Author Topic: What to pack for daycare?  (Read 6526 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
What to pack for daycare?
« on: December 06, 2013, 06:53:32 am »
My little DD age 3 is about to start at a new daycare/preschool in the new year and I will need to provide morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea (I'm a little bit excited about it)...
But I am not a morning person so will not be organised enough to make things in the morning... I was wondering if people could please share their ideas of things I could make and freeze in correct portions in advance and then just pop them in her bag the morning/before she goes....there's a no nut policy so no almond meal etc. I've got acfew ideas but love to hear from others :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

stacelee

Re: What to pack for daycare?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:33:59 am »
Mine always liked stewed fruit in little containers (they called it mushy fruit), cheese cubes were another big favourite as were crackers.  They both liked celery sticks, carrot sticks, beans and snow peas before they realized they were vegetables and decided they were poisonous.  My daughter always liked leftovers of rice...my son liked cold meat cut into soldiers...anything with vegemite was a hit with him....my daughter liked cream cheese.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 07:40:52 am »
How would some scrolls go? You could do them in a small size for a little one and vary the fillings. Cheese and vegemite seems popular.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: What to pack for daycare?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 07:55:55 am »
Love the ideas! Thank you :)
I might edit my original post with the ideas so there is a list that everyone might be able to use :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:06:40 pm »
Anything I can bake in a muffin tin is a winner here - little pies, frittatas, muffins of course, or just what we call "bread baskets" - put a slice of bread in each hole and fill with leftover bolognaise sauce (or other leftovers), and a sprinkle of cheese, or some bacon and egg, or even a spoon of tinned spaghetti or beans in a pinch.  Or a piece of pre-rolled pastry can do 9 muffin cups.  They all seem to freeze fine.

I do frozen bread scrolls too - cheese & marmite, or pizza fillings.

For sweet treats, mine like choc chip biscuits, mini muffins or sunshine balls.

Homemade muesli bars can be handy if your DD likes them.

I try and have small fruits/vege on hand - mini tomatoes and strawberries are great at the moment.  I don't freeze them though - although I hear frozen grapes are good.  And I sometimes use frozen blueberries out of season, but I find they get a bit messy.

I sometimes make a batch of custard and put into individual pots with some tinned fruit - haven't tried freezing.  I just do a bunch of baking once or twice a week.

I also make cheesy dips to send along with a few crackers and vege sticks - a batch does the whole week for my lot (DH takes a pack lunch too, and I occasionally make myself a lunchbox).

We're no-nuts too - kindy has a policy, and DS has a classmate with a nut allergy, and although he CAN take nuts, he prefers not to.  ;D
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline beyondbeeton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 11:09:34 pm »
My oldest is starting 3 year old kindy next year. They provide fruit and veg for morning tea and I will be packing lunch. They have a healthy lunch policy.

Im planning to send:
- homemade muesli bar squares (nut free)
- pizza scrolls
- sandwiches
- cheese and chopped veg - carrot sticks, snow peas, cherry tomatoes
Mum to two hungry boys born Dec 2010 and July 2013.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 02:08:28 am »
There are no sweets at our day care. They know when I cook 'sweet stuff' there is next to no sugar in it and I use mainly spelt flour. Sweet is banana bread, muesli bars or pikelets

I make banana bread
Cheesy quinoa bites
mini quiches,
 fritters, soft pretzels, pizza scrolls etc

Hummus with carrot sticks or my sweet chilli and cheese crackers. Rice crackers and sultanas are pretty much the only shop bought food the kids get. I only send sandwiches if there are no leftovers. I hated sandwiches and no variety as a kid so I try to do my best. Oh and I buy organic yoghurt and make my own fruit topping (from edc but about a third of the sugar!)

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 02:09:53 am »
I also send cheese, olives, sundries tomatoes chopped up occasionally and they love their grape tomatoes.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 04:59:01 pm »
I remember this recipe from Dizzy Girl that might be good for your DD Jamberie ;)
DG's Baked Bean Cases
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:14:52 am by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 10:14:03 pm »
This link sends me to toasted Tahini CC.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 11:25:19 pm »
I remember this recipe from Dizzy Girl that might be good for your DD Jamberie ;)
DG's Baked Bean Cases

Try this one for the baked beans cases  INAID . .  http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=10947.0

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 02:01:22 am »
so much to choose from. my kids mainly take fruit for lunches, cheese, dips, carrot sticks..

Mini quiches, muffins, scrolls are good too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 03:18:51 am »
Thankyou! Will try Judy's recipe :)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: What to pack for daycare?
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 04:32:58 am »
Thanks so much for all the ideas everyone :) I'm off to a great start :) I will try to collate them soon....maybe after Christmas when things aren't quite so hectic!!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 09:16:37 am »
Oops sorry girls.Thanks GF coming to the rescue. :-*
I've amended the link ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.