Author Topic: Root vegetable cake  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
Root vegetable cake
« on: July 06, 2014, 06:00:30 am »
This is the recipe for the cake I made last weekend.
Sorry for the delay, but end of financial year has been keeping me really busy at work!

Root Vegetable Cake

This recipe has been adapted from here:
http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2009/03/10/curried-red-lentil-carrot-and-sweet-potato-soup-with-ginger-and-root-vegetable-cake/

It makes 2 medium size cakes.  

It’s not completely made in the TMX, but I’m sure it could be reduced to half the size (one cake) and mixed in the TMX.

The cake remained really moist for days.  I’ve frozen the second cake for another day.

Ingredients:
2 cups white self raising flour
1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
1 ½ cups sugar (I used half white, half brown sugar).  I reduced the quantity from 2 cups, but it was still quite sweet, so you could reduce it further if you wished.
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons mixed spice (or cinnamon)
1 teaspoon dried ginger
Pinch of salt
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup applesauce
2 packed cups coarsely grated carrots, beetroot and sweet potatoes – any combination, as long as it equals 2 cups in total (I used 2 medium beetroots, a large carrot and some sweet potato, grated in the Thermomix)
½ cup sultanas and ½ cup dried cranberries (or a combination of dried fruit and nuts equalling 1 cup)

Method:

Preheat the oven to 170°C.

Line 2 medium size loaf pans.

In a large bowl, stir together the sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, mixed spice, ginger and salt.

In TMX, whisk together the oil, eggs and vanilla.

Add the oil mixture, grated vegetables and applesauce to the dry ingredients and stir by hand until almost combined. Add the dried fruit and stir just until the batter is blended.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until cooked (insert a skewer into the middle of the cake and see if it comes out clean).
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child