Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6124696 times)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #9000 on: June 04, 2013, 09:52:47 pm »
That's one heck of a job, CC!!  I never cease to be amazed what mice can chew through once they set their little minds to it!! You almost need to use galvanised buckets for storage to stop them sometimes!!

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: June 04, 2013, 10:10:15 pm »
It is also amazing how small a hole a mouse can get through.
Good job done CC,  ;D

Marie

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: June 04, 2013, 11:46:10 pm »
Our excitement for 6am in the morning...
Hubby and I just rescued the sweetest little echidna. Well, it was a couple of kilo's and a good size.  Our dog was guarding it just off the driveway this morning. She couldn't get at it as the clever echidna had buried itself. We managed to dig it out (welding gloves are the best!) and have put it in the bush next door.
So good to see that we have them here and that the dog didn't hurt it.
Must check said dog for spikes...

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9003 on: June 05, 2013, 12:44:27 am »
Cookie, what a horrible experience for those girls & you both!   :-*

My son (eldest one is 8) is always saying, why don't you let us walk to school mum ....... ohhh nooo ! 8 is way too young but still, it's so hard to let them grow up but protect them at the same time. I think I was walking to school at his age, so it's hard when they ask.

It is so hard these days, to allow them the independence we did have  :-\
Although, in saying that,  my kids have had much less less independence (as in walking to places) as when I was 15...a man tried to drag me into his car, when I was at the beach with a friend.  Naturally, that has scarred me deeply and my kids don't get that opportunity to be alone.
Since an early age, and still as of now....I constantly remind them what to look out for, and what to do in these type of situations.
It's  a sad reality  :'(

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: June 05, 2013, 12:50:11 am »
Cookie that must have been scary at least the girls although injured could have been a lot worse with the car rolling.

CC I hate mice glad the shed is all cleaned up and hopefully no more will get in there. Glad you got the ironing done too  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: June 05, 2013, 12:56:52 am »
CC, you sound like me.  Before going on a holiday I like to have all my jobs up to date, don't know why but I've always been like that and I totally feel as if I've earnt my holiday by the time it comes around.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: June 05, 2013, 01:35:34 am »
Cookie and Maddy - hugs  :-*
I freaked when I read about your GS Maddy, I had a similar experience walking home from school when I was about 9, have never ever forgotten it and there is no way I would let my girls walk to school now.  :(  It is such a terrible thing to have happen to you.  :)  Your experience must have been terrible too  >:(  :( 
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: June 05, 2013, 01:38:50 am »
Cookie, everyone should have a mobile phone, scary for you though.

I remind my kids of the dangers in walking, but I can stand outside and watch them walk from 1 block away.

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #9008 on: June 05, 2013, 02:02:23 am »
Maddy and Astarra, how horrible to have had to go through those experiences.

The world is very different today. A bit safer when we were kids. When I was 15, I used to cycle through a huge cemetery as it was a shortcut, and pick up my little sister from kindy. Wouldn't do it now!

In today's Malaysia, we keep hearing of child abductions. Most parents do not let their kids out of sight or allow them to go to school on their own. Schools have fences and security guards! Took me a while to adjust my paranoia when we moved to Australia. But I'm still very cautious.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: June 05, 2013, 02:28:03 am »
What still haunts me, is that I never reported it to the police, or told my parents....my fear was I wouldn't be able to go to the beach with my friends ever again (I adored the beach), so decided not to tell them...stupidly!
The realisation came later, that this man could have done the same to another girl, or worse.
I did run to the milk bar around the corner, and told them what happened....but they never offered help or to ring the police  :o  Im sure today more help would be offered.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: June 05, 2013, 03:43:43 am »
yes Maddy, they would report it.

I had a campervan do damage to my guttering yesterday, and reported to police, and again today, so I get a police report.
Have reported it to the campervan mob too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #9011 on: June 05, 2013, 05:53:35 am »
Decided to stew some apples this morning.  Went out to help DH while he cleaned the spouting and forgot all about the apples until we smelt something burning. :o  The apples were well burnt and glued to the bottom of the saucepan.  I had to scrape them off the bottom with a chisel.  The saucepan is now soaking but I'm not sure I can get it clean. 
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: June 05, 2013, 06:01:38 am »
Mab, put in one part vinegar to one part water (half fill the pan), bring the saucepan to the boil and then switch it off and leave it till tomorrow. You will find it will come off with a light going over with a scourer.

I burnt a saucepan and it was black (couldn't even see the bottom of the pan) and I thought a bin job and a friend told me about this and I thought ahh well nothing to lose ......... but was quite amazed how easily it cleaned !

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: June 05, 2013, 06:03:39 am »
BZB thanks for the info about the books, I'll keep an eye out for them.  I know what it's like trying to get them to put the Andy Griffiths books down ........ my son sneaks them to bed. Teachers think it's great but late nights not soooo great !

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9014 on: June 05, 2013, 06:08:56 am »
Mab, put in one part vinegar to one part water (half fill the pan), bring the saucepan to the boil and then switch it off and leave it till tomorrow. You will find it will come off with a light going over with a scourer.

I burnt a saucepan and it was black (couldn't even see the bottom of the pan) and I thought a bin job and a friend told me about this and I thought ahh well nothing to lose ......... but was quite amazed how easily it cleaned !

This is where Superkitchenmachine's scrubbies come in handy.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.