Author Topic: Microwave/convection/Steam Ovens....Long  (Read 7242 times)

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
Microwave/convection/Steam Ovens....Long
« on: November 20, 2014, 02:36:28 am »
Hi, I am in need of some advice from the experts!
My Panasonic Microwave convection oven has just died and I thought I would do some research on getting a new one. I am in the country so a quick visit to my local appliance store came up with " Oh they are not very popular anymore " needless to say they have none in stock so I have to research online.
Situation:Country style kitchen with a Rayburn wood oven in the winter ( heats out hot water too ) a gas upright ( old but works ) a TM for almost 5 years that gets used numerous times everyday inc Varoma use and the Microwave convection. The gas oven or cooktop almost never gets used the oven is a pig so the Mico/conv that came with me to this house 13 years and has always been used as the main oven. Of course I also have an airfryer, electric pressure cooker, webber Q BBQ etc etc. ( I read the shopping thread too much ) But I do use them all. I cook everything from scratch inc. lots and lots of baking, cooking cakes etc to feed the family.
OK to replace the dead Microwave convection do I buy another one the same ? Or do I go for the newer Microwave/convection/steam ovens or do I try and get a simple combo/convection/steam oven ( if they are available in a benchtop model.)
I am not sure how often I would use the steam cooking for veg or meat but I do think I would like to try adding steam to some of my baking ( ie crusty bread etc. ) I hardly use my microwave/convection for microwaving stuff mainly for oven, I always steam my veg in the Varoma rather than microwave them ....is that enough info to get opinions from the experts on here, has anyone had experience with baking and steam is it that beneficial or should I just replace exactly what I have .... I am almost convinced I could live without the microwave part if I had the steam function. But desperately need a reliable oven! PS the power supply to our house ( rural ) does not allow me to put in a full electric wall oven so its never really been an option to replace the gas ( and the gas is handy in power outages.
Thanks Deeau
PS the choice is way more lifestyle driven than price driven.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:50:42 am by Deeau »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Microwave/convection/Steam Ovens....Long
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:08:55 am »
Deeau,  there are many many Microwave ovens available,  they are also comparatively cheap. You must choose what suits you.  My DIL has a very expensive steam oven which she loves,  but this is built in. Since she has had it she doesn't use the Varoma any more.  Like you we are in the country and it is important to have both gas and electricity. Good luck with your choice.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 06:42:14 am »
I have always had microwave/convection ovens.  The first one I had was a large Sharp and lasted 15 years before I replaced it with a large Panasonic which lasted 5 years.  I have always used the convection and hardly ever used the microwave part.  Currently I have a Panasonic Inverter model which is not as large as the ones before and does not have a turn table but I feel I can fit more in it because of that.  I don't find I have to stir/turn the food as it cooks quite evenly and I would say I use it for most things to save using the larger electric oven.  I seldom use the microwave part but the convection is used almost on a daily basis  and if it died I would replace it with another convection oven i.e. if I can get one to fit the space it has to go.  I don't know anything about steam ovens so can't comment on those.  Hope you find something that suits you.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:26:21 am »
I'm afraid I'm no help either. We bought our first microwave ( Panasonic) in 1980. When that died we bought a Sharp and it is still a happy chappy. Both were microwave only.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:40:23 am »
I have a steam MW. I used it once for steaming & hated it. It left the inside of the MW all wet with water droplets, so it had to be all wiped out. Varoma is much easier :)

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:46:23 am »
Emme,  Can you cook muffins  (12 hole tin)  in your Panasonic Inverter?  I usually just use my oven for a roast chicken and muffins.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:36:55 am »
I just bought a microwave convection oven last  week. :)
love it :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline ElsieD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 02:30:44 pm »
Have you considered a Breville Smart Oven?  It does not have a steam function but it is a remarkable little oven.  A 1/4 size sheet pan fits into it which a lot of the steam/combo ones can't accommodate.  I use mine all the time and have used the bigger wall oven only a handful of times this year.  I would not be without it.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:24:57 pm »
Emme,  Can you cook muffins  (12 hole tin)  in your Panasonic Inverter?  I usually just use my oven for a roast chicken and muffins.
I am including 2 photos of the inside of my oven for you Kayc and it will also give Deeau an idea of the size of the convection/microwave I have.  One with my old muffin tray (mums) on the lower rack.  The oven comes with 2 racks high & low.  If you have a tray or something you use a lot make a paper template and take it with you , that way it will give you an idea whether it will fit in your new oven.  That is what I do. 

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 10:06:44 pm »
I  bought a convection microwave from Aldi a few weeks ago and must admit I haven't even given the convection a go because I'm a bit scared - not sure why.

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 10:14:54 pm »
Thanks for all the reply's, at this stage I have rung a repairer and he thinks that it may only be $50 or so to fix, so I will try that option first. If not I will do more research, as usual they never seem to have all the features rolled into the one machine, I have been looking at the one that Emme has and that is my first choice but I am not sure that I like the drop down door option. I can see the benefit it some ways but mine will be mounted a little higher than bench height and I am concerned about lifting heavy casseroles etc over a hot door. So I  am more than happy to try and get it fixed first so hopefully for the short term I will not have to try and make a decision.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 10:28:37 pm »
Deeau, you maybe able to get yours repaired then, which is good. 
Mine does not have the drop down door option so they must have updated them, it opens sideways.    Mine is above bench height by about 12 inches whatever that is in metric also  and is infact above my built in bigger oven.  Hope it all works out for you  :)

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 12:09:51 am »
Thanks Emme for the photos.  My microwave of 16yrs is also a converter and I have to admit I do not use that very often, I too a bit scared of it :o     It will not fit a the muffin tray. I find it easier to use the air fryer to heat up a pie etc.  Maybe I should experiment more with it. You have got me inspired.   Thanks

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 03:58:26 am »
I love reading about all these things. Robyn what sort of convection microwave did you buy?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 10:03:17 am »
its a Sharp Cookie
I am going to work in the morning, I can post the model then... :) :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url