Author Topic: I forgot about my yoghurt!!!  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
I forgot about my yoghurt!!!
« on: October 15, 2013, 04:30:09 am »
I have only ever made yoghurt once before...it was only ok.

This time I used the method from SuperKitchenMachine and my Aldi Yoghurt maker (basically keeps it warm).

The only problem is that I made the yoghurt last night at about 8-9pm, put it in the yoghurt maker, went to bed, got up, went to work and I just came home (2.30pm) to find the yoghurt still in the yoghurt maker.

It looks like it has set really well but, do you think it is still ok to use?
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

stacelee

Re: I forgot about my yoghurt!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:53:29 am »
I often leave my yoghurt for about 24 hours (I tend to forget it)....It seems to be fine...just a bit tart sometimes but I like it that way.  I like my yoghurt to be fairly thick because I normally drain it to make greek yoghurt or labne and use the whey in my bread.  When I make quark it sits for between 24 and 48 hours so I assume that the little bugs that make it are happy to be unrefrigerated for a little while.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:03:22 am »
I happily leave my yogurt in the thermoserver for 48 hours even I the heat up here.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:09:53 am »
Oh thank you so much Stacelee and Gert. I had a very severe bout of raw-chicken related food poisoning (from a restaurant) years ago and I am super cautious about everything as a result.

I looked online for answers and it just seems (as Stacelee says) that it might get more 'tart'. But knowing that you leave it up there for 48 hours is very reassuring Gert!
Thanks again :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 07:28:17 am »
You probably should  not listen to me as I would eat 6 months old yogurt  and have even been known to scrape the mould from the top of things and dig deep. Maybe not chicken though .  For me if it smells ok it is ok

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

stacelee

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:35:20 am »
Gert,

I need you to talk to my husband and daughter....I'm still trying to explain the difference between a use by date and a best before date to my daughter....she seems to think that things magically go off at midnight on the day that the date says.....It drive me insane......I'm a big fan of the sniff test although if it is growing mould (or legs) it heads for the bin...and I'm very wary of poultry products and seafood after a couple of bouts of funny tummy after eating bad oysters.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:51:17 am »
Will be fine.  Might be a bit strong.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 07:53:16 am »
OMG I know he oyster one. I ate a bad one once and. I thought I was going to die.  Took me a whole week before I ate another one. LOL!

Usually when we have food poisoning it is a nasty we can neither see nor smell and is contaminated by E. coli or salmonella and not by us.well hopefully that is. If you have ever worked in a commercial kitchen you would be amazed but let's not go there.

Gert

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:03:21 am »
Will be fine jam. Farfillina just commented on another thread that yogurt gets stronger in flavour, the longer it sits out to ferment.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: I forgot about my yoghurt!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 11:09:51 am »
Ok... so I tried a teaspoon. It is a really good texture. .. but so strong!!  Needs some strawberry jam! I might wait till tomorrow when I get more courage to try a larger spoonful!
Thank you for the reassurance :):):)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:29:56 am »
Lemon curd and berry coulis also help to sweeten the tartness.