Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6131905 times)

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11865 on: December 12, 2013, 02:07:19 pm »
I've just got back from Tenina's book launch, and have a copy of the new book, and very surprised and excited I got a mention in the book last page reads
assistant to Tenina Holder: Jenny Reed (that's me)

I haven't had a chance to have a good look through the book yet, all the kids are here for DH's birthday, they took him out for dinner, while I was at the book launch.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11866 on: December 12, 2013, 02:12:38 pm »
Oh Jen what a lovely surprise to be mentioned in the book.I would have loved to have gone to Tenina's book launch.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:19:58 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #11867 on: December 12, 2013, 02:19:58 pm »
It was a lovely surprise, I really enjoyed my time helping Tenina at the photo shot. Doing the dishes lol.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #11868 on: December 12, 2013, 05:39:11 pm »
So much happening on here...

GERT MET ELVIS..... When?

Book launches, Christmas around the corner.... All seems to be happening.

Thinking of you mcmich.   ;D I know exactly what it's like as Dh has been away a lot over the years. I find it is always better after the first night, but I never go to sleep very quick when he's away.

With dog gone have completely cleaned boot room. DH now putting up coat hooks.
Will do floor before dog comes back. Either level and paint, or tiles, will cost it out.
Sorting out whether to have trays or racks for boots. I think boot racks and then shoe racks too.
dog will never be loose In there again, but has a big pen under the the stairs with a gate. ( he chews)
This will clear up the entrance hall and make a big difference to the mess.

Little steps....

My fresh yeast arrived today too.  ;D
Must make gluten free cake as present for tomorrow. Need to find smaller cake tins, currently only have huge ones, that won't work.

mcmich

« Reply #11869 on: December 12, 2013, 06:22:03 pm »
Everyone is so busy.

Wow Jen - how exciting going to Tenina's book launch and getting a mention in the book.  8)

Up early as usual here - have done the ironing before it gets too warm and I'm off for a girly day with my stepdaughter.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11870 on: December 12, 2013, 07:48:56 pm »
DJ nice to have the  boot room cleaned up.  Sounds like  dog will be an outside dog which most working dogs are anyway.

Jenny those who wash  dishes are no less important than the cooks. That is really nice. I hope my book will arrive soon.

I met Elvis at the New York State Fair in Syracuse NY when I was  quite young. Can't remember the year but I was president of the Elvis Fan Club . I was also president of the Pat Boon Fan Club but never met him! I could have been 13 or 14.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #11871 on: December 12, 2013, 08:28:56 pm »
DJ, sounds as though things are coming along nicely  ;D

Jen, how exciting and wonderful with a mention in Tenina's book.  Very special  :)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #11872 on: December 12, 2013, 09:26:48 pm »
President of the Elvis fan club..... Oh those dizzy heights and teenage years.....

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11873 on: December 12, 2013, 09:31:16 pm »
Gert, do you still have all the memorabilia from those good old days as President of the Elvis fan club - it would be worth a bit these days surely.

I'll bet it was nice to see your name in print Jen but you must be such a help to Tenina to be mentioned in her book so it is well deserved.

Nice to see you all so busy, keep at it DJ but do take a couple of days off over Christmas to recharge your batteries.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #11874 on: December 12, 2013, 10:02:00 pm »
And Gert met Elvis.

Sigh...

What other interesting tidbits do you have to share Gert?

And a bucket list is a darned good idea. Will start one today... ;D

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #11875 on: December 12, 2013, 10:11:58 pm »

Nice to see you all so busy, keep at it DJ but do take a couple of days off over Christmas to recharge your batteries.

Good idea JD but will be cooking and hosting family lunch for s and b in law and nephew etc etc .... But it will be a change from cleaning and painting... How's that sound....  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11876 on: December 12, 2013, 10:41:48 pm »
Judy when I came to Australia  I came with a one American  Tourister medium size and a handbag.  I had given all my worldly possessions away including a recently purchased Camelhair coat as Not so dear DH to be had told me that it was always warm in Sydney  I arrived after a week in Fiji to very cold weather. July 1965 Sydney had severe weather and the temp was at an all time low of 3.9 degrees. I was a most unhappy camper.

I also arrived to find my really really definitely not so dear DH to be lived with his mother in a walk up cold water flat in Manly. At least it was on the Esplanade not far from the ferry wharf. There was a gas heater IN the bathtub that had to be lit with a match. OMG! I was in shock for a very long time. In fact I thought I had gone back in time by about 50 years. No hot running water. No heating  in the flat and a wringer washing machine. No TV. There was his father in the room next door to my tiny room. His mother was in the bedroom at the front and really really really definitely not dear at all DH to be living on the open Veranda of the flat which was accessed through his mother's bedroom.

I can tell you I missed my coat more than anything. As for Elvis and Pat Boon I can't even  remember who I gave all that stuff to.

His mother was an English lady high born who go sucked in in 1919 by DH's father a rough and ready handsome soldier. She literally climbed out the window and eloped to Australia as a war bride. Her family disowned her and she never went home. She remained an Englishwoman in her own bohemian world. She became an artist and never really assimilated. She died aged 104 and still was beautiful with the most incredible hands . From having servants to blackening a hearth in Bombala NSW then to Sydney. She never drove in Australia though she did drive an ambulance during the war. they never owned a car a house or anything much. She had three sons and when life became to much  she used to "drop her bundle" and take herself off to a "rest home". Sadly I never got to know her well though I tried. I guess she was in shock most of her life.  

Gert
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:43:39 pm by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #11877 on: December 12, 2013, 11:07:45 pm »
How very interesting Gert...
Families eh!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11878 on: December 12, 2013, 11:28:56 pm »
OMG Gert met Elvis.

Interesting world we have.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11879 on: December 12, 2013, 11:31:27 pm »
Gosh Gert, I'm surprised you went ahead and married your future DH to be after all that  ;D

A gas heater was good, I remember the wood chip heaters, we didn't have one at home but when I was first married we moved in with exH's grandmother and she had one plus a wood fired huge copper pot, a twin tub a wringer.  That's how she washed her sheets and she was in her 70's then, I was horrified the first time I saw her lifting sheets out of boiling water with a huge wooden tong.  Why she needed to boil her sheets, heaven knows but I sure didn't do it.  The chip heater in the bathroom worked well but was a nuisance having to do the preparation before you could have a bath. We lived there a couple of years before buying our own place with all mod cons - heaven ;D  We paid $3 a week board and had a bedroom, our own kitchen and lounge in the house & shared the bathroom & laundry.

I wonder what your poor MIL really thought of the decision she made back in 1919 and whether she would have gone back to her family if she thought they'd have her.  Poor lady, she certainly lived a long time so I hope she had some happy moments in her 104 years.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.