Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6124717 times)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #6765 on: January 31, 2013, 01:13:17 am »
In Sydney you cannot install your baby seat yourself anymore you have to pay and take it to get done

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: January 31, 2013, 01:19:32 am »
Good for you Nikki - and how lucky that the baby wasn't in the seat and now the parents know to secure it properly. I remember as a kid we stopped at accidents a few times - my mum had trained as a nurse - and there was one time when there was a fatality. We kids weren't allowed near the scene but I never forgot it as mum was so shaken up. Always seemed to happen as we were returning from our Easter camping trip - luckily we were never involved in an accident.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: January 31, 2013, 01:27:36 am »
Good thinking Nikkit. With even basic knowledge and common sense you will learn there is no need to panic. Learning the priorities  gives you a starting point in  helping . Learn the ABC's .  However before you get out of your car to help with an accident be sure you are in a safe place .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: January 31, 2013, 01:35:42 am »
Hugs for you Nikkit, I should let my DIL read this, she makes me so angry and I'm always telling her so, she lets GS take his shoulder straps off SO he can reach things,,,, DER... If she has an accident it will break his neck.  I'm blue in the face with anger.  So what if he screams, he doesn't do it with me and if he does I just turn the radio up.  He soon gets the message.   Better go ...don't get me started :D
Good advice Gert.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: January 31, 2013, 01:49:18 am »
AB you cannot help stupid. Bad parenting . Bad decision.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: January 31, 2013, 01:58:55 am »
well done Nikkit, hugs for you.

everyone should do a first aid course. you never know when you might need the info to help some one else.

My BF is a paramedic, and heaps of our other friends / dads at school, are too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: January 31, 2013, 02:07:08 am »
AB not should - DO. Do get your DIL to read this. Print the darned thing out and give it to her. PM me - I'll give you my phone number and she can call me  :)  You may be the worst MIL in the living history, but I'm sure you'll get over it and you'll have a grandson still alive if something terrible does happen.

Gert I think (?) I know the basics - but probably not, it has been a very long time since my last first aid course. And yes - I always make sure that I stop in a safe place with hazzard lights on. No way am I putting myself in danger - or my girls as they were in the car with me. No doubt you have seen some real stoopid things in your time that could have been easily avoided with a bit of thinking.

And thanks for the hugs everyone  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: January 31, 2013, 02:26:17 am »
Oh yeah I have seen some really stupid stuff.  What ever happened to common sense?  My parents always made me figure stuff out by myself . They taught me to think before I act and allowed me to make some huge  bad decisions all by myself!!!!!  I learned how to use the Dewey Decimal System to find the answers. I had to present my father with the answers and the logic behind it . My parents were a pain in the ass. They never gave an inch to actually help me find the answers.

Today some kids are too lazy to even ask Mr Google but expect their parents to do their research for them.   I wish I had had it that easy.

Now,how did I get  there.?. LOL oh yes I was going to say .........

You can learn the basics of  first aid on the  Internet.

Gert

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: January 31, 2013, 03:02:39 am »
Wow Nikkit, thank goodness for people like you.

We rolled our car on holiday several years ago and the night before we left, I replaced DS's baby seat with a proper booster seat with a five point harness fixed to the ancorage points in the car. I was so glad that I had purchased that instead of just a plastic seat that raises the child up as there wasnt even a scratch on him after the accident. We were so lucky that day - the car was written off, but no-one was seriously injured. We were on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and luckily travelling with another family so we weren"t alone, and had the good fortune that another car stopped to help us and the driver of that car was a nurse who was able to assist us to the hospital.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: January 31, 2013, 04:57:54 am »
Well done Nikkit, thank goodness you were able to help.   :)  A lesson for everyone.

Marie

mcmich

« Reply #6775 on: January 31, 2013, 06:16:22 am »
In Sydney you cannot install your baby seat yourself anymore you have to pay and take it to get done

Well done Nikkit.

I didn't realise that Yvette - how is it policed? Do you have to present some sort of certificate to your insurance company?

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: January 31, 2013, 06:27:25 am »
I didn't know that either Yvette.  I see at daycare all the time car seats in the foyer because if grandma is doing the pickup for example, mum will leave the car seat there for her.

I know that there are places who will install it for you but I didn't think it was compulsory?

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: January 31, 2013, 06:49:37 am »
As far as I knew it wasn't illegal to install any child or baby restraint yourself.

The RTA states
"Installation
Follow all the manufacturer's instructions carefully if you are fitting the restraint yourself. If the instructions have been lost, contact the manufacturer or seek advice from an Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) Authorised Fitting Station. Find your nearest Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) authorised child restraint fitting station or call 13 22 13.

For a free copy of the brochure A buyer's guide to child restraints call 1800 06 06 07."

Found at http://http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/children/childrestraints/index.html
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: January 31, 2013, 08:31:37 am »
Well done nikkit.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: January 31, 2013, 09:04:52 am »
Congratulations from me too Nikkit on your Good Samaritan deed. :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.