Author Topic: My special awesome cheese sauce  (Read 163553 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: My special awesome cheese sauce
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 03:42:58 am »
We had this awesome cheese sauce last night as a potato bake sauce. I 3/4 cooked the potatoes first then poured the cheese sauce over top and finished it off in the oven. Was a really nice combo without being to strong in taste. I will definitely be using this again, Thanks for sharing.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 03:48:27 am »
Made this last Friday with the Macaroni and it was great. Must say I was a little surprised when I took off the lid to find a ball of mixture instead of a nice creamy sauce to pour over the macaroni mix...

...oops! forgot to add the milk  :o but blended a bit in and then gave it a bit of a mix and a stir and hey presto! we have sauce
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 12:28:32 pm »
Try that  in a saucepan CP :D :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:33:48 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 12:59:51 pm »
This is my TM conversion of my macaroni cheese sauce I have been making for over 30 years
Tonight we are having it with broccoli and cauliflower - I have just popped it in the oven while the steak cooks

Grate 180g tasty cheese on speed 8 for 5 seconds

Add
45 g flour
50 g butter
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp salt
pinch cayenne
500 g milk

Cook 7 mins 90 deg speed 4

I dont know if its the language, but where is the cheese?

Anyway this looks very much like a sauce Bechamel which is a classic french mother sauce, except the cayenne and the mustard powder. If you add cheese to the sauce you will get a Mornay Sauce.

This is not a critic of your sauce and im sure its very nice for lots of dishes its only a comment to explain you the correct name and origin of the sauce you are making.

Another nice way to flavor Bechamel is to infuse it with Bay leaves and add a bit of nutmeg. 

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 01:10:38 pm »
It's on the 3rd line from the top bluesed.  ;)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 11:35:49 am »
Thank you for the great cheese sauce recipe - I too will be using this for the old favourite in our house macaroni beef (I made it for a share luncheon with staff at school the other day and called it poor man's lasagne.  I used Maddy's adaptation and increased the amount of cheese.  Really great monkeyboyzmum.  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Rara1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 02:58:47 am »
Thank you monkeyboyzmum and maddy's tweaks for this delicious recipe.
Made this last night and used a mixture of gruyere, Parmesan and tasty cheese.....yummo
This will definitely replace the edc recipe!!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 03:27:56 am »
This is just wonderful!  I made this to go with johnro's macaroni beef, and it is sooooo much nicer than the EDC recipe.  I will be making it again tonight to go on cauliflower cheese.  Thanks for a wonderful recipe  :-*
Karen in Adelaide

Offline O4aTimtam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 12:32:03 pm »
Thank you Monkeyboyzmum this is delicious ;D

I made it into quick tuna mornay:

When sauce is cooked, stir in (on reverse) a large (375g) can of drained tuna.  Then stir in (on reverse) some cooked (1 1/2 cups raw) pasta shells.
Pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle with parmesan and oatbran or bread-crumbs and bake in a moderate over for about 25 minutes.

(By putting the pasta water on to boil before starting the sauce, the pasta was cooked by the time the sauce was ready for pasta to be added.)
Helen from Willetton, Western Australia   |

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 08:51:01 pm »
Thank you for this Monkeyboyzmum. I thought the cheese sauce from my FEC UK was a bit glutinous so I shall be giving yours a go on monday.
DD
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 10:51:22 am »
Finally made this tonight to pour over some steamed vegies.  It is indeed different to the EDC one (much tastier) but mine was a bit runny - used the recipe as stated so will try the cornflour version next time.  In hindsight perhaps I should have cooked it a tad longer to see if that had any affect in this cold weather.  Will not give up though as the taste is much better than any other.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:21:07 am by judydawn »

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 11:18:57 am »
I was dubious because I love the EDC béchamel sauce and quite liked it with the cheese added. But since this got rave reviews I made this tonight with steamed veggies, pasta spirals and bacon, all topped with breadcrumb/cheese mix (no parsley at the mo). OMG all 5 of us loved it!!! Ate way too much!!! This will be a regular and is on the menu for when my Scottish in-laws come for 7 weeks later this year- they love cauliflower cheese and this will surely impress! Thank you... Definitely worth the special and awesome title!!!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 09:31:29 am »
Made this tonight and used it for a Vegetable bake made up of Potato, Pumpkin, Sweet potato, Carrot, onion and Zucchini. I thought it was very yummy but the little ones didn't touch theirs (But thats typical for them). DH isn't home to have his jet but Im certain he will enjoy it as well.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 05:09:04 pm »

I dont know if its the language, but where is the cheese?

Anyway this looks very much like a sauce Bechamel which is a classic french mother sauce, except the cayenne and the mustard powder. If you add cheese to the sauce you will get a Mornay Sauce.

This is not a critic of your sauce and im sure its very nice for lots of dishes its only a comment to explain you the correct name and origin of the sauce you are making.

Another nice way to flavor Bechamel is to infuse it with Bay leaves and add a bit of nutmeg. 
[/quote]

Jd is right the cheese is up the top and the first ingredient used ie need to grate it then add the rest of the ingredients but have to say I thought the same bluesed but didnt want to assume who did or didnt know about the 5 french mother sauces that apparently you can make any sauce from called grandes sauces or sauces meres in french...dont know if you can make all sauces from these five but apparently yes.... the french are the kings at sauces along with bread, pastries lol and the list goes on so its probably best to believe what chefs say and that you can indeed make all sauces from these five bases...i make alot of sauce but not 'that' many sauces to comment from personal experience..thats a hell of a lot of sauce haha.  One positive about watching chefs, cooking shows, classes here etc is that they tend to be technically based (as are the french in general...very stuidous bunch) is that you pick up all sorts of tips and info that you proboably wouldnt otherwise come across as a 'mum' cook  :)

think if i remember the five are Bechamel Sauce (white), Veloute Sauce (blond), Brown (demi-glace) or Espagnole Sauce, Hollandaise Sauce (butter) and Tomato Sauce (red)  (ended up googling them as couldnt remember all five lol)

Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 12:36:00 am »
Made this to pour over cauli. With Roast Duck dinner, beautiful.  Will replace EDC recipe with this.  Thanks for this recipe.