
I love having fresh herbs to just pick when you need them.  At the moment I have parsley, greek oregano, mint, marjoram, chives, coriander (slow bolt - I get the seeds from www.greenharvest.com.au), basil (both the tree and soft leaf), rosemary, sage, thyme, lemon thyme, baytree and a curry leaf tree.  I try and plant a few coriander seeds every three weeks to get a constant supply and the curry leaf tree, bay leaft, mint are in pots so that they don't take over the garden.  Good luck!!!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 06:00:33 am »
I can go to the local park and pick rosemary. I have parsley, basil, chilli, oregano and thyme growing. I want to get some sage too. They are the ones I use mainly. I don't like coriander so buy it if I have to use it.
DH has kindly built me a little vegie/herb garden raised above the ground. The beans and tomatoes are looking wonderful and we have heaps of zucchinni and apple cucumbers.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline NICKY 74

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 06:53:34 am »
i have had more success growing herbs directly in the ground than pots. i know you are not suppose to plant mint direct, but everytime i tried it in a pot i never had enough to use ever! so i have committed a crime and mint in the ground is doing great. ;)
 same with the chives, they are doing really well.
i am lucky that i have them in a spot with retic, although sometimes a bit too much sun, so i have neglected them and they still survive.
i find it really satisfying when i think what shall i cook today and find i have all the ingredients as i can go to the herb garden and vege patch
good luck with your herb gardens, nicky  :)
the answer is chocolate, who cares what the question is!

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:59:03 am »
I have rosemary, parsley, chives (my kids love eating chives straight from the garden), oregano (still going mad, need to dry some more), coriander, bay tree, basil. Think that's it at the moment in the herb garden. Heaps of chili's just coming through in vegie garden (yah as had to buy some the other week as had gone through last years freezer stash) and currently inundated with tomatoes, think I will have to do some sauce.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 09:05:38 am »
Thanks Guys. I will be getting some more herbs this week. I have more of an idea what to look for now. I am expecting a very special delivery this week of my TM. I'm getting pretty excited. I have found some great recipes on this Forum and am ready and rearing to go.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 10:35:43 am »
I have my herbs growing in self watering pots. Currently, growing a wall of lettuce, spinach, basil, dill, oregano, tarragon, thyme, coriander, parsley, bay leaves, sage, rosemary and cherry tomatoes. You have to rotate the hers according to the season you're in as some will go to seed at times. Sure saves me a heap rather than buying them from the fruit shop/supermarket!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 11:01:30 am »
oooh yes spinach and lettuce are great ones. Last years spinach in the vegie garden lasted us the whole season (this years sadly got attacked before it got anywhere and dh (who is in charge of the garden) didn't replace it (he prefers to grow things we don't eat, lol). Lettuce is great - we've mostly been using the next door neighbours this year.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 12:51:47 pm »
Zan, I froze our tomatoes last year when we had a glut and have been using them all year to make BBQ sauce. DS (who is known as the fussy one!!) won't eat unless he has BBQ sauce to drown dip it in. They aren't any good for eating but great in any sauces or cooked dishes. I just froze them whole in click seal bags. When I use them in the sauce recipe and chop them up, it comes out like tomato sorbet  ;D ;D

Off the top of my head, I have growing - 4 different types of mint, rosemary, kale, flat and curly parsley, sage, lemon thyme, oregano,3 different types of basil, thyme, marjoram, chives, garlic chives, coriander, curry leaf,  mushroom herb, celery herb, dill...

Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!