Author Topic: Recipes using whey  (Read 5004 times)

Offline CraftyMum

• View Profile
Recipes using whey
« on: June 23, 2012, 06:09:38 am »
I am giving my new TMX a workout and loving it so far.

My second batch of yoghurt with 99.9% fat free didn't set so maybe I'll go back to the full fat version.

Just wondering if anyone has any good uses for whey that I get off the yogurt when making yoghurt cheese. Ive seen comments about using it instead of water in cooking, but does it change the taste significantly?

If you have any recipe suggestions I would love to hear some :)

Thanks
Sandra

Offline kipje

• View Profile
Re: Recipes using whey
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:22:10 am »
I you use it in bread instead of water it will make the bread a bit softer and slightly sweeter.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 01:02:41 pm »

My second batch of yoghurt with 99.9% fat free didn't set so maybe I'll go back to the full fat version.

Thanks
Sandra

What a shame Sandra! I use skim milk in my yoghurt and has set every time. Could you have just bumped it accidently? Is it faffa's recipe you are using?

Offline CraftyMum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:47:53 am »

Thanks
Sandra

What a shame Sandra! I use skim milk in my yoghurt and has set every time. Could you have just bumped it accidently? Is it faffa's recipe you are using?

I'm thinking it didn't work because I used the long life milk in the carton - maybe that had something to do with it??? I'm turning it into labna to see how that goes.

I might try to make ricotta out of the whey then use the left over whey from that in my next bread.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 05:01:57 am »
Hm... I use long life milk too Crafty Mum. You know you can skip the heating of the milk in the first step if you use long life?

Sounds like good ideas to use your whey ;)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 07:46:35 am »
I've just  made a batch of ricotta and I'm going to use the whey from that in some bread I'm making.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/