Author Topic: Strawberry streusel muffins  (Read 4766 times)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Strawberry streusel muffins
« on: June 08, 2012, 03:26:46 pm »
Strawberry Streusel Muffins

Imagine can be made with any fruit. I just had squashy strawbs to use up and made this up today based on something we had when away called strawberry shortcake.

I think strawberry shortcake is shortbread cream and strawbs, but this was a cake, cooked strawbs and some sort of topping.

Also could be made as cake or tray bake cut into pieces, increase baking time accordingly.

225 g SR flour
1 level t BP
75g butter
75g castor sug
150g milk (or buttermilk)

Chuck all into TMX togther mix till very smooth. Spoon into 9 large muffin cases in a deep muffin tin ( or cake tin)

I made a little hollow in the mixture and added a good dessert spoon of chopped soft strawberries ( and a few rasps) into each one and pressed down lightly.

Streusel Topping
25g SR flour
50g light brown sugar ( or dark brown, whatever you prefer or have in cupboard)
Add 25 g melted butter ( I used microwave)
mix well, I used my fingers at the end.

Sprinkle evenly using fingers over the fruit muffins. I think perhaps for muffins I need to increase slightly to 30 and 60 gms as I barely had enough to cover fruit.

Bake 180 ish 20 to 25 mins till cake batter all cooked when skewer comes out clean
Depends on oven.

I used Aga baking oven first set of runners for 24 mins

Serve warm with custard, cream or ice cream.
Freeze remainder.

Will report when family have eaten them.
They look fantastic!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Strawberry streusel muffins
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:24:01 pm »
These sound good DJ.Look forward to the taste test review from your family ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Re: Strawberry streusel muffins
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:05:01 pm »
2 hits so far.

I enjoyed mine and actually think there was enough topping. It went slightly soft over the squashed strawbs, but tasted great. Obviously a less soft fruit will remain crunchy.
I think apricots would be good too, and apples of course with cinnamon in the streusel topping.

DH not back yet to give his opinion.

Hope you enjoy, were very easy to make, and quite cheap.