Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6124706 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #1950 on: August 16, 2012, 09:54:46 am »
Today I spent the day sanding window frames, skirting's and door frames, in the spare room or what I call the 'guest bedroom,' of the new house we are  building getting ready for painting.  All done by hand.  Are there any home renovators out there that have used that electric sander that looks a bit like an iron, thought that might be a bit easier to use, and less stressful on my wrists and arms, as I have quite a few more rooms to go over the next few days.

They are pretty good PP, I have one similar and find them easy to use.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: August 16, 2012, 10:16:28 am »
Today I have started packing for the retreat and have made an inventory of all the meals I've frozen for DH and his carers whilst I am away.
Hoisin chicken & pilaf rice  (2 packs)
Quiche
Drunken turkey
Tahitian chicken
Curried tuna slice - 2 packs
Potato & onion bake
Caramelised onion & mushroom tarts
Chicken sausage rolls
Potato & corn soup
Chicken & veggie soup
Tomato soup
Beef & veggie pies - 8
Sausages & gravy
Bubble & squeak - formed into patties ready to shallow fry
Assorted cakes

Blimey Judy that's a good amount of food.You certainly look after your loved ones ;D
I have a bet the Sausages and gravy will be eaten first :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: August 16, 2012, 11:15:16 am »
Judy, you could go for 6 months lol

jakodai

« Reply #1953 on: August 16, 2012, 11:21:31 am »
I KNOW I've been MIA alot lately, but things are so hectic at the moment. But I have great news! DS had his operation today! I got a phone call from the children's hospital on Tuesday night asking if I could bring him in on Thursday morning (of course I could!) and we did. I've spent the last couple of days a bit nervous, anxious and excited. I took him into theatre, and that was hard. It was quite horrible watching him 'go out' with his eyes half open and his eyeballs rolling back a bit. I spent the next hour struggling to get the vision out of my head. He's happy now - I'm meant to be keeping him settled, but he's going nuts! Jumping around and dancing and everything. And all he's had is panadol! The surgeon said that it won't eliminate his ear infections, he'll still probably get them but just not as many - 1 or 2 a year instead of 1 or 2 a month. And of course his hearing should improve, so his speech should, too. I can't believe it's happened!!

I'll still be a bit distant for the next few days, because I have an assignment due on Sunday night that still needs a lot of work, but I just wanted to pop in and share DS's news!  ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: August 16, 2012, 11:24:48 am »
That's wonderful news jakodal ;D Trying to keep a child quiet is quite a feat ;) :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: August 16, 2012, 11:30:24 am »
Jakadai your life will change now and so will DS you have a new boy now. Don't worry about him mucking up. They have to say that but he will be fine and you will be too. Great operation and great results.  I am happy for you both. Well deserved. Be positive and don't think about the next infection it may not happen.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: August 16, 2012, 11:33:12 am »
Great news jakodai, at long last you have got what you want.  Things have to improve now.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: August 16, 2012, 01:28:36 pm »
FANTASTIC news Amanda, I'm so happy for you and DS :D :D :D

I just got home from work, I absolutely love my new job ;D So much fun!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:46 pm »
It's a bonus if you actually like a job Amy.  How many hours a night do you do?

• View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: August 16, 2012, 01:34:49 pm »
Oh Judy, its fantastic :D
I'm doing 3 hour shifts at the moment, 5:30-8:30, but I might work later when I start working on the busier nights :)

I made a mistake tonight, took an order down wrong, but the boss was really nice about it. He said everyone makes mistakes and told me not to stress, and then kept giving me encouraging smiles all night :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: August 16, 2012, 01:42:54 pm »
Listen carefully to their orders Amy, the boss may not mind but the customer may get peed off having to wait extra time for another one to be cooked.

• View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: August 16, 2012, 01:49:28 pm »
I do Judy, and I thought I had the order right :-[ The whole system is on the computer though, so its not as easy as writing down exactly what the customer says.

I felt really bad afterwards, almost like I was going to cry. I hate making mistakes and I know how annoying it is when you don't get what you ordered :(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: August 16, 2012, 01:54:29 pm »
Too true, the old pen and paper method worked well and was often quicker but we have to move with the times.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: August 16, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »
Well, as I expected, I spent the entire evening cleaning - just not what I had hoped to be cleaning. I came home from work, all excited, planning on cleaning our new kitchen.  Instead I came home to find the inside of our existing house covered in a thick layer of concrete dust.  One of the last jobs the builders had to do before opening up the connecting door between our old house and the new extension was to grind down some irregular concrete bits - which they did - they just didnt protect the doorway into the existing house.  And all the concrete dust drifted into our house and settled all over everything - all the kids toys (I have been washing bits of lego tonight), the kitchen benches, the computer desk, into the storage room we are using as a pantry and of course all over the floor ....... so there is thick but really fine concrete dust on and in everything.  I nearly cried ...... so no cleaning in the new kitchen tonight, just cleaning up builders mess  :'( :'(
Karen in Adelaide

• View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: August 16, 2012, 02:02:26 pm »
Oh Karen, that is terrible! :o Can you make a complaint about that?