Author Topic: Guacamole with peas  (Read 6743 times)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
Guacamole with peas
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:26:04 am »
Mmmm just made a delicious guacamole but instead of using 2 avocados, I only used one and substituted the other with 1 cup of frozen green peas, thawed.  Blitz those peas in your TMX first then add you usual ingredients and mix again.  Look how green it is!  Why have I never thought of this.  Do you need a recipe?

Both good nutritious foods but by substituting half the avo with peas you get the same volume, satisfying taste but a lot less calories.  Calories per 100g:  avocado 160, peas 77 http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Guacamole with peas
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:32:12 am »
It would be very tasty Vivaroo, I love peas in anything like this after making Tenina's pea crostini from her latest book.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:10:11 am »
Good thinking Vivaroo, it would work out cheaper too, Avocado's are a bit expensive at the moment.

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:02:30 pm »
Yes Aussie Brenda, definitely cheaper and we usually have some peas in the freezer.
Another dip I've been meaning to try is hummus with green peas added.  I saw it on the Choosing Raw blog and what got me was the photo, so green and beautiful against the asparagus.  I like regular hummus but the colour isn't lively.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 09:44:06 pm »
That avocado / pea guacamole idea sounds lovely.  It sounds like one of those tasty, easy recipes that makes life so much easier when you are looking for spreads or dips.  I usually have an avocado hanging around somewhere and always have peas in the freezer so I will make a special note of this - especially for unexpected visitors.  (I must check Fundj's list to see if you can freeze avocado!)

Talking of hummus (but not with peas) I've recently seen a pumpkin hummus recipe somewhere.  I must try to find it again as I love hummus as well as pumpkin.

YAY - I've just checked fundj's list and she says you can freeze avocado.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:50:07 pm by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline LizzieM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 07:36:12 am »
Great idea Vivaroo...veggie dips are always delicious. I've made straight pea dip & carrot, beetroot mainly inspired by the Healthy Food Guide magazine, but changing the guacamole like this is even better. Trouble is the dipping snacks. Sometimes, carrot, ca[sicum & celery sticks just don't cut it, & it's easy to overindulge in even low calorie chips & crackers.
Wondering how you're going with your son's diet..my 22 yo is over-weight too & probably for the same reason. He studies computer programming so sits a lot & I think lack of movement is a major problem as well as the constant small snacks..even healthy ones. He doesn't live at home now but he hasn't improved since he moved out.
My kids do love good food though & do cook pretty well(& healthy).  I'm hoping that one day they'll use their skills for good(not evil ;D).
By the way, I'm not doing very well with my own weight loss program..still trying. :P

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 09:48:47 am »
Hi LizzieM thanks for asking about my son.  He's still tubby.  I don't think it comes from the food I'm feeding him, he's like the tom cat of the neighbourhood and gets fed where ever he goes I think.  And I don't think the friends houses he plays at have the healthiest choices.  The lady across the road calls fastfood and donuts a treat and is often wanting my son to come eat with her son.  Of course my boy who gets fed salads everyday is going to gorge himself on fried chicken if given half the chance.  But I don't want to offend my neighbour, she is very nice, she is also obese and I don't want her to think I"m being judgemental of her which I'm not I just don't want it for my boy, what do I say to her when she asks him around for dinner? 

Everyone was thin when I was growing up, we walked for miles and didn't constantly snack.  When dinner time came around we were starving and would eat anything.  Seems everyone has to eat every 2 hours these days.  A bit of hunger added to a meal makes it taste better, use less salt that way  ;)  There's a constant source of tasty high calorie food around and we're genetically programmed to eat as much as possible and store fat, it's for our survival, but these days we have to be so mindful.  Who would have thought an abundance of food should be a problem!

I feel for your son Lizzie.  A man in his 20's should be fit and healthy, as we get older we slow down and it's harder.  It shouldn't be difficult for kids and young people, they need to be really active, we all do.  And I like that - use cooking skills for good not evil.  Good luck.