Author Topic: Thermomix Butter - photos  (Read 141170 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Thermomix Butter - photos
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2009, 12:42:19 am »
I have problems stopping my cream going to butter.  Tend to like it really thick and sometimes it starts to turn and I have to add milk to get the little buttery bits out !!!

I find cream that is warm still works - but know from years ago whipping evaporated milk that it had to be very cold to get it to whip.

This happens to me too! I get butter quite easily too! Too easy! I use half a litre of 35% fat content when trying to whip cream, and I like it thick too, sometimes I even add some philly to try and make it extra thick and booooffff, gone....butter already! In fact whenever whipping cream for a recipe I always buy 2 packs just in case the first one makes butter! ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2009, 12:54:48 am »
Good work MG - yes, the butter is generally paler.  European butters are generally paler and it is partly to do with genetics and breeds of cows.  jerseys produce a yellower fat and more of it, Friesians less fat and less yellow.  Don't know now, but it used to be that milk for general consumption was more from Frieisans and they went for volume, while farms supplying butter manufacturers went more for higher fat volumes and so Jersys were more common.

But the most expensive imported French butters are pale !!!

LOL bron - need to get the extra bottle of cream in future.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2009, 02:07:29 am »
I only use Jersey cream here for butter making and it takes less than a minute!   Much less buttermillk too.

Beautiful colour ... and my 2yr old must like it, he eats it by the spoonful if I'm not looking!  :P :-))
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2009, 02:12:19 am »
... and my 2yr old must like it, he eats it by the spoonful if I'm not looking!  :P :-))[/color]

Miss 3 is also very keen on butter and will pinch it when Im looking or beg me for some when I am looking  :-))
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2010, 03:13:56 pm »
I picked up this butter dish a couple of weeks ago and find it fantastic!  It holds 500g of butter. :)

http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Tabletop/Ecology-Crockery/Ecology-Butter-Dish
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.

musingnmayhem

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2010, 04:48:05 am »
Looks good Ceejay, is it plastic or ceramic?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2010, 05:38:59 am »
ceramic JD. :)

musingnmayhem

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2011, 08:04:57 pm »
I'm bumping this topic up so I can make some comments about a discussion on another forum.  Some people there have posted that "supermarket" heavy cream or whipping cream, can't be used to make butter or cheese because it is "ultrapasteurized" and it has additives such as carrageenan, etc.

I usually use "manufacturing cream" a product for the food service industry which is pasteurized but not "ultraP"  for butter, cheese and etc.

I had a quart of regular heavy whipping cream from the supermarket and used that to make a batch of butter in the TMX.

It worked just fine.  So this proves that one does not have to go out of the way looking for a special product to make butter.

Here's the proof, posted on my blog this morning.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline ellie j

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2011, 12:08:40 am »
Thank you for that andiesenji, Your photos and step by step instructions have inspired me to give it a go ...  :D

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2011, 08:23:36 am »
hey guys, i am new to the forum and i do not have the book you  get with your thermomix, so i do not have the exact recipe for making butter.. i think i got most of it from the forum, but could someone summarize it for me?

As far as i understood:
600 ml double cream, room temperature

butterfly - 3 minutes speed 4
drain
without butterfly add 500 ml icecold water - speed 5-6 for 30 seconds
repeat for two times
add salt and mix again for 5 seconds
work the butter to remove the excess water

is this about right?  tnx for your post

Live life to the fullest

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2011, 08:59:40 am »
I don't know if the latest EDC has different instructions stefbelgium but mine says to blend the cream for 1-3 minutes to separate (the time it takes depends on the freshness of your cream) on speed 4 with the butterfly in.  Once separated,  strain the buttermilk carefully.  Remove butterfly.  Place 500g of cold water into TM bowl and mix for 5-10 seconds on speed 4. Strain the liquid again. Do this step 3 times it is suggested but not in the book, by forum members.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2011, 05:03:10 pm »
I don't know if the latest EDC has different instructions stefbelgium but mine says to blend the cream for 1-3 minutes to separate (the time it takes depends on the freshness of your cream) on speed 4 with the butterfly in.  Once separated,  strain the buttermilk carefully.  Remove butterfly.  Place 500g of cold water into TM bowl and mix for 5-10 seconds on speed 4. Strain the liquid again. Do this step 3 times it is suggested but not in the book, by forum members.

tnx for that Judy :) so just the washing should be fewer seconds and lower speed :)
Live life to the fullest

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2011, 02:37:24 am »
I find it easier to remove the butterfly, place the rice basket in and then drain off the buttermilk.

Stef, you will hear the noise change once you have butter, the timing can be so different with each batch so just listen out for it. I have had some take up to 4 minutes or so and some only about 30 seconds.

I wash my butter on speed 4 for 10 seconds and I wash each batch three times. It really helps to have your "washing" water icy cold too. I use cold water from the fridge with a heap of ice in it. Helps all the butter to stick together and squeeze out the buttermilk  :)

Let us know if you need more help
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2011, 08:33:26 am »
I find it easier to remove the butterfly, place the rice basket in and then drain off the buttermilk.

Stef, you will hear the noise change once you have butter, the timing can be so different with each batch so just listen out for it. I have had some take up to 4 minutes or so and some only about 30 seconds.

I wash my butter on speed 4 for 10 seconds and I wash each batch three times. It really helps to have your "washing" water icy cold too. I use cold water from the fridge with a heap of ice in it. Helps all the butter to stick together and squeeze out the buttermilk  :)

Let us know if you need more help

Tnx for the tips and i tried it.. the water i used was about 5 ° and that was clearly cold enough - it took me less then a minute to separate the buttermilk and 3 washes with water for 7 seconds each.. i now have very nice butter in my fridge  :)

tnx alot guys
Live life to the fullest

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2011, 03:50:43 pm »
YAY  :D :D

Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!