Author Topic: Household hints & tips to save money  (Read 147911 times)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Household hints & tips to save money
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 02:34:06 am »
I have 2.5 litres Palmolive clear hand soap so that should last me a very long time Robyn  ;)  Thanks for bringing this gadget to our attention.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 02:38:06 am »
I use bicarb soda to clean, also white vinegar.
Use vinegar as a rinse aid in the dishwasher, also instead of fabric softener in the washing machine. also add to hot water for polished floors.

clean a microwave, by cutting a lemon, and microwaving for 30 sec, then wipe out.

Grow as much veges as you can, and fruit.
I make my own jams, chutneys, bread.
I buy all beef, chicken, pork, lamb, fish in bulk. I have 3 large 3 freezers always full.
we never buy take away. leftovers are for lunch now at work the next day.

I also meal plan, a week at a time.
I buy washing powder in 15 kilo boxes.

don't buy bottled water, use a water filter if you need to.

clean out vents in air-conditioners, and dryers.
when baking, I bake heaps at once and freeze, saves turning the oven on and off.

home brand products are made in the factories that have the big brand names.
example, Reckitts own "finish and Kwit brands" of dishwasher powder.
Also "Mortien, and Pea Beu, and "Black Flag"  fly sprays.
Sunbeam foods make the home brand dried fruit.

Robyn  :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 03:10:47 am »
Love the look of those pump dispensers, I buy up on specials that we use regularly, DH's cereal, toilet paper etc. My great buy this week, was Browns 600ml whipping cream  for $1.50 there was 7 on the shelf so I bought the lot. have made butter and the famous ice cream that everyone has been talking about, the rest went into the freezer. buying meat when its been reduced in price. Dont use chemicals to clean, thats a big saving.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 03:21:34 am »
obbie - when you use vinegar instead of fabric softener in the washing machine, dont your clothes smell of vinegar afterwards??
Karen in Adelaide

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 03:23:28 am »
I've been doing that for years too Karen and don't notice a vinegar smell - flapping clothes in the breeze and sunshine all smell good to me  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 03:30:12 am »
Not at all Karen - I also had the same concern initially, but this has never been the case.  DH is a gym junkie instructing up to 9 classes in a week so the potential for smelly clothes was very real.  I used to have to constantly remember to wash his clothes immediately in case the smell became entrenched in the threads during our hot summers - while I wash every day, clothes don't immediately have to go into the machine. This change in our living patterns came as a result of this forum (I think Cookie, Chookie or JD had the vinegar discussion) - so thank you,love it - money saved, washing machine not clogged and no need to be tied to DH's smelly clothes!!!!!!!!
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 03:36:50 am »
 :) Karen, no vinegar smell at all. I have been doing this for years.
I also used to be a sales rep, and so know what brands have 3-4 cheaper versions.

Buy kids clothes at end of year 1/2 price sales, a size or 2 bigger for the next year. ( I do this all the time)

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 03:46:30 am »
I have the hands-free soap dispensers for hand soap, shampoo, lotion.   Yet another bit of evidence for the gadget nutcase!
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 03:59:42 am »
Who hates cleaning skirting boards i know i do

this makes the job a little easier

a chuck wipe wraped around a broom
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:02:51 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 05:24:38 am »
Fantastic!  Thanks to all for vinegar advice!  Fabric softener and rinse aid now banned from the shopping trolley  ;D

I am really loving this thread, finding all sorts of interesting ideas.  I would love to save more money around the house, but I do find that lots of money-saving habits are also a bit time-consuming.  It is when I get really busy with work and the kids and the renovations that I find myself going for the quick and easy option, which is also more expensive.  I also dont have the time or the headspace to shop around for the best bargain, and tend to grab what I need on the run and dont look at the price.

I LOVED the "Down to Earth" blog that Marina posted a link to earlier in this thread ........ I would really really like to live more like that, and to slow down and live a more simple, stressfree life, but I just cant seem to manage to achieve this.  I always seem to be rushing frantically from place to place and job to job, and end up exhausted at the end of the day!  Hopefully, fingers crossed, when the kids are a little bit older  ???

Karen in Adelaide

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 07:31:20 am »
I have one of the cuisipro foam pumps as well. I bought one from Kitchenwarehouse Direct for $19.95 ish, but as I was buying other things, the postage was included. It is great. We only use it in the kitchen, and it really does cut down on the amount of liquid soap we use. I need something similar for the body wash that the kids seem to swim in!!! I tend to stop them using it for a while, and only give them a bar of soap.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 07:41:07 am »
I buy my liquid soap from The REject Shop but will still look for one of those pumps Robyn.
For moisturiser I use cheap sorbelene cream. Each time my dermatoligist has chopped nasties out of me he says use sorbelene cream, so I do all the time now.
TMX saves on bread and icecream, but then I buy things like pie makers!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 08:42:09 am »
but then I buy things like pie makers!

Me too cookie!!!!!!!!!!! Next is an icecream maker with compressor as I don't have any freezer space,yikes..........I definitely will not be able to use the I have had this for ages comment!!!! when the question is put forward 'When did you buy that ??? :)  :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:39:43 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 08:55:27 am »
 :) Lucky my Husband lets me have anything for the kitchen, but then I let him have any tools he wants.

Also, Metho and scruched up newspaper to clean all glass, works a treat. wear rubber gloves so you don't get ink on you.
heaps cheaper than windex.

Robyn

[/url

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 09:09:31 am »
My DH uses ½ metho and ½ vinegar to clean windows .i don’t do windows   ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian