Author Topic: Recipe Review: Apple,Sultana and Cinnamon Porridge p10 British Isles on a Plate  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A very nice simple porridge recipe that produced two big serves.
Linked CC

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:40:52 am by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I love porridge and I know I could eat it no matter what the weather is like. Thanks Denise.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
I do love porridge too.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Me too.  There's a couple of diff banana ones that I will be trying soon.  ;D

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
Recipe review: Apple, sultana, cinnamon porridge.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 09:46:52 am »
I received my chip for "The British Isles on a plate  and of course wanted to give it a go straight away so I made porridge for my breakfast.
Day 1 of owning the new chip "British Isles on a plate" was very disappointing. The recipe on the chip is vastly different than that of the book. Chip says 30g oats (book says 80g) chip says 180g of milk (book says 200g) chip says 180g water(book says 250g) This is not clever, doesn't anyone check anything these days. I am wondering what other mistakes I am going to find. I should be able to trust the Thermomix chip or on the other hand, should I trust the book?.........poor and disappointing result so far. >:(
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
Wow! I noticed that there are some slight differences between the chips and books that I have, but nothing like that! Have you contacted them?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Very disappointing Dot.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I received my chip for "The British Isles on a plate  and of course wanted to give it a go straight away so I made porridge for my breakfast.
Day 1 of owning the new chip "British Isles on a plate" was very disappointing. The recipe on the chip is vastly different than that of the book. Chip says 30g oats (book says 80g) chip says 180g of milk (book says 200g) chip says 180g water(book says 250g) This is not clever, doesn't anyone check anything these days. I am wondering what other mistakes I am going to find. I should be able to trust the Thermomix chip or on the other hand, should I trust the book?.........poor and disappointing result so far. >:(
I have just checked my recipe chip against the recipe book and they tally Dot.Something funny going on here if your chip differs.
I've taken a photo for you to show the recipe chip ingredients.I think you must have a bum chip that needs replacing.

Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
I did contact Vorwerk on this matter and this was their response;

"Hi Dorothy, many thanks for getting in touch. We’re sorry to say that that there is indeed a mistake on the Apple and Sultana Porridge recipe that appears on the recipe chip. The quantities are listed correctly on the ingredients list at the beginning of the recipe as well as in the book itself, and the error occurs in the recipe steps only. Please rest assured however, that our recipes are tested and proofread very thoroughly before they’re published. We’re very sorry that this error occurred during the chip’s production process, and we hope that it won’t discourage you from continuing to use the chip as we feel confident that you’ll enjoy the other wonderful recipes immensely."

It therefore appears that I must do my own proof reading as the chip is not to be trusted..........not good enough for £20! :(
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the update Dot.I agree it's not good enough especially for the price they charge.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
I love porridge and thought I'd try this one this morning.

My apple was slightly larger than stated in the recipe and I did peel it otherwise I followed as is except for using a drizzle of pure maple syrup to serve instead of honey.

It was the right thickness without having to thin with more milk or having to let it sit to thicken slightly, was just right !  :D

Will enjoy the other serve tomorrow.  A recipe I will make again for sure.  ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I made this again for my breakfast this morning.I reduced the porridge oats to 60g and it worked well.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
I've made this a few times now.  It's my go-to porridge, really like it.  :)

Offline mab19

• View Profile
I made this for breakfast this morning.  We found it a bit thick for us so next time I will reduce the oats a little, other than that we loved it.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I had this for breakfast too Margaret LOL Reduced the oats to 60g and swapped the amounts of milk and water around.It worked well.