Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6124760 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #13050 on: February 11, 2014, 03:27:06 am »
I was at the dentist yesterday, 1st part of a crown. Was in the chair for 2 hours. Today sore. He was concerned as I was bleeding a lot & it took a while to stop.
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13051 on: February 11, 2014, 03:28:58 am »
I hate the cost of the dentist. I have chipped a tooth, and lost 1/2 the tooth that I had a crown on, and the dentist still wants to charge me more $$$ to fix the crown... :)

so no, not going unless I have too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #13052 on: February 11, 2014, 03:44:05 am »
Ouch!! Sorry to have started dentist talk. It is much better today and Cookie I too can remember being in the dentist at school in their old caravan. Thank goodness for the good treatment we get today. I did end up with egg on toast. At least everyone will now remember to make their next appointment.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #13053 on: February 11, 2014, 04:18:40 am »
Hey, we share another thing in common. Bad memories of torture in the dentist chair as kids! We had a dental clinic at school, and used to dread being called up for check ups. The nurse was so fierce, used a lot of force to extract teeth. "You're a big girl now. Be brave...yada, yada, yada"

Still scared now. I tell dentists I'm a scaredy cat too, Cookie :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13054 on: February 11, 2014, 04:32:35 am »
Gert you are one brave lady.
My mouth is worth more in $$$$ than a small corolla. I don't think I can trade it in though.  :) fortunately our private health insurance covers a little more than half the cost.
Robyn don't let it go too long or things may get worse.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #13055 on: February 11, 2014, 05:10:03 am »
DH is getting fillings tomorrow - glad it is him not me!!  ;D
:D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13056 on: February 11, 2014, 08:20:35 am »
Gert they even deaden the gums with a gel now so that the pain of the needle isn't so bad  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13057 on: February 11, 2014, 08:59:44 am »
Gert they even deaden the gums with a gel now so that the pain of the needle isn't so bad  ;D

It isn't the needles as they don't worry me. It is the novocaine and the after effects.  I hate that feeling of no feeling. Anyway drills,are so fast today that  I don't feel it is warranted. I must have  a high pain threshold as the last time I had a full rebuild of a fraction of a tooth with no painkillers. The dentist was more worried than I was. I almost fell asleep when he was doing it. His nurse thought I had passed out and kept poking me.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13058 on: February 11, 2014, 11:43:25 am »
That is very good for you Gert. I can just imagine the dentist and the nurse poking you. I don't mind needles at all. It is if they hit the nerve and it isn't numb. I need to be scraped off the ceiling. I'm happy for visible pain and have no problems with that, just the teeth. Qive never needed pain killers for all my BCC's but I need lots for teeth. I think I'm just a woose.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #13059 on: February 11, 2014, 12:02:14 pm »
Nah cookie, I think all that dental,fear come from our early experiences. My dentist when I was a teenager was  on the same floor at an Embalming School so the smell of formaldehyde was prevalent. Not only that but the old bugger smelled of stale tobacco and alcohol with a bulbous nose with red veins . He was gross but I guess he was cheap.

For years I wanted to go to that Embalming School so  I could  be helpful in my cousin's fathers's funeral home.  He used to do the embalming in the  basement. The casket sales room was in the attic  where we used to play hide and seek. They had a reel to reel tape recorder with funeral music for the punters and once my cousin and I replaced it with  an Elvis tape . Her father was not amused  but we got a laugh out of the  audience in the chapel.  All of this was in the huge house where they lived. I always thought I would be good at being  a funeral director. Still do.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13060 on: February 11, 2014, 01:06:18 pm »
I'd love you to preside over mine Gert, I reckon it would be a fun funeral.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #13061 on: February 11, 2014, 01:26:13 pm »
And Johnny Cash would be featured Judy with Burning Ring of Fire.  along with Elvis and Burning Love. Though I went to a wonderful! funeral once that featured  a magnificient piper playing Londonderry Air.. Not a dry eye in the house and it wasn't for the retiree.

Gert

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #13062 on: February 11, 2014, 09:44:48 pm »
Oh I have dropped into a morbid conversation  :o I love the bagpipes. My cousin piped my Aunt's favourite tune (cant remember name ATM) at her funeral to many teary faces. But on a brighter note  DD is an accomplished highland dancer and at some dance exams and competitions the girls dance to a piper's tune. It is wonderful but a little stressy for the dancers.

Working again today. We are currently working on what is a major project for us and the pace is frantic. Apologies for my absences and I miss my forum time. Hope to catch up on everything when things calm down a bit.

For those in or near fires and floods, stay safe. And for those of us who are not in danger, don't forget to support your local emergency workers and firefighters whenever you can. They all do a fantastic job  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:53:25 pm by djinni373 »
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #13063 on: February 11, 2014, 10:23:08 pm »
Gert, sounds like you have found a niche in the market - bet you'd be a hit. 

Back on the dentist subject, it looks like DS needs another filling or two.  He has just started complaining and I had a look and there is a visible grey area on/between two teeth.
He does have fairly close-packed teeth which apparently doesn't help.  And we don't have fluoridated water in our suburb, which I believe is a big factor too (although one of the dentists at the place we go is STRONGLY against fluoride, so we get all sorts of info about that). 
DS and a couple of his local friends have good diets and good tooth hygiene, and yet quite a lot of cavities.   ???

I don't have great teeth, so possibly partly genetic. But mine weren't anything like that at 5 or 6!  (actually, my problems started when I left home and lived of junk food and drink when I was studying)
DH's teeth are pretty good, although that's where DS gets the overcrowding from.

I'm in at the office today - still scrambling to catch up after the school holidays!  I think it will take me most of the term to get really on top of it.
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13064 on: February 11, 2014, 11:13:42 pm »
I love the bagpipes. My cousin piped my Aunt's favourite tune (cant remember name ATM) at her funeral to many teary faces. But on a brighter note  DD is an accomplished highland dancer and at some dance exams and competitions the girls dance to a piper's tune. It is wonderful but a little stressy for the dancers.

Probably was Amazing Grace Djinni. Bagpipes sound amazing if the piper can actually play them...if they're not so good...it is the worst noise ever to invade your ear drums!!
Bit of Maddy trivia...I played the bagpipes, & was in a band...that was until teenage years hit, and it wasn't cool in my mind...much to my parents disappointment.
My Dad is a brilliant piper (a Dutchman piper was quite amusing to his family back then),  and from a young child was dragged to all the competitions & event...I always wanted to learn highland dancing, but learning the bagpipes was pushed instead.
Dad had accident which nearly severed 2 fingers, so the feeling wasn't as it was, and being a perfectionist...he didn't play again.
He now actually makes them, and sells them.

Hoping the smoke disappears today & can hang some washing out....I hate clean clothes smelling like a camp fire.
3 days of paperwork is doing my head in, so I think it's time to get out all the thermomix cookbooks, and actually make something!
The kids are now appreciating the baking I was doing...hasn't been any at lately  :-\

.........EAT CAKE!