Author Topic: Chelsea's Wraps  (Read 5443 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Chelsea's Wraps
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:15:58 am »
Hi all,

I know that these are mentioned in a number of other posts but having just devoured them for lunch I am so excited by the fact that I can *make my own wraps* that I felt I had to post it as a separate topic. That way they are much easier for people to find when they want to.

The recipe is at http://fulllittletummies.blogspot.com/2010/09/filling-tummies-with-yummy-wraps.html Thanks Chelsea!!!

I can easily see myself making these regularly as the kids love wraps. I would probably cut the dough into 4 though in order to make them big enough to fold properly for school. Of course this will mean a bigger fry pan but I think I will try them in my Bessemer dish which is certainly large enough. The real practice point will be getting them into the pan without folding them.

We have been buying the Mission brand (despite the fact that we know they have nasties in them). My youngest DS loves the spinach flavoured ones, so any suggestions on how to incorporate spinach into the recipe? Would you just add the leaves in and chop them first, then reduce the liquid?

Very excited! Sorry I didn't take a photo but we were starving.... of course.

Cheers,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea's Wraps
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:37:58 am »
I add baby spinach to my pizza dough. I just chuck a huge handful into the bowl, give it a quick chop then throw everything else in on top of it and proceed - think it would work the same with this one. They come out a lovely "Shrek" green. Anything in my house that is turned green in the TMX gets a Shrek label lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:46:06 am »
Thanks this is great as my boys cant eat wheat and normal flour or bakers flourm but seem ok with spelt so will be trying this for sure!

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:55:07 pm »
I made these again but with the spelt flour this time and didn't find them quite as pliable when wrapped around stuff. Did then use it again with plain flour and they were great. Next time I might try a mixture of plain and spelt.
Kerryn

Offline photocat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:49:18 am »
I make something very similar, can't remember where I got the recipe, may have been here ages ago, or a link from here maybe...

Anyway, to keep them pliable fresh from the pan, I use a ziploc bag (recycle/washed, I'm cheap like that  ;D), line it with a teatowel then lay each wrap on that and close up the bag while i do the next one. The steam keeps them soft and pliable. To keep the plastic bag off the food I use a small container that I put on top of the wraps, that holds the plastic up a bit. Does that make sense?

And I saw a comment at the end of the blog post about freezing them. I've never tried to freeze them once cooked, but saw an idea to make the dough, divide it into the correct portions for each wrap, then freeze the balls of dough. This may not save all that much time for some people but I like to 'soak' the flour, so I need to make them ahead somewhat and that puts me off making them at the last minute. But I can make up a few batches of dough, let them sit overnight, then freeze.

My family looooove these, they taste so much better than store bought ones!
http://making-cents-at-home.blogspot.com/ - My green and thrifty blog