Author Topic: Composting  (Read 37634 times)

Offline Frogdancer

• View Profile
Re: Composting
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 11:23:59 am »
I kept my old food processor to mince up scraps for my worm farms. Like someone who posted above, I don't like the thought of using the thermomix for worm fodder. Irrartional, bet there it is...

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 07:12:16 pm »
Coffee grounds are great in any compost or straight onto the garden - I haven't actually seen this, but I am told that slugs and snails either do not like to or will not cross coffee grounds!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 12:11:45 pm »
Fantastic, i can use coffee grounds instead of buying snail pellets.

Thank you

H ;D
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Tina47

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 06:49:08 am »
I have 3 Bokashi bins, in which you put all of your kitchen waste, then a layer of fermented grains, sort of pickles the mixture. I then leave for 3 weeks, hence the 3 bins, after 3 weeks I empty the first bin into a trench in the garden, cover with a layer of soil and in 3 weeks it has all been eaten up by microbes. My very sandy soil in Fairview Park, SA has slowly been transformed. :-*

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 06:53:55 am »
Coffee grounds are great in any compost or straight onto the garden - I haven't actually seen this, but I am told that slugs and snails either do not like to or will not cross coffee grounds!
The slugs and snails actually loooove coffee grounds.     :o That is the good thing about it.    ;D
They are so attracted they eat it and the caffeine speeds up their little hearts to the point they have heart attacks and die..
We used it in Adelaide where we had a real problem with snails.   And we had a couple friends who owned coffee shops who were very happy to give us the used grounds each week.  A real eco friendly solution.  And if you use the grounds while fresh the garden smells nice.   
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline Melinda

• View Profile
    • Life of a Military Wife
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 09:15:13 am »
I have 3 Bokashi bins, in which you put all of your kitchen waste, then a layer of fermented grains, sort of pickles the mixture. I then leave for 3 weeks, hence the 3 bins, after 3 weeks I empty the first bin into a trench in the garden, cover with a layer of soil and in 3 weeks it has all been eaten up by microbes. My very sandy soil in Fairview Park, SA has slowly been transformed. :-*

I love my bokashi bins as well, they just take ages to get full enough to dig in!

We're only three people in the household, although we eat a LOT of veg.  However up until very recently we had 4-5 chickens so most of our scraps went to them or into the worm farm.  The bokashi only receives stuff the worms and chooks won't eat - onion, citrus, meats.

I've always blitzed my worm feed in a blender, before I had the tmx.  I don't have any problem putting it in there, it all gets washed!

Hehehe, when our neighbour found out we no longer had chickens she asked if I would mind giving my kitchen scraps to her chooks now!  It's not a problem, I hate wasting the scraps (we're about to move interstate so no worms, chickens or bokashi) and she gives me eggs.  Win-Win!
Melinda

Offline shiverama

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 12:07:41 pm »
Bigger scraps to chooks and I thermomix sad looking vegies for my worms as they don't have any teeth and what's left over goes to compost- nothing goes to waste
24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day- coincidence?????