Author Topic: NZ curry and rice rolls and spring rolls  (Read 4704 times)

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
NZ curry and rice rolls and spring rolls
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:06:12 am »
Hoping someone can remember the NZ curry and rice rolls and spring rolls that you used to buy at the fish and chips shop.  DH and I have different memories of the curry and rice roll, he says it was mostly rice and no meat, and I am sure it had mince as well!  Not sure if they still make them. in the 1960s  DH and I used to go from Ohakea in our little A30 to Wellington for the weekend. We would stop at Levin and buy them.  Just feeling a bit nostalgic and was trying to make them in the Airfryer.
So mince or no mince!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: NZ curry and rice rolls and spring rolls
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 04:24:27 am »
I never had the curry and rice rolls, but occasionally the spring rolls - which were always horribly fatty from the deep frying so I never enjoyed them - in fact, I had wiped them from memory until I read your post!

Levin brings back many memories, we used to go to a bach on Waitarere beach every summer - we loved going through Otaki and stopping at the market gardens along the way to buy fresh produce ... do they still have all those wonderful road-side stalls?  What a treasure they were (are?).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:58:07 am »
I hope someone remembers as they sound nice.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:27:48 pm »
All sounds interesting.  I make my own spring rolls.  Very healthy ,  not fatty.  They freeze well and provide a quick,  tasty meal.  Hope someone can remember the rice rolls.  Would Mr Google help?

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:13 pm »
Kayc I looked them up on Google and  they have beef in them so it seems you were right.  There is no recipe so I guess you might have to just experiment were they in a casing like the spring roll.   I still occasionally like a Spring Roll when we are at a Rodeo or such.

mcmich

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:00:50 am »
Have a look in The Edmonds Cookbook, it may have a recipe for them.