Author Topic: Pascha Bread  (Read 5682 times)

Offline Kevin M

• View Profile
Pascha Bread
« on: April 17, 2017, 01:47:36 am »
This is a old recipe originally from my great-grandmother, who was from the Carpathian Mountains. It's a variation on the Kulich made by the Russian Orthodox at Pascha (Easter). It is a bread with a yellow inner bread that is richer and sweeter.  It's also my first attempt at adapting a recipe to my little beastie here.  Normally we bake it in a coffee can to get to tall round loaf but it works well in a pan too.  This is the mini version, Baba's recipe used something like 16 cups of flour.

White outer dough:
3 cups white flour
1 cups milk, lukewarm
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter (cut into chunks)
3/8 cup sugar
1 packets yeast
1 large egg
1/2 tsp salt

Add the milk, butter, egg, sugar, and yeast to the mixing bowl and heat at 100 F/ 38 C for 2 minutes at speed 2
Add the flour and salt and knead for 3 minutes.
Dump into a oiled bowl and let rise until doubled (2 hours)

Yellow inner dough:
1/4 cup milk
1 cups flour
1/4 stick butter
1/8 pound cream cheese
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup white raisins
1/8 cup dried cherries or wolfberries
1 egg yolks
1 packet yeast.
1/2 tsp ground turmeric and/or yellow food coloring

Without cleaning the mixing bowl, add the milk, butter, egg yolk, sugar, cream cheese, and yeast to the mixing bowl and heat at 100 F/ 38 C for 2 minutes at speed 2
Add the flour, raisins, wolfberries, tumeric,  and salt and knead for 3 minutes.
Dump into a oiled bowl and let rise until doubled (2 hours)

Preheat oven to 350 F/175 C. Remove all racks but one and set that in the lowest place.

Oil a coffee can and line with parchment paper.

Roll out white dough until about 3/4 flat.  Form yellow dough into a oval lump and put on white dough. Wrap white dough around so yellow dough is enclosed on all sides.
Place cylinder of dough into coffee can. Punch down lightly and let rise 30 minutes.

Bake until golden brown on top (may need to cover with aluminum foil to keep from burning) and t sounds hollow or reaches 195 F/90 C.

Remove asap from coffee can and let cool. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pascha Bread
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 07:44:22 am »
Thanks for this Kevin. It sounds interesting. My in laws were from the Ukraine and they had all sorts of special things for Easter.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:07:37 am »
A great conversion from huge quantities down to something that would fit into the TM5 Kevin.  Your measurements are in US terms, would you have 7 grams of yeast in your packets as we do here in Australia?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kevin M

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 01:24:05 pm »
Oops.  I should have weighed and converted.  Next time!

Yeast packages here are 1/4 ounces so approximately 7 grams