Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6124679 times)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11505 on: November 18, 2013, 07:14:58 am »
Agree also Dede, you are doing a very important job.  I am sure you are appreciated  :)

Nikkit, your DD sounds very sensible.  A very worrying time for parents though

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #11506 on: November 18, 2013, 07:15:55 am »
I just wish I lived closer to this particular client as it's a 30 min drive from my place so I'm doing an extra hour travel.
And thanks I really didn't think I would still be working with this lady, I was going to give up in the first 2 months with her thinking I just wasn't up to the job. But now I just go in and get the job done with few issues. We still have bad days but that's not as often now. And I do feel for her when new workers come in and struggle to understand her needs, she ends up getting hurt and the worker becomes un confident and just don't come back. It's a tough one. But there had to be more people out there willing to stick with it. Isn't there?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

*suzanne*

Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11507 on: November 18, 2013, 07:46:15 am »
very true mandi when my dd21 started out at her job as a residential care worker she was ready to throw in the towel after the three months training had finished but after a chat with one of the head nurses who had taken her under her wing she has stuck it out and nearly 3 years later absolutely loves her job oh and on a side note has been nominated for an award at the cerabal palsy awards night:D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: November 18, 2013, 07:54:57 am »
Dede my heart bleeds for you. Sometimes people in this situation dislike new helpers and don't encourage them at all. It makes life very difficult for you.

Nikkit a friend once told me it was two years before she didnt worry big time about her children driving. It is another joy of parenthood.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:59:02 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: November 18, 2013, 07:58:37 am »
Congratulations to your DD on being nominated Suzanne - she sounds like the type of person who gives the industry a good name and is appreciated by patients and their relatives.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11510 on: November 18, 2013, 08:06:31 am »
very true mandi when my dd21 started out at her job as a residential care worker she was ready to throw in the towel after the three months training had finished but after a chat with one of the head nurses who had taken her under her wing she has stuck it out and nearly 3 years later absolutely loves her job oh and on a side note has been nominated for an award at the cerabal palsy awards night:D

If only we had more dedicated young carers.

Dede I feel you pain though. Hard on you back and every other part of your body. 

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: November 18, 2013, 08:25:31 am »
Congratulations to your DD Suzanne she sounds like a lovely young woman.
Nikkit the worry never stops as two of my GD's are now driving and I worry when I know they are on the road.

Dede I feel for you too and admire you for not giving up.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: November 18, 2013, 08:37:11 am »
Dede my heart bleeds for you. Sometimes people in this situation dislike new helpers and don't encourage them at all. It makes life very difficult for you.

Nikkit a friend once told me it was two years before she didnt worry big time about her children driving. It is another joy of parenthood.
Cookie you are so right about her not liking new workers, but I really can't blame her either. If I was in the same situation I don't think I would be very keen either having to re train new people all the time. I really do appreciate the fact that I don't rely on others to dress me and move me about and wipe my bum.
But I just hope someone comes along who is willing to do the hard yards and stick with her. She really is a lovely lady once you get to know her :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: November 18, 2013, 08:45:47 am »
Ok here I go ....when I went to school in the olden days we learned to drive as part of our curriculum . The car was sponsored by the local dealership. Clever man. We first had to learn how to service the car and change a tyre. We then had to learn all the road rules. Lots of testing before we were allowed behind the wheel with the teacher. It was a six month course. We had to pass every test before we could take the state driving test. Nobody ever failed. You had to be 16 to get your licence at but we could not drive in NYC until 17. Our parents let us take their cars out with no problem as we were well taught and we never would speed for fear of someone seeing us And reporting us to the principle. We never yahooed  for the same reason. 

Our parents trusted us to do the right thing and we did. We had to clean the car every week and we did it without complaint and in my case I had to pay for petrol with my babysitting money but having that privilege made it easier to get sitting jobs and then to get other jobs while still in school. I can rarely remember my father  having to drive me anywhere.

At that time the drinking age in my state was 18. We never drank until that age .

Ok I lied about that last bit.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: November 18, 2013, 08:56:23 am »
Oh Gert I wish those rules still applied today. Young kids in cars really scare me. So many young people die because of speed and joy riding. It's a real concern :(

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: November 18, 2013, 08:57:46 am »
A young boy was killed only a couple days ago not far from hear on a motor bike. Apparently speed was the cause :(

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: November 18, 2013, 08:58:38 am »
Oh and on the same day three young boys jumped out of a moving taxi in Hobart, one of the boys is in a critical condition :(

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: November 18, 2013, 09:37:27 am »
Congratulations to your DD Suzanne on being nominated for an award 8)

Nikkit you never stop worrying about your kids even when they are mature adults :D

Mandi you are doing a fantastic job.Congratulations to you too for not giving up :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11518 on: November 18, 2013, 10:10:59 am »
Selling cupcakes and fudge at a SIDS fundraiser.

I know it was acouple of days ago but Thank you Lucyluu :) it is a wonderful cause and really does make a difference to many families :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: November 18, 2013, 03:06:59 pm »

Ok I lied about that last bit.

Gert

crack up!!!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand