Author Topic: Our Annual Christmas Challenge  (Read 20886 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Our Annual Christmas Challenge
« on: November 12, 2015, 12:21:53 am »
🎅🎅🎄🎄🎁🎁
Greetings to all. The shops have all their tinsel etc out so we are doing the same.
We would like you to participate in our Christmas Challenge. It's not hard, costs very little and you do not have to leave home.
We'd love you to share something about your Christmas. It could be the recipe for some favourite nibbles you make for the Festive Season. It could be the menu you are delivering to the hungry hordes this year, with a tried and tested recipe or two to share.
It may be the food you are taking to share with others at someone else's home, recipe included of course.
I guess it boils down to something you would like to share with forum members this Festive Season. Recipes included at all times of course.

Please join in with us and share something you like to make every year or just for this year.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:21:56 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Our Annual Christmas Challenge 🎅🎅🎄🎅
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 12:28:45 am »
If we didn't realise Christmas is almost upon up cookie, we certainly do now.  Once our Christmas challenge is up and running, the inspirational ideas start. Thanks for this.

For our newcomers, you might like to check out our running Christmas hamper ideas thread.  Some great ideas and photos there.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 12:38:24 am »
It's still November! I'm not ready for Christmas yet!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 01:21:15 am »
Me either Sarah. That's why I decided to seek inspiration from the wonderful forum members.  ;D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 02:33:29 am »
Both of you ... blink and it will be December!  I am having to be very organised this year because December is going to be an incredibly hectic month for me.

I loved the one I tried last year, Cranberry Hootycreeks in a Jar ... it was really just the name that got me, but they were lovely cookies regardless.  I thought I had put the recipe on here, but it doesn't look like it, so here is where you will find them.

I am looking at maybe doing some body scrubs this year.  I love the smell of Sistermixin's Wild Orange one, but think I might go for one of the coffee scrubs like this one from thermomama.  I am also attracted to wild orange whipped body cream by theinspiredlittlepot, but read somewhere that it may go rancid because there are no preservatives in it ... however, for people who go through lots of body creams this sounds very luxurious, or perhaps you could make them into lots of smaller gifts as part of a larger hamper. 

To be honest, I have so many ideas whirring around in my brain at the moment I haven't actually started any preparations yet, but I must get onto that soon.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 03:55:06 am »
Wild Orange Whipped Body Cream sounds fantastic. I love body creams, I sometimes wonder why I don't slide out of bed at night. DH sometimes comments 'that one stinks!'  Not very often as I don't use highly perfumed ones.
Thanks Marina.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:53:41 am »
Tracey and Jo of Sistermixin have four recipes for flavoured salts and have presented them in very cute containers.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 08:17:10 pm »
Looking forward to all the ideas.  Not ready for Xmas yet. Better get thinking.  Usually make Xmas puds to give to close friends but not this year.
Cookie, thanks for the reminder.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 05:54:49 am »
I'm hosting Christmas this year. I will be modifying all recipes to be Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Soy Free. Many of the recipes are prepared in advance so that the whole family can enjoy the day without worrying too much about cooking and cleaning up. We have a fairly traditional Christmas feast...
*Smoked Turkey Breast from a local smokehouse, Poacher's Pantry (we reheat this on the day, so no stress about an underdone turkey!
*Stuffins from Emily Bites
*Jamie Oliver's Get Ahead Gravy
*Various baked and steamed vegetables
*Maple Glazed Ham from here (picture below)
*Stephanie Alexander's Pavlova with a topping of pomegranite, blueberries, strawberries, mint (picture below)
When ever I'm asked to bring a plate, I usually take
*Chocolate Pistachio Fudge (forum recipe) (picture below)
*Christmas Tree Cupcakes using Creamy Vanilla Frosting (picture below)

I've included some photos of food I made last year :) I look forward to getting inspiration from everyone else :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 05:57:46 am »
That's a super effort Jamberie,  are you sure it's stress free on the day  ;D ;D   I used to get stressed even thinking about feeding a mob even thought it always worked out on the day !
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:32:59 am »
Great idea Cookie. I need some inspiration and motivation :P I have done hampers in the past but probably won't this year. We will be away a lot prior to Christmas.
Wow Jam that is a feast 8)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 09:18:33 am »
Fabulous menu Jamberie :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 11:48:52 am »
Your meal looks great Jamberie. Our day is always pretty stress free as it is cold food prepared earlier. This year DD is working so I'm not sure about lunch, we may have MIL for lunch and open gifts etc and have a larger meal in the evening with DD. It will be very quiet. I can nap and read in the pm.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 06:42:48 pm »
Lovely menu Jamberie - What are you substituting the cream with on the pav?
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 06:51:33 pm »
Jam, that looks and sounds wonderful.
Michele, maybe Jam could have Cashew cream.  Ral and I shared a Chocolate brownie recently at a Paleo cafe. It was served with Cashew cream. The brownie was sweet potato and potato flour based. Delicious.
Small gathering for Xmas this year as DS, DIL and GC will be in Canada skiing. Hope DD will do Xmas.