Author Topic: Mosquitoes  (Read 11330 times)

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
Mosquitoes
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:05:56 am »
I have just come back a few days camping.  The Mosquitoes were there in swarms and they love me!  Infact anything that bites love me. Once, we had just arrived a new camping site, I opened the car door and a huge horse fly flew in and bit me!  I use 'Off"  which does work to some degree and Bushmans which is very good, though it melts plastic if you have any on your hands and touch something.  I have been taking VitB for months, but that doesn't help and burn coils but I think the little beggers love the smell of them!
So... does anyone have a tried and true insect repellant  and also something to keep them away.  Even when I spray myself with Off etc, they hang around just a few few inches away looking for an unsprayed bit of skin. They even sit on the rim of my coffee cup while I am having a coffee

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
Re: Mosquitoes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:09:08 am »
Drink a bottle of bitter lemon

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:11:01 am »
Does that work Yvette. It would be a great solution.
Kaye I find the only thing that really works is to cover up. Rather hard for the face and neck though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 05:19:17 am »
I think it works  :)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 05:22:57 am »
Don't eat bananas ;)
And I find 'Aeroguard' works better than 'Off' :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 05:25:50 am »
my reply got lost, as power went out
Mosquito's are attracted to dark clothing, also try aerogaurd, its better.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 05:28:04 am »
I have read that mosquitoes are attracted to people who eat bananas.  They love my DH as well, in fact, they love him so much that he got malaria several years ago!

If I remember correctly, Andie once posted that spraying the area with Listerine works (but it didn't seem to work for me).  Try searching this forum for mosquitoes and you may find some more answers because I know there have been some posts on this subject in the past.  I think one of the Avon products was also mentioned - I've just checked my files and it was Avon's Skin So Soft.  If you PM me your email address I'll send my list to you.  I can't vouch for the efficacy of anything on the list, but it makes interesting reading.  In fact, if you search this forum for Skin So Soft you will probably find the exact same list or link that I have got.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 05:46:01 am »
They love my DH too. He ended up with Ross River Virus after being 'kissed' by a mosquito.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 05:47:06 am »
I ended up with Ross river fever years ago too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 06:21:14 am »
Has anyone tried the mosquito bands seen them in the shops and online.
http://www.mozziebands.com.au/
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 06:34:11 am »
I'm exactly teh same, I get eaten alive as soon as I walk outside. I much prefer Off to Areoguard but last week still got 15 bites while sitting outside covered in Off. The rest of the family got none!! I have tried the Bushmans but found it affected my skin and felt worse than being bitten. I researched the Listerine theory and there isn't much to back it up online. I haven't tried the Skin So Soft, although I did buy some last year and couldn't remember what I bought it for, do you know if you rub it on your skin or spray around? I was going to give the Sandlewood sticks a try this year. I tend to try everything that's on the market at least once each year. 

Jeninwa, I tried the bands and they did  nothing for me.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 06:47:41 am »
I think you wipe the Skin So Soft on, but I would have to check that.

I also asked Megan Jane if she did citronella candles, but she said not yet.

A combination of mozzie coils and citronella candles often helps to some extent.

Covering up is always good, but when we lived in Hong Kong the mosquitoes there would bite you through your jeans!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
Mosquitoes
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:49:22 am »
Thank you for all those suggestions.  I too have had Ross River Virus, thankfully a mild dose.  One of the replies triggered a memory of something I had read in the Bali Advertiser last year
For those interested
http://baliadvertiser.biz/articles/paradise/2012/mosquitos.html

I now remember trying to find the Lemon eucalyptus oil without any luck. 
The most effective natural mosquito repellent so far. A 2002 study in the New England Journal of Medicine compared different synthetic chemical and herbal repellents. A Lemon Eucalyptus Repellent provided 120.1 minutes of mosquito protection, more than a repellent with a low concentration of the chemical DEET (4.75% DEET provided 88.4 minutes of protection and 23.8% DEET, provided 301.5 minutes of protection

I will try again.  I had bought one of those electronic things which emit a high frequency and you attach it your clothing.  The beggers came and sat on it!

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 08:17:30 am »
Sorry to hear thatnyounjhave mossie trouble,  I have a girlfriend who is the  same, I always try to sit near  her, so I don't get bitten  ;D.  We went camping a couple of weeks ago and I had some  Skin So Soft, bath oil is the best it has the strongest smell, it seems to work GF used it too and had asked me to get her some. 

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 10:59:20 am »
I can't wait to try the skin so soft. I bought two bottles of it but it took so long to get to me I forgot why I bought it! If we are planning a night out doors I always use a combination of protection so this and the bitter lemon can be added to the list.