Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6124706 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #12660 on: January 16, 2014, 09:18:54 pm »
kids are going to the movies today, I am shopping with my BF :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #12661 on: January 16, 2014, 09:28:20 pm »
It's rats I don't like.....

I am sending this message tonight from another bedroom, we have moved out so our room can be re plastered at the weekend. Tonight and tomorrow we put the fixative coat on, blue paint with girl and sand  it works well. When I cleaned this room and vacuumed the spiders webs I thought of Maddy and all of you with these terrifying situations. You are all very brave.  ;)

We will honestly be able to tell our visitors that we've slept in every room!
This is a lovely room, full of character, and when the new carpet and curtains come it will be even better. I have rigged up some curtains, and put mats on the floor as the boards are still loose and it's a bit dodgy. The electrician hasn't finished yet.
It was quite a business moving stuff. We have lived without any chests of drawers etc since July. We literally have a pile of clothes, and water/wash on rotation. I have nearly worn some clothes out. And then I found some didn't fit ROFL.....

I also went out and got blood oranges for fancy marmalade and some fresh fish which we had for supper.
And all the usual stuff, feeding sheep etc. Also went to vets and picked up some mineral bolusses for the sheep with selenium and cobalt in as the land is deficient and something for liver fluke as the ground is so wet.

A busy few days ahead.... LOL

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: January 17, 2014, 12:21:50 am »
I don't know how you keep it up DJ. It's so hot here that the motivation to do anything is very low. I'm doing lots of reading this week and not much else.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: January 17, 2014, 05:05:36 am »
ES that sounds perfect.

DJ did you mean molasses? Poor sheep, I hope nothing happens in the water logged home. When you have guests you will be able to speak about each room from a personal point of view. A nice touch.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: January 17, 2014, 05:34:58 pm »
Not molasses cookie, hay and folder beet. 3 slices of hay and 8 fodder beet per day.
Sometimes they are called mangles, or even manglewirzels, ... A large and very HEAVY root. I chop them up with a machete.... Keeping my toes out of the way of course.  :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangelwurzel

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12665 on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:17 am »
Thanks DJ. What is mineral bolusses please? Is that the mangelwurzle? I have heard of them before. Lots of new things to learn.  ;D ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12666 on: January 18, 2014, 10:42:59 am »
Cookie I think the beet is mixed with other things to form a bolus as we know it  in medicine , probably to add to the feed when they can' t graze.

Bolus is a common word so bolusses must be a plural. Never heard of it but it makes sense . Don't know it we have these huge white beets in Australia  but no doubt so some will tell me. 
Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: January 18, 2014, 11:34:05 am »
Thanks Gert. I was aware of the word bolus but never thought of it as a plural. I can't remember why but we had mangelwurzles information round here some while ago. I think someone liked the word so we had to find out what they were.
Sorry DJ I thought your fingers had slipped. Do forgive me.  :o 8) 8)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #12668 on: January 18, 2014, 08:13:02 pm »
LOL
The bolus contains missing minerals and is inserted with a plunger down their throat.
They eat the hay and the beet. They are waiting for me every day now.
DH is going to stockpile a lot of feed for me much nearer the sheep to make it easier for me as he is going to much busier from feb onwards which is great.

Finished painting the ensuites today, just some woodstaining left to do in those two little rooms.
Bought more paint for the house too.
The plasterer worked all day, the AI lady came with a present for the cow from a bull. Here's hoping.
Made soup and rolls, and more marmalade.
And ate far too much custard slice..... Fatal for healthy eating plans....
And still the rains came.... It was so bad we thought of Noah and his ark. DD stayed here as couldn't do a journey because of the running water on the roads.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12669 on: January 18, 2014, 09:20:46 pm »
Thanks Gert. I was aware of the word bolus but never thought of it as a plural. I can't remember why but we had mangelwurzles information round here some while ago. I think someone liked the word so we had to find out what they were.
Sorry DJ I thought your fingers had slipped. Do forgive me.  :o 8) 8)

I love that word mangelwurzles. You could use it most anywhere and no one would know what it means. A funny fun word.

Don't think I would like a plunger down the throat . Better than a suppository I guess!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #12670 on: January 18, 2014, 09:36:10 pm »
The plunger is maybe not the best description. It holds the bolus or medicine. Then you put it in the mouth gently so the end with the bolus is to the back of the mouth and when in position press a lever and the bolus or pill is pushed down the oesophagus. At that point you usually hear them swallow noisily.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12671 on: January 18, 2014, 10:17:52 pm »

I love that word mangelwurzles.

Gert

It's a vegetable . If my memory serves me correctly, Jerry in Qld from Gardening Australia grows it.  ..... :)

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: January 19, 2014, 12:18:47 am »
Just googled manglewurzle.  It's a vegetable with leaves similar to silverbeet and a bulb similar to beetroot.  I wonder what it tastes like?
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #12673 on: January 19, 2014, 02:47:36 am »
Jess, my DH grew up on a sheep station...  ;D he had thousands of sheep.. :-*

back to the land of reality, home from hols, ready for work.

About to bake. :) :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #12674 on: January 19, 2014, 04:31:41 am »
Awesome - a new word I can call those ridiculous drivers when they overtake me going up hills and round corners.

You MANGLEWURZEL !  ;D

Love it - thanks DJ!

Had a manglewurzel yesterday try to get between the car and the horse float on the highway coming home from the beach. Funnily enough there just wasn't quite enough room   ??? and he had to hit the anchors so he wouldn't do the old "meet and greet" with the guardrail. Idiot!

My kids are going to love that word. I am sure I'll try it out tomorrow on our way to swimming lessons. (we are sick to death of "plonkers" - we use that word a lot!!)