Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6124748 times)

*suzanne*

Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11340 on: November 05, 2013, 01:47:33 am »
nikkit I feel your pain we don't ever go into the city the last time we went the amount of vagrants was astounding and at one stage when walking down a mall Miss Lily wanted to know what the disgusting smell was::) it was a lot of homeless people with signs asking for money but funnily enough they all had a smoke in there hand, go figure

today we are going to have lunch at a friends house

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11341 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:42 am »
Nikkit I feel that way whenever I go to Sydney. Can't get out of the place fast enough.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #11342 on: November 05, 2013, 05:03:33 am »
nikkit I feel your pain we don't ever go into the city the last time we went the amount of vagrants was astounding and at one stage when walking down a mall Miss Lily wanted to know what the disgusting smell was::) it was a lot of homeless people with signs asking for money but funnily enough they all had a smoke in there hand, go figure

😦 Wow!

I love that my kids know some very wealthy and influential people as well as homeless people, people with mental illnesses, indigenous and plenty of gay families.  I think it's important that they understand the breadth of humanity - life is much bigger and more interesting than the beige of the suburbs.

And yes some of the homeless people don't smell so great, but most of the ones we come into contact with are kind, unselfish people.  One even reunited my neighbors with their lost dog!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11343 on: November 05, 2013, 05:09:38 am »
Nikkit I know how you feel. I walked from RPH down to the city at about 10.15 on Saturday morning. I passed so many people of the type that you mention. Then others who were so drunk they couldn't stand up. I get furious that they have a cigarette and then beg for money. I even saw someone begging for cigarettes within RPH that is totally non smoking.

I did the same walk about 10 months ago and tweeted my disappointment that these people were allowed to verbally molest people in the street. The lady Lord Mayor replied that it was sad.   I wasn't  impressed. I fully understand that you wouldn't want your kids with you.

Rant over.    8) 8)

It isn't the people begging etc that I mind. It is being verbally molested because you don't  empty your wallet. They use words that would make a shearer blush.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11344 on: November 05, 2013, 05:24:38 am »
My DH and  I never go into downtown Cairns at night and are even cautious in the day as we have a large population of out of control indigenous population who loiter with intent. The school age children hang around and and attack vulnerable tourists . Cairns city centre is an all together unsavoury place to be. Dirty and full of $2 AKA $20 tourist traps.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11345 on: November 05, 2013, 06:47:23 am »

😦 Wow!

I love that my kids know some very wealthy and influential people as well as homeless people, people with mental illnesses, indigenous and plenty of gay families.  I think it's important that they understand the breadth of humanity - life is much bigger and more interesting than the beige of the suburbs.

And yes some of the homeless people don't smell so great, but most of the ones we come into contact with are kind, unselfish people.  One even reunited my neighbors with their lost dog!
apologies snappy but three year olds  are honest and she didn't say it in a nasty or demeaning way was just curious as to what it was since it was her first trip to the city,  she is very caring and non judgemental even going through her toys and clothes just last week for those less fortunate than us, sorry for upsetting you:(

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #11346 on: November 05, 2013, 07:07:53 am »
No apology needed Suzanne.  I totally get all the gripes about the city particularly the 'charity collectors' who harass people - they really should be banned.  But as an inner city resident I can assure that the homeless people truly cause no issues - they don't harass you for money (they might have a sign but don't harass), they are not threatening or aggressive , they are far more likely to be a victim of crime than a perpetrator and normally just keep to themselves. Quite good neighbours really. 😀😀😀😀

It's sad that they are so disliked because in my experience, they generally cause far less trouble than many other residents or visitors to the city.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #11347 on: November 06, 2013, 01:23:22 am »
Apologies from me too snappy. I was just having a moan about my inner city experiences I guess. Being a country girl it was a bit different to what I am used to I admit! I can imagine that if you lived in the city - you would see it differently - and I mean no disrespect there. You get to know who is homeless and who isn't. Who the trouble makers are, who is genuine.

Like anywhere else - it is the same where I live in a northern "country" suburb. There's good and bad here too.

I shop mostly in Midland at a shopping centre and have been spat at and abused there, all because I was happy and smiled at an aboriginal woman as I walked past. I have been abused by white people too - for smiling at them (note to self - must stop being happy and smiling at strangers in shopping centres!) - so I am not singling out aboriginal/non aboriginal people.

Yes I did see (and smell) the homeless in the city, but they were well behaved (? that sounds rude...) normal? people. They didn't hassle me, swear at me, ask me for my lunch or money. They were in their spot quietly doing what they do.

I was disappointed with the behaviour of some people, who I am guessing don't live in the city - they just congregate there. They were rude, crass, language that I haven't heard before (Cookie our shearers swore - but then they had a reason to if a sheep had head butted them in the you-know-whats-its!)
Some people sitting on seats yelling at innocent people walking past, then standing up and dropping their pants and showing their bits and pieces for all to see. Is any of that really necessary?

Snappy I get where you are coming from when you say that you like that your kids know the variances between wealthy and not wealthy etc and can see the difference. On our drive home from the city Miss 12 and I discussed this and had a good old chat about the homeless people and the rude people, some with obvious mental problems and the people who do and don't have money.

It was a good learning experience for her and no doubt she'll learn a bit more when she goes in to do McHappy Day this weekend in the city with the Scouts.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11348 on: November 06, 2013, 01:33:36 am »
you get all walks of life, every where :)

Today busy doing quotes....
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11349 on: November 06, 2013, 07:13:55 am »
I'm sorry if I bugged you too Snappy. It is usually not the homeless it is others. Most of the homeless here congregate indifferent parts of the city. It is the drunk people who abuse you etc.
I don't go into the city very often either.

I remember a couple of years ago when we were in Sydney there was an old gent, with all his belongings on a street corner. He obviously e came ill as he was taken away in an ambulance. All his belongings were stacked up neatly for him and they were there when he returned a day or so later. I think over here they would have been scattered and moved by some of our "louts" who have nothing better to do.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11350 on: November 06, 2013, 09:30:56 am »
Yes, it does happen every where, cairns too. 20 years ago, i would not go to the esplanade after 5.30 pm. :'(

Another reason that I moved here, so I don't get broken into every couple of weeks.

so love it up here now.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #11351 on: November 06, 2013, 10:54:56 am »
I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for you all to think I was offended, I was just voicing my experience.  I didn't realize how rude I came across, I think yesterday must have been a bad day!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11352 on: November 06, 2013, 11:21:00 am »
Don't worry Snappy. We are all different and it is great that we can all voice our opinions on here without being shot down.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11353 on: November 06, 2013, 08:03:22 pm »
Snappy I didn't read your post as rude just expressing a different opinion. It certainly seems like Perth has more poorly behaved "louts" hanging around the city centre. Melbourne has it's fair share of all of those categories but I still love the city centre for all it's eccentricities and DH and I were only talking on the weekend that once the kids leave home we will most likely move into the city.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #11354 on: November 06, 2013, 10:20:58 pm »
All good Snappy  ;D  It was good to hear your side of the story seeing as you live there and we only visit once in a blue moon.

And you know what - it is good to hear what really goes on in some places. As a visitor I might only see the "yukky" side of it, but you living there - you see the good in it all.
It would be the same if you visited my place - its going brown and getting dry and doesn't look so good. My horses smell (even though they are flat out eating the roses - they don't fart smelling like them!  :o ) There is flies and wind and dust. But I like it here, It is my home.

With all the choices we have - we don't realise how lucky we are really do we?