Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6124706 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #13095 on: February 14, 2014, 08:05:26 pm »
mum has pineapples growing next door too cookie..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13096 on: February 14, 2014, 08:08:30 pm »
Exciting news Cookie, it looks very beautiful. How long do they take to grow?

Lucy, that's a beautiful thought I still have a small blanket a friends mother made when our DD was born and it brings back so many memories when I see it in the cupboard.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13097 on: February 14, 2014, 08:38:22 pm »
You are right cookie . I used to plant all the tops and always got a baby  but they grow so big and are sooooo spiky they are hard to get rid of. It is still exciting to get a real pineapple though and not have a bought one. I could grow bananas easily but they get  wild and spiders and snakes love them also the birds make a mess of them.  There are mango and fig trees in the rainforest behind my house and the cockatoos really make a mess with the seeds often being dumped in the pool.  Big birds like ibis eat my chilies and grasshoppers grow big on anything green I try so  I have  given up. When I have visitors I just go to Bunnings and buy big bushy fresh herbs in pots to stick in my garden and pretend I have grown themII.

The rain stopped momentarily yesterday so I was able  to do a bit of a clean up in the pool. The grass is growing while I watch as it is still ankle deep in water and can't be mown. Everything is green and lush at the moment so. I can' t bear to see all the poor critters dying with the drought not so very far away. What a country!

I used to get so many pineapples that when the baby's were small I would cut them off with a longish bit of  stalk and use them in flower arrangements. They last forever.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #13098 on: February 14, 2014, 10:39:10 pm »
Would love a drop or two of rain sent this way Gert, We're a bit dry and crispy here.

Nothing like eating your own young Cookie!

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13099 on: February 14, 2014, 11:09:27 pm »
Nothing like eating your own young Cookie!

;D

21st to go to tonight...with a Disney dress up theme  :-)) :-))
I really dislike costume themed parties, the effort of finding something to wear, the thought needed to come up with something & the impending fear that no one else will costumed up!
Meant to be going out with DD to come up with something...she's still sleeping, & I CBB really  :-\

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #13100 on: February 14, 2014, 11:16:58 pm »
I am sure you could whack together a Cinderella  outfit or maybe the wicked step mother!!

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13101 on: February 14, 2014, 11:21:11 pm »
I'm with you on that one maddy but you will end up doing it I'm sure.  How about a picture tonight?

Gert, what's this drought you are talking about - are you in touch with someone above?  Are you just talking about the dry season? How noisy are the resident cockatoos, do they wake you in the morning?

Everything is bigger and better in the tropics.  I lived in a flat in Darwin for 2 years from 1970 and there were aralia shrubs around the back veranda which was also the open laundry.  I went outside one morning and all the tall aralias which made the laundry area private were on the ground - damage done by termites.  There one day, gone the next - I couldn't believe my eyes.  
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #13102 on: February 15, 2014, 02:39:52 am »
Every day more framers shooting their critters as they can't afford to feed them. Some places it has not rained in 2 years and more.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13103 on: February 15, 2014, 02:47:21 am »
Nature provides us with some wonderful things but then she can also be a real pain in the ^&*^*.
when we lived in Broome I swear we had a plant that grew over 12 inches (30cm) every day. We even planted coconuts under our house so that they would go through the rotten floor, but they never did. I loved the way paw paws grew so quickly too.

Gert you are very brave with the snakes etc. I didn't like the big cockroaches in Broome much.
I was looking at the drought on tv the other night, so sad.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13104 on: February 15, 2014, 02:55:45 am »
We have bananas and pineapples here. They take a while to fruit though. But always plant their tops. The drought situation is terrible. Whatever happened to all those lows out in the gulf?

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #13105 on: February 15, 2014, 03:58:02 am »
I didn't like the cockroaches in Broome either; they ate my clothes and my potatoes so we very soon got used to putting everything in the fridge or freezer (not clothes of course, just had to put up with the odd hole).

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13106 on: February 15, 2014, 11:22:12 am »
We kept every thing in the fridge too Troupie. Cutlery was washed before and after use, as were the plates.

Wonder I don't know how long the pineapples take to grow in Queensland but ours will take at least 12 months.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #13107 on: February 15, 2014, 11:24:35 am »
I have a hens night next sat, animal jungle theme >:( any ideas???
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13108 on: February 15, 2014, 11:34:42 am »
Tarzan, Jane???

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13109 on: February 15, 2014, 11:45:40 am »
Do you have any animal print tops, pants or scarves Hally?  Black tight pants, animal print top or animal print tights and a black top with an animal print scarf. Not over the top and should be relatively easy to find in op shops maybe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.