Author Topic: Nutmeg  (Read 4943 times)

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
Nutmeg
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:46:39 am »
A question - I've never really used fresh nutmeg grated except in banana smoothies.  So my question is, when a recipe calls for say 1 teaspoon of nutmeg do you use the same amount of fresh grated nutmeg as you would with the nutmeg you buy in jars.

Thanks

mcmich

Re: Nutmeg
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 04:21:15 am »
Hi Keiramax 
As fresh is more flavourful I usually use a 1/4 less
fresh nutmeg in recipes that call for the dried spice.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:02:56 am »
Most spices that you purchase that are ground have an anti -caking substance added.  If you compare the spices that you grind in the TMX,  the colour is much paler.  So is the flavor.  I always grind my own spices if I can purchase the whole spice.  To me this is one of the REAL benefits of have a TMX.  As a bonus it is much cheaper.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:31:45 am »
...................and there is nothing like fresh nutmeg.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:15:18 am »
I agree the smell of fresh grated nutmeg ...mmmm.  My mum always put a bit of it in mashed potato (which I also do), and must admit, when eating mash pot without it, it's just not the same.  Mashed Potato =  salt, pepper, grated nutmeg, butter, and a bit of milk or cream (which ever you prefer) Yummm.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:44:49 pm »
I agree that smaller amounts of the freshly grated is advisable.

One caveat - don't feed leftovers or scraps of foods seasoned with nutmeg to small dogs (cats usually will not eat it) the freshly grated nutmeg contains myristicin, a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, which in quite small amounts can cause convulsions in small dogs.
My vet unsuccessfully treated a Jack Russell terrier this past Christmas who had been given some pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream flavored with freshly grated nutmeg. 
Apparently the processing of pre-ground nutmeg destroys this component but still, it is better to avoid giving it to dogs.

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »
I agree that smaller amounts of the freshly grated is advisable.

One caveat - don't feed leftovers or scraps of foods seasoned with nutmeg to small dogs (cats usually will not eat it) the freshly grated nutmeg contains myristicin, a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, which in quite small amounts can cause convulsions in small dogs.
My vet unsuccessfully treated a Jack Russell terrier this past Christmas who had been given some pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream flavored with freshly grated nutmeg. 
Apparently the processing of pre-ground nutmeg destroys this component but still, it is better to avoid giving it to dogs.

Thanks for that information Andie,I never knew that about nutmeg :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:02 pm »
Thanks Andie - we have two small(ish) terriers that really love their tidbits from time to time.  Always careful with chocolate (although they did manage to demolish a friend's Easter gift a few years back - but luckily with no consequences) and onion etc. - but had no idea about the nutmeg . . .

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:48:06 pm »
Here's a site that lists the various foods that can cause problems for dogs.

Dog First Aid 101

Many years ago I had a basenji that dug up some freshly planted garlic and developed anemia - he recovered because he only ate a few cloves - the vet said that double the amount could have killed him. 
I only noticed it because when I brushed his teeth, prior to a show, his gums were very pale, grayish and he seemed to tire easily.
Only later did I notice that the plantings along the edge of the garden had been disturbed. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:09:19 pm »
 Andie -a few on that list I wouldn't have guessed . . . have subscribed to the site.  Many thanks once again!

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 11:35:31 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I didn't know that about dogs and nutmeg.  Also surprised about the apples etc, will need to be careful as the inlaws have an apple orchard where the dogs run free.