Author Topic: FATAL: Dishwasher Liquid Soap -SEE WARNING !!!!!!! KILLS YOUR TMX  (Read 132138 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bron's Dishwasher Liquid Soap - with Spanish video
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2009, 11:50:32 pm »
I've had mixed success with the dishwashing mixture.  Great at first then it didn't seem to work as well and I was having to rewash some items.  I have a Fischer Paykel 2 drawer which I absolutely love as with only 2 people in this household, I can do a small load every day (or more when I'm having a cookoff).  Have gone back to the powder (they don't recommend the tablets for this dishwasher) and now use the homemade stuff to clean the sink, bath etc.  It is so cheap to make when you can get your hands on free lemons (we have a neighbour's tree growing over our fence that keeps us supplied) and I use cheap vinegar instead of buying expensive rinse aid. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2009, 07:32:13 am »
I was told by a dishwasher techinician never to use a whole dishwasher tab and never never use the blue ball thing. I get my DH to cut the cheapest tabs in half and have not had a problem since. I didn't throw my mix out  but use it occassionally for some hand  dish washing.

Gretchen

That's interesting.  I've been breaking my homebrand ones in half but just to save money.  They still do an excellent job (except with the septic of course  ;)).   

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2009, 01:18:13 pm »
I only use our liquid every 3rd wash or so and when the dishwasher isn't packed full. Shame it doesn't work every time as it would save a heap of money!! I also use it for washing dishes by hand some times.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 02:08:29 pm by Meagan »
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2009, 12:42:27 pm »
I just realised that I never reported back on trying washing soda / soda crystals in conjunction with the dishwasher soap.  It worked really well.  The only thing which still wasn't perfect was the tea stained mugs, which we sprayed with vinegar and left to sit for a while before washing them about once per week.  We didn't really mind doing that (it's only a few mugs, I don't drink normal tea so it's just DH).  Some people reckon they get good results from using JUST washing soda crystals in their dishwasher, but I never have.  Combined with this liquid though, it was good.

I didn't measure the amount of soda crystals, but would guess it was about 2 tsps or one dessert (not table) spoon's worth.

I got commercial dishwasher powder once the batch ran out, as I'd decided to alternate just in case my machine was unhappy in the long run.  The plan was to make another batch after that - possibly with the soda crystals incorporated.  However, I ran out of energy for things like this so I haven't got around to it as yet.  I will get there eventually, though.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2009, 02:09:04 pm »
Caroline what is washing soda? Where do you find it in the shops?

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2009, 09:17:24 pm »
It is also known as soda crystals, and you find it in the laundry aisle in many supermarkets or drugstores.  It's quite old fashioned, but is making a come back at the moment (in the UK at least, the US too, judging by some of the forums).  It tends to be cheap as chips, and billed as a laundry booster.  It is also good for clearing drains, etc, as it 'catches' grease. 

It is sometimes billed as a whitener for laundry, but that's only because it gets the grease out.  It isn't really acting as a whitener.

Hope this helps.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2009, 11:06:40 pm »
Look for Lectric soda in the lasundry section Meagan.  It is used as a water softener and people use it to soak their tired aching feet (after toooooo much shopping !!)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2009, 01:49:32 am »
So, CarolineW  are you saying you can use these crystals on their own in the dishwasher and if you add them to the homemade goo, do you mean 2 tspns per batch or 2tspns straight into the dishwasher container. Has anyone tried the crystals on their own in their dishwasher?

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2009, 10:09:31 am »
Well, others claim that they work on their own - but that hasn't been my experience.  Mine has been to put some in the detergent dispenser, followed by the dishwasher liquid soap, and the 2 in conjunction have done a really good job.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2009, 12:39:20 pm »
Ta, will try that.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2009, 06:40:26 am »

Have just read though the posts on the Dishwasher liquid soap.      I have made a batch and have trialed it .  Two conclusions,

1.   Does remove oil/grease well but leaves lemon bits on door and in soap holder, and leaves marks on knives and on some plates.
 2.  It scratched my bowl 
on  the base where the rubber ring sit under the blades.   This is probably my fault.  the salt I used was finer than rock salt.
CONCLUSION  -  Will not use it in dishwasher as the wash is not good enough (certainly not on good glasses or good crockery).
                        Don't want to risk damaging my bowl by making another batch.

My machine is an Asco and I normally use Liquid Finish.       

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2009, 01:14:05 pm »
I was wondering what caused that  :( I have the scratch on the bowl under the seal too!!

I have used it with the lectric soda for the last 3 nights and it works a lot better than without the soda. The glasses are still a little dull but they are only cheap ikea every day ones - the good ones don't go in the dishwasher. Will keep going and let you know how I go soon

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2009, 12:01:15 am »
I have the same scratch  ??? ??? ??? ???  (it is a whole circle, is yours?)  Interesting :-\

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2009, 01:05:49 am »
Judydawn,   I made 2 lots.   The first one scratched 1/2 ,   the 2nd. batch finished the circle. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2009, 02:13:18 am »
Snap  ;D ;D ;D