Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6105720 times)

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #16455 on: November 02, 2014, 11:36:19 pm »
i'm surprised you girls did not tether your mobiles if you wanted wifi for your ipads. I do it all the time if I am travelling within the country cos its so easy. I  have an iPhone if you want me to explain easy instruction, Android would be easy to adapt from this also.

I always tether my mini ipad to my phone anywhere in OZ if there is no wifi. We were lucky in Hobart as wifi was free in the hotel.
I have a SIM card for my big ipad but rarely ever use the big one now. The little kids use it for games.
What would we all do without these devices.  :o

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16456 on: November 03, 2014, 12:13:56 am »
That is a big tub SS. Must be fun driving one of those bad boys.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline shellshadies

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #16457 on: November 03, 2014, 01:06:22 am »
That is a big tub SS. Must be fun driving one of those bad boys.

Gert
Absolutely love it Gert!

Lunch break soon I'll write you all a narrative then :)

Offline shellshadies

• View Profile
« Reply #16458 on: November 03, 2014, 02:57:28 am »
It looks like an interesting job SS, FIFO obviously.  Tell us a bit more about it please.
It is very interesting Judy :) I very much enjoy it.
My role is Underground Truck Operator, I've been working in the mines for 5 years this January (wow hadn't realised it had been that long!)
I work a 2/2 rosters, which means 14days at work then 14 days at home! (living the life eh)
I mainly drive trucks but if I'm lucky I get to jump on the bogger (loading the trucks) or chargeup (our very own bomb squad)
Been at this particular site (approx 140km NNW of Mt Isa) for 2 years! Havr seen some of the most amazing sunsets/rises I've come across by far :)

Offline shellshadies

• View Profile
« Reply #16459 on: November 03, 2014, 03:03:13 am »
Shellshadies, wow operating a TMX after one of those giants would be a piece of cake  ;D
I don't know Emme I think I'm more intimidated by my TMX, I know I can't break my truck, its a pretty solid bit of metal ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16460 on: November 03, 2014, 03:49:30 am »
SS it sounds a very interesting job. Thanks for the photo.

I have 3G and wifi on my ipad. I used it on 3G in Hobart and it barely used any money. I recharge mine every year before the money runs out and now I have over $400 on it. At home I use the wifi. Just  love it to pieces.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Rotorchef

• This thing chops and slices too.....
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #16461 on: November 03, 2014, 04:54:48 am »
Hey everyone, just my 2 pence worth. I personally wouldn't ever pay the extra for a any tablet device to have 3 or indeed 4G technology. So long as it is WiFi capable which they all are by default, I find that is far easier to tether off of my mobile (once configured) as I literally never leave home without that and I never get close to my data limits, or use the free WiFi that so so so many places in Australia offer.

TTFN

RC

If anyone is confused or unsure about technology stuff by all means drop me a pm and I will help where I can. Before flying I worked in IT (boring!) so I may be able to help.

Actually, as an aside I am currently doing my homework on my next "toy". The absolute stand out leader in terms of quality of screen and functionality is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S range. The 10.4 for full sized or 8.4" if you need a mini. The screen quality and functionality leave a certain manufacturer that has the name of a piece of fruit found to be very wanting and exceptionally overpriced!
Remember - the little blade at the rear goes really fast and makes a big mess. Stay away from it!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16462 on: November 03, 2014, 05:26:37 am »
Good to know you are the go to IT guy as we are forever having  glitches.

As far as wifi and 3G/4G goes in Australia is that wifi is not available or is outrageously expensive in some areas of Au. Some people have limits on their wifi plans which the kids usually use up playing games. Wifi can be more expensive than using 3G in some places.

Then again some telcos are rats poo such as Vodaphone in my area.  Outside of the major cities any access to either is impossible. It is a big problem covering Australia equally.

If you do not have a land line you cannot get broadband or wifi in your house so you need a cheap 3G data plan If you don't want to tether  to your mobile  and if you do tether is can be pretty expensive if you have no nearby wifi available as happens in many places in regional areas.  In some areas you need a satellite phone as nothing else will work.

I would rather pay $180/12GB a year for 3G access on my devices so I am always connected. I ain't paying for wifi in any damn 5 star hotel and you can't get a drink at McDonalds

Even though the wifi was free at the GCH it was extremely limited and you had to get a code every day. It did not work on some floors at all.

By not having a data plan  on my phone and using my iPads I save a bucket load of money. I can still use the phone for data of course but it is more expensive than a SIM card for my iPads.

Of course men don't usually have the option of having a handbag to carry it so you really need a man bag. LOL
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline shellshadies

• View Profile
Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #16463 on: November 03, 2014, 06:26:56 am »
I've been trying to get this photo All day, truck leaving the portal :P

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16464 on: November 03, 2014, 06:46:35 am »
A very interesting job and life you have SS, how do the guys like a pretty girl working amongst them - silly question I guess  :D :D

I didn't bother with the free wifi in the hotel either Gert, I have plenty of dollars left on my 3G even though I use it every day when visiting Geoff as he likes to take over the iPad and play games.  Not in use today though, too many visitors, one after the other - bet Geoff was glad to be put back to bed  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline shellshadies

• View Profile
« Reply #16465 on: November 03, 2014, 07:52:56 am »
A very interesting job and life you have SS, how do the guys like a pretty girl working amongst them - silly question I guess  :D :D
Haha JD, I'm practically one of the guys, im the only girl on the 2 crews that are at work at the moment, I've been here longer than most of them! Probably helps my bf works out here also ::)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16466 on: November 03, 2014, 08:47:14 am »
What an amazing and interesting job SS.Love the photos. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #16467 on: November 03, 2014, 08:53:03 am »
Great Photo SS, thanks for sharing.   ;D

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #16468 on: November 03, 2014, 09:01:13 am »
Amazing job SS. Love the photos and insight.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16469 on: November 03, 2014, 10:48:34 am »
Love the photo SS.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/