Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6124727 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #22050 on: September 20, 2018, 05:56:47 am »
Gosh Judy, how do you manage to stay awake that long of an evening? I love my sleep.

K Atie you certainly have a busy life. How far is it too Melbourne for you?

I did the food shopping this morning. I'm enjoying playing Coles and Woolworths against each other. Then they offer me better rewards. I'm looking forward to Aldi opening in the same shopping centre.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22051 on: September 20, 2018, 09:15:03 am »
I do get tired at some stage but I feel so relaxed at night in my chair that I find it hard to put myself to bed cookie. Then I get over my tiredness!  I had a call from a Probus friend just before 7 pm and we talked for over 2 hours so that put me behind in the kitchen duties then my evening ritual of catching up with emails, browsing FB etc.  I’m a night owl, I love my evenings.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22052 on: September 20, 2018, 08:29:08 pm »
You certainly are a night owl Judy. I’m like a Lark getting up in the morning early.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22053 on: September 21, 2018, 01:37:08 am »
Yesterday I tried buying from  the carefully written list I made for food planning.  No will power at all.   I bought a 2 k bag of chicken legs for $6 as they were on special, seafood Marinara as it looked nice.
Went to the special fruit and veg shop first and ended up with 2 large boxes of goodies. A bag of seconds apples, Granny Smiths.  Will bottle these and make Apple Jelly with skins and cores. A large pumpkin for $5. 2 different types of potatoes. 
I did buy double of several things as DD is returning from Queensland at 12 tonight.  She and the kids will be tired and hungry.  I bought a few frozen things to pop in her freezer.
Think I might try shopping once a fortnight.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22054 on: September 21, 2018, 06:11:09 am »
I always try to buy anything that is a special and I know I will use it Chookie. I gave up trying to stick to a budget ages ago. It seems silly to miss things you will use.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22055 on: September 21, 2018, 10:58:07 pm »
I always try to buy anything that is a special and I know I will use it Chookie. I gave up trying to stick to a budget ages ago. It seems silly to miss things you will use.
I have bottles the Apples and made the jam.  Most of the jam will be given away.  It is so very handy to have the bottled apples.  I did the bottling in the microwave and the jam in the TMX. I vacuum sealed the chicken legs and have frozen them.
House work and garden today.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22056 on: September 22, 2018, 01:31:20 am »
Where do you get all your jars from Chookie, do people return them to you?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22057 on: September 22, 2018, 01:41:08 pm »
Where do you get all your jars from Chookie, do people return them to you?
Judy,  friends save their jars for me.  I have 3 large plastic tubs that I store them in.  During the summer when there is a lot of fruit about, I make a lot of jam and jellies.  I nearly rum out of jars.  I made this Apple and Raspberry Jam because I was nearly out of jam.  I always take jam and crumpets to the Swap.  Today a lady asked me if I was the Crumpet lady. !

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22058 on: September 22, 2018, 02:18:27 pm »
LOL, you could wear a lot of hats Chookie - the crumpet lady, bread lady, jam lady etc

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22059 on: September 22, 2018, 07:44:47 pm »
I helped out at a Macmillan Coffee Morning today helping in the kitchen. It's the Charity's annual fun raiser nationwide.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #22060 on: September 22, 2018, 09:49:18 pm »
Went looking for taps, toilets, showers and sinks today for our (hopefully) soon to start extension / renovation.  It is a much harder job than we had anticipated.  We are on a tight budget so, of course, everything we really liked would really blow our finances to smithereens.  Oh well, we will try somewhere else next week and see what comparisons we can come up with. 

Once we have conquered the 'wet stuff' we have floor coverings, light fittings/fixtures, furnishings, colour palettes, curtains, kitchen appliances and, I am sure, a host of other stuff to find.  What a headache - I think you are going to have to put up with me moaning even more than usual for the next months!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22061 on: September 22, 2018, 10:28:44 pm »
CC, I’m sure you did a good job in the kitchen.  Often fun working as a community group for a charity.
Marina, a hell of a job.  Lots of compromises coming up.
Yesterday at the Creswick Swap there was a lot of produce on the table that I already had. Then someone mentioned a Bread Machine that they had.  It wasn’t the machine that tweaked my interest but the fact that it had been used to make SD bread and the method had been written in the booklet.  No one else was interested so I put my hand up.
The recipe is interesting.  A modified version of the basic one I use.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22062 on: September 23, 2018, 12:16:36 pm »
Marina I look forward to you sharing your selections with us. It’s a big job. When we built I loved some more expensive taps etc. so we decided we would go with them. It wasn’t a good choice, they chop out tap washers like crazy and cost a fortune to repair problems they have. They look lovely but that is about it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #22063 on: September 23, 2018, 09:14:06 pm »
Thanks for your comments, Cookie, I'll keep that in mind.  You certainly don't expect that when you pay a lot for an item.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #22064 on: September 23, 2018, 10:09:10 pm »
DD has just done a big Reno of en-suites at her new home.   Bought most of the fittings from Bunnings,  but had a few special things custom made.  Top of cabinets from local timber.

Can’t believe this but our expensive tap over the kitchen sink has developed a hole in the arm.   When I turn on the hot water, I sprays a fine mist through the hole. 

Making GD a Birthday cake.