Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6124660 times)

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #15270 on: July 20, 2014, 11:51:17 pm »
Update...Mum's safe was found...in a burnt out stolen car. Nothing left, but a few charred papers that the police managed to get Mum's name off so they could phone her about it. There was a lot of other peoples things there as well, so a "collection" of stolen and burnt stuff. Melted costume jewellery and no fingerprints on anything seeing as it was all charred.
I called by and took a couple of photos of the wreck, nothing left, the safe had been jemmied open and was black.

I guess it is closure in some ways - we know we are not going to get any papers back, so we don't have to wonder if they're floating around somewhere.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  :)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15271 on: July 21, 2014, 12:05:00 am »
Nikkit, this must be so hard on your mum . ..  age doesn't help getting over something like this, but  I'm thinking from what you've mentioned in the past, she must be made of strong stuff!! :)  If it had been stolen from another location, that's one thing - but from the "safety" of your own home is another.

I often wonder just what has happened in the lives of these people to make them just so completely amoral . . . I can only hope either Karma or the police can catch up to them very soon . . . .!! (Actually, I think Karma would be good . . .!)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15272 on: July 21, 2014, 12:10:19 am »
It is closure for you both Nikkit, now you can get on trying to replace what you can.  Just knowing what happened is what you wanted to know so you know where to go from here.  Are you updating security at Mum's place?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #15273 on: July 21, 2014, 12:36:40 am »
Really? They had to burn it?!!! They could have dumped it and let it go back to the owners. 😡😡

Scumbags!!!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15274 on: July 21, 2014, 01:17:33 am »
Really sad for this whole sorry world.

Thank goodness for us!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #15275 on: July 21, 2014, 01:35:54 am »
Nikkit,most are druggies, and don't care.

They are scumbags
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #15276 on: July 21, 2014, 02:05:41 am »
Thanks again ladies.

Not too sure what we are going to do about security. Mum has a monitored alarm - so all that did was tell us exactly what time the back door was smashed in and which rooms they went into and at what time. 5 minutes after the alarm went off the security mob phoned Mum and she was back home within 10 minutes. So from break-in to Mum getting home was 15 minutes. They were quick.

Short of putting bars on the windows and an automatic security gate at the drive - not too sure what we can do. May look into CCTV, but that won't stop anyone anyway. As Mum says - there's no jewellery left to steal, so why bother making it like fort knox?

Yeah...Karma can be a biatch.  I don't like wishing ill on people, but this time I'm making an exception and I hope they get it big time in a triple poo burger whammy. With mangy sprinkles on top.  :P

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15277 on: July 21, 2014, 02:57:16 am »
At least there is some closure as you said Nikkit. Still very emotive. I hope they get the Karma you suggested, I love it. They certainly don't have any feelings for others.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #15278 on: July 21, 2014, 10:05:27 am »
cctv  is great and cheap, i have cameras at work. well worth it :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #15279 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09:16 am »
Scumbags Nikkit,  >:( >:( >:( hope your poor mum gets over it quickly.  :-*
What is wrong with some people??  >:(
:D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #15280 on: July 21, 2014, 04:56:44 pm »
*big hugs* thankfully by the sounds of it your mum wasn't home. Wouldn't like to be around when those guys are doing a job. Lifting a big safe sounds like it would've made a lot of noise and your mum would have been petrified
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #15281 on: July 22, 2014, 12:07:24 am »
Called into a local cash Converters yesterday (which I think are as dodgy as, along with all the other "pop-up" shops that buy and sell and loan you money til payday...) and nothing there of Mum's, but will be keeping an eye out. Could be a bit early yet.

*big hugs* thankfully by the sounds of it your mum wasn't home. Wouldn't like to be around when those guys are doing a job. Lifting a big safe sounds like it would've made a lot of noise and your mum would have been petrified
CP  - Mum was not home. She had been gone about 45 minutes with my daughter - they were off to buy shoes when the security mob rang. It was 1pm - broad daylight! Have phoned the neighbours and none were home, so no-one saw anything.

May I suggest that if anyone has a person come into their home to do any work (ie sparky, plumber etc...and in no way am I picking on tradies - don't get me wrong) that you DO NOT leave them alone in your home. We are far too trusting. We think it may have been a person who had done some work in Mum's house in the past 12 months and she has left them alone and they've cased the joint.

Then according to the police, the person then tells/sells the info to someone else and "jobs on". This was a pro job, they knew what they wanted and where it was. They only went into the bedrooms and the office, and only took the good stuff, only checked top drawers in bedrooms. They did not go into the living areas of the house.

Anyway what is done is done and there isn't anything we can do about it now.

cctv  is great and cheap, i have cameras at work. well worth it :D

I'll be looking into that obbie. Thanks  :)

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #15282 on: July 22, 2014, 12:41:07 am »
Thanks for the tip, Nikkit

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15283 on: July 22, 2014, 10:36:17 am »
Oh blip and our gas heater is on the blink. When the repair man comes I will stand and watch over him.

Today I have been playing with the Model A books again. That is two days down and only about a half day to go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #15284 on: July 23, 2014, 08:15:33 am »
Nikkit, just caught up with the news re your Mum's safe.  What a terrible thing.  Your advice re tradesmen is good advice as we were told that many years ago by a person in security services.  They apparently use mobile phones to photo the inside of the home and then they have a house plan of where to go.  Also if you buy a safe, try and fit it yourself or get family to fit it and don't leave name and address with place of purchase.  I hope they catch them.