Author Topic: Tuna Noodle & Corn Casserole  (Read 57109 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: TUNA CORN CASSEROLE
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 06:34:48 am »
I made this again last night and wasn't keen to use creamed corn from the can because of the additives.  I decided to have a go at making my own creamed corn using my TMX and an old recipe.  It was so quick and tasty that I will be doing it again.  If anyone is interested in making their own here is my recipe:

Creamed Corn
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup or 250ml milk
2 cups corn kernals tinned, thawed or fresh
Salt and pepper

Melt butter for 1-2 minutes at 900 on speed 2.
Add flour and stir in for 20 seconds on speed 3.
Set TMX cooking at 900 on speed 3 and gradually add milk.
When mixture thickens (when the liquid noise finishes) add corn kernals and cook for 3 minutes on 1000 at speed 3.
Season with salt and pepper.
Puree for 10 seconds on speed 6.

P.S - I know I probably shouldn't really post a recipe under another recipe, but I was too embarrased to post this anywhere else.  It is a rather basic recipe!  :)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 07:32:35 am »
Thank-you Chelsea,

I will be having a try at this.

Trudy

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 08:29:07 am »
That shows you how much I know - I would have thought creamed corn was just pureed whole corn kernels  :P :P :P :P :P  You learn something everyday. Thanks for enlightening me Chelsea. Is that quantity equal to a 400g can?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 09:32:43 am »
To get the 400g I had to make a double batch and I think that made about 600g.  So still weigh 400g in.  Left-overs are great in morneys, some soups and as a topping on toasted English muffins with some smoken salmon or small cooked prawns (and probably lots of other things as well).  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 07:07:18 pm »
Thanks for the creamed corn recipe - post it where it looks best - no real rules here
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: TUNA NOODLE & CORN CASSEROLE
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 12:58:30 pm »
Printed this off months ago, and finally got around to making it tonight.

DH is allergic to corn, so made it without.  Was delicious, and would have been even better with the corn to thicken the sauce.  I'll have to thicken it some other way next time, without changing the flavours too much.  When I was boiling the water to cook the pasta, I cooked some cauliflower in the basket, then chopped it up small enough to sneak into the casserole.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 10:08:55 am »
Made this tonight, and it is a fabulous recipe, so I thought I would bump it.

This was so quick and easy, and was made from stuff I had in the pantry and fridge, and didnt rely on me remembering to defrost something beforehand ;D

I added extra vegies (zucchini, celery and carrot) along with the onion and capsicum, to clean out the crisper and get extra veg into the little ones. 

This was soooooo tasty - all of us scoffed it down with gusto!

Thanks JD for another winning recipe  :-* :-*
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 10:21:39 am »
That's what is so good about this recipe - another one which is so versatile.  This was given to me by Trudy - I just converted it.

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 01:06:43 pm »
Hi judydawn, made this for tea tonight and I must admit was wondering how we (but especially hubby) would like it, with the different flavours vs the traditional tuna mornay.  We LOVED it and I found him tucking into the leftovers that I was hoping to take to work tomorrow for lunch. Thanks. Looks like another from the forum that goes into my special Thermomix folder I have made up. I have only had my thermomix for about 4-5 months but everytime I use it,it's a new experience of flavour from all you wonderful contributors. thanks

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 01:12:22 pm »
Glad you liked it pumpkin pie. It is surprisingly good and a handy one to put together for unexpected visitors with everything usually being in the pantry. Thanks for bumping it - other newcomers may now want to try it too.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 09:28:39 am »
.............and us old timers too. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 07:03:24 pm »
Another winner Judy  :-* :-* We all enjoyed the dish, thank you.The only change I made was that I used linguine and cooked it for 7 minutes and next time I will use Tuna in Oil, not Brine.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 01:53:18 am »
Good one CC, glad you liked it. :-*

Offline cgonsalv

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »
Thanks Judy and Chelsea.  We had a version of this for dinner tonight with a few variations.  Enjoyed by all even the 12 yo who hates everything.  I could not be bothered making separate creamed corn so merged the recipes. 

Olive oil, onion, garlic - 2 cloves (could not resist), 1 stick celery.  Did the TM thing.  Added the flour and milk according to Chelsea's recipe, then 2 cups frozen corn and TMed as per Chelsea's recipe.  Yummy creamed corn.  Then followed the rest of Judy's recipe. 

Could not bring myself to make the pasta in the TM so made the linguine (about 250g) on the stove and then mixed in with butter and moroccan spice - that was Layer 1.  Layer 2 was steamed broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini and carrots, Layer 3 the tuna sauce and Layer 4 grated tasty cheese (done with the trusty grater ... can the TM grate soft cheese???)  and rye sourdough breadcrumbs made in the TM that still had the sauce remnants ... cleaned it out nicely, and gave the breadcrumbs a nice taste. 

This would feed about 6.  For next time ... need a bit more tuna and more steamed vegies. 

Chris (Melbourne, Australia) - Thermomix Forum addict

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 12:10:13 pm »
Your variation sounds great cgonsalv, glad you enjoyed it. Yay to the 12 year old who hates everything - nice to win one  ;) ;)