Author Topic: Thermomix Butter - photos  (Read 141059 times)

Offline MollyGrubbles

• View Profile
Re: Thermomix Butter - photos
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2009, 12:17:57 pm »
I have made butter twice now, & both times have met with big fat failure.

I have used a 600mL carton of Pauls Pure Cream both times.

The first time the butter was fresh & straight out of the fridge. 

After reading the early posts on this topic, I found that I should probably leave it sitting for a little while & wait until closer to it's use by date.  (Actually those should probably be the other way around.  I didn't leave it sitting there that long)  ;)

Anyway, the second time I got the same result as the first time.

What happens is the butter starts to separate, but not like in any of the pictures.  I get maybe 1/2 cup buttermilk at most (very rough estimate) & it doesn't look "completely separate", nor does it look even slightly yellowish.  If I keep beating it combines again into what looks & tastes just like whipped cream, & continuing to beat makes no difference whatsoever, except to eventually make it runny.

I checked online & found that butter needs to be about 10-20o, which it would have been the second time I tried.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong.  Can anyone help?   :-[

Molly
Mum to 2
Wife to DH
----------------------------------------------
Every artist was first an amateur - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2009, 12:44:21 pm »
Yes - it definitely needs to be cold.  :-)) I don't know what to say ... I'm making butter so easy these days, my whipped cream is even going too far!! Took 10 secs to butter the other day - I just couldn't believe it!  :o oh well fresh butter on scones is almost as good as whipped cream.  :)

Offline MollyGrubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2009, 12:54:05 pm »
Thanks Nay-nay.  I have another carton of pure cream that has a use by date of tomorrow.  I'll try that straight out of the fridge & see if that's any better.

If that doesn't work, I think I'll cut my losses & try my hand at something else instead.

Do you do anything else different, or just the butterfly attachment on speed 4 for as long as it takes to separate?

(of course there is the washing, but I haven't actually made it that far yet  :-)) )
Molly
Mum to 2
Wife to DH

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2009, 01:14:00 pm »
Yeah - that's all i do. It has to be cold just like when you want to whip cream - it has to cold or it won't whip. I'll wait to hear back - hope you have some butter.  ;)

Offline MollyGrubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2009, 01:19:11 pm »
Thanks.  I'll let you know  :)
Molly
Mum to 2
Wife to DH

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2009, 01:27:39 pm »
Yes cold, I keep mine in the coldest part of my fridge and then whip it. Try taking the MC out once it has thickened and see what happens. I do that sometimes to speed up the process when I get a batch that wants to take it's time to separate. Make sure you are using pouring cream as thickened cream will work but has other stuff added to it.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2009, 11:15:09 pm »
I have problems stopping my cream going to butter.  Tend to like it really thick and sometimes it starts to turn and I have to add milk to get the little buttery bits out !!!

I find cream that is warm still works - but know from years ago whipping evaporated milk that it had to be very cold to get it to whip.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2009, 02:51:41 am »
Well you learn a new thing everyday!! Didn't know you could do that!  :-))

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2009, 05:16:27 am »
Perhaps you're not "mature enough" (can't say old enough) to remember that one Nay-Nay. ;) ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2009, 06:31:45 am »
Yes best if you put the can in the freezer for about 3 hours before hand. My kids love the jelly and evaporated milk whip  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2009, 06:38:07 am »
I have made butter twice now, & both times have met with big fat failure.

I have used a 600mL carton of Pauls Pure Cream both times.

The first time the butter was fresh & straight out of the fridge. 

After reading the early posts on this topic, I found that I should probably leave it sitting for a little while & wait until closer to it's use by date.  (Actually those should probably be the other way around.  I didn't leave it sitting there that long)  ;)

Anyway, the second time I got the same result as the first time.

What happens is the butter starts to separate, but not like in any of the pictures.  I get maybe 1/2 cup buttermilk at most (very rough estimate) & it doesn't look "completely separate", nor does it look even slightly yellowish.  If I keep beating it combines again into what looks & tastes just like whipped cream, & continuing to beat makes no difference whatsoever, except to eventually make it runny.

I checked online & found that butter needs to be about 10-20o, which it would have been the second time I tried.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong.  Can anyone help?   :-[

I don't make it very often but at cooking classes JB's tip is to leave the MC out once it starts to thicken and as soon as it starts to spit out butter milk through the MC hole (ie you get a splashed/spat on) that's when you stop immediatly.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2009, 08:36:19 am »
Perhaps you're not "mature enough" (can't say old enough) to remember that one Nay-Nay. ;) ;)

OMG - don't people still do that?  Now I am showing my age !!!!  Just don't do many cream/milk things so haven't done it recently, but it is a good low calorie alternative to cream ( at least that's what I was told !!!  ;)  ) - but I always ate too much of it, so didn't matter.  :-)) :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline MollyGrubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2009, 10:07:37 am »
WOO HOOOOOOOOO    ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

IT WORKED !!!!!

This time I put the TMX bowl into the fridge as well for a bit before getting everything out to get started.  Don't know whether it was that or something else, but this time it worked. 

The reason I threw the TMX into the fridge is because it is a hot NQ summer up here & I figured that maybe the warmth of the bowl at room temperature (about 30oC here at this time of day) was too much for it & it was warming the cream up before it could turn to butter.

I also added grapeseed oil to the point where the mixture was like soft butter, but not runny.  We'll see what happens later.

Just a couple of questions.  The mixture tasted like a mix between shop butter & cream.  Also it was quite a creamy pale yellow, much paler than shop butter.  Is this normal or have I done something wrong?  ??? 

I got about 300mL of buttermilk out of it & it got quite hard when I added the icy water to rinse it, so I am assuming that this is just what homemade butter is like.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your help.  This has made my day  :D
Molly
Mum to 2
Wife to DH

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2009, 10:30:35 am »

WHOOO HOOOOO!!!

I think generally home made butter is more pale. Think "they" must colour up commercial butter. ???
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2009, 12:39:21 pm »
Good on ya! It probably won't taste like shop bought butter unless you salt it.  ;)

Mustn't be - but I'll keep you guesssing  ;)