Author Topic: Ginger Beer Plant  (Read 11723 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Ginger Beer Plant
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:24:40 pm »
Does anyone know how to start a a Ginger Beer Plant?
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline ryan

• View Profile
Re: Ginger Beer Plant
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:51:10 pm »
A Ginger Beer seed! ;D :-))

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 07:13:59 pm »
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 12:57:04 am »
I was only reading a recipe for it last night from the Sally Wise book "A year in a bottle", so I'll type it out for you and post.  :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 01:10:30 am »
Plant
½ tsp dried yeast
8 tsp ground ginger
2 tblsp sugar
1 cup warm water

On day one, place yeast, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp sugar and the cup of warm water in a clean jar.  Mix well, cover jar with a small square of muslin and secure with a rubber band.  For each of the next 7 days add 1 tsp ginger and 1 tsp sugar, stir and cover.

Ginger beer
4 cups sugar
22 cups cold water
½ cup strained lemon juice

To make the sugar syrup for ginger beer, on 8th day, combine sugar with 4 cups water in a saucepan.  Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved.  Combine sugar syrup and remaining water in a food safe bucket.  Mix in the lemon juice.

Line a sieve with a tripe thickness of muslin, place over a bowl and strain plant mixture.  Pour resulting liquid into the sugar, water and lemon juice mixture and stir well.

Pour into clean bottles (she uses PET bottles)? And seal, leaving a little space at top.  Store in a cool place.  The ginger beer is ready after 5-6 days or when it is bubbly.

Makes 6 litres.

Hint:
Divide any plant left in the muslin in two.  Place half in a jar, add 1 tsp of ground ginger, 1 tsp of sugar and 1 cup of lukewarm water.  Cover and feed each day as outlined above.  The other half of the plant can be discarded, or used as another plant if desired.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:26:42 am »
Thank you JulieO for the information and for spending the time to type it out for me.My DH will be so pleased because he asked me if I could make some.I have bought various ginger beers but he says they have been too sweet for him.Off on the hunt for various bottles (we recycled all ours last week) a good quantity of ground ginger.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:34:23 am »
GINGER BEER 2

Ingredients:

Culture

1 cup water
1 tsp compressed (fresh) yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp freshly ground ginger

Ginger Beer

1 kg sugar
6 cups of boiling water
1 tsp cream of tartar
3 litres cold water
2 lemons

Method

Culture

1.  Use a small glass jar and mix together the yeast and water.
2.  Add sugar and ginger, stir well
3.  24 hours later add another 2 tsps of sugar and 1 tsp of ginger.
4.  Repeat this step for the next 5 days, stirring well after each addition

Making the Ginger Beer

1.  Mix sugar, boiling water and cream of tatar together, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Cool.
2.  Add the cold water
3.  juice the lemons, strain the juice and add to syrup
4.  strain ginger culture through a fine muslin cloth and add the liquid to the syrup
5.  Bottle, seal and leave for 7 days

NB Make sure you store ginger beer outside the house, bottles have been known to explode on occasion.  Always open ginger beer away from your face.

Source: Cyndi O'Meara, Changing Habits e-newsletter
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:43:46 am »
Thanks for the recipes it is great to see this recipe.  It brings back memories of my childhood, I adored feeding the plant each day and watching the little volcanos in the plant.  My mother made it for years and one famous night 35 bottles popped.  Good thing the neighbours had heard a few smaller pops before.

I must dig out my mothers old recipe and compare.  Think it was more like Sally Wises
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 02:17:30 pm »
Another wonderful forum member to the rescue, thanks CreamPuff, especially about storing them outside in case they explode.I've tracked down a shop I can get new bottles at a reasonable price, now on the hunt for ginger.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 02:27:53 am »
Sorry, have been absent.  We used sultanas or raisins instead of the yeast - don't have the recipe, but if you like I will find it?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 06:18:05 pm »
Don't worry Thermomixer between JulieO and Creampuff's recipes I can give it a go.After the reminder that bottles might explode have now tracked down some PET bottles.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 03:45:10 am »
We used to use sultanas instead of yeast too. If my memory isn't too addled it was ready when they rose to the top.
We always kept out in an outside pantry (big farmhouse) and when we returned from holidays one year they had all blown up. We used to use Dad's beer bottles to put it in (all we could get) and there was broken glass and sweet ginger beer absolutely everywhere. Mum never made anymore after that. :-\ :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 04:10:42 am »
back in the olden days, mum made some to take on holidays. because we didn't have electricity there was no where to keep them cold, so she ended up putting them under lots of bushes...they would go off at different times with a huge bang  ;D ;D ;D ;D the first one was scary, but after that we would go "oops! there goes another one!"  (don't think we drank too many, and yes she never made it again as well)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 07:16:06 am »
Our poor Mums. :-* :-* :-* :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/